Confirmed with Link: Glendale picks AEG for Gila River Arena

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You are disposable. It's business. Your lamentations would matter if they weren't completely offset by gains the team realizes by being elsewhere. The team and the league don't genuinely care about you and never have. It's all about maximizing revenue. If the stars aligned for IA, they'd move the team to a much more profitable market. There's no loyalty.

No one is asking you to be happy about all of this or a potential move. West valley fans should be thanked for their support over the years. It's just not an equal tradeoff.

I guess you have never been in business. Every single customer you have is as valuable as the next one regardless of where they are from. That's how you build your base and brand. You treat every customer with respect. It's a lot easier to keep a customer than obtain new ones. To say they are disposable is just plain ridiculous.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I disapprove of all the username changes in this forum recently. I get all happy that there are new people, then it's like, "huh? joined in 2009? oh ..." and then I remember that we're all alone on our island.

For my part, I changed mine because nobody could pronounce "zyllyx" correctly when we met up at the arena, and if anything I embody the very definition of "feckless." It was a good move for me. :D

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What?

Yeah, providing financial security to the team and funding operations. Not important at all.

Look, I understand where you're coming from.. But I really don't understand it

Our ownership group has done an excellent job in improving the gameday experience, social media, marketing, and the game presentation as a whole. The team is highly competitive right now. What more do you need to see?

PS, the team could've left this past summer.. How does that NOT get through to you? You really have no idea how hard LeBlanc and the team are working on keeping the team here and planning for 2 possibilities for great new arenas that will actually REMEDY all of the team's issues.

This.... in SPADES

I could not have said it better.:handclap:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
BTW, if any of you are interested in reading about what's going on with the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn - the arena that the Nets and Islanders now share - there is a thread at BoH that is somewhat illuminating.

Apparently, the Islanders have told fans who sit in obstructed view seats to either watch the Jumbotron or follow the game on their mobile devices. :amazed:

I'd hope if the Coyotes and Suns partner on a building, they'd have a different solution... :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
BTW, if any of you are interested in reading about what's going on with the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn - the arena that the Nets and Islanders now share - there is a thread at BoH that is somewhat illuminating.

Apparently, the Islanders have told fans who sit in obstructed view seats to either watch the Jumbotron or follow the game on their mobile devices. :amazed:

I'd hope if the Coyotes and Suns partner on a building, they'd have a different solution... :laugh:

How the hell did anybody in their right mind let that happen? How can you have obstructed seats in a new arena.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
But didn't they know before it was built that the Devils were going to be a tenant?

Yes, I believe so. (Islanders, though, not Devils.)

That's one advantage GRA will always have over an ASU or Suns barn, location aside - it is purpose-built for hockey and thus doesn't suffer from compromises because it has to be multi-purpose.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
But didn't they know before it was built that the [Islanders] were going to be a tenant?

Not exactly. If I remember correctly, the Islanders were looking at building a new Arena (along the scope of what the Coyotes initially set out to do--arena and entertainment/business district) for the team but the communities kept nixing it, so they looked at other options.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
My irritation is not with the fact that the team would move; it's that based on the rhetoric an entire segment of fans - many of whom have stuck with this team through far more than they should ever have been expected to - can be considered disposable for the "greater good" of the franchise. Why would we in the West Valley be any more happy about hearing it from you than we were hearing it from Manitoba a few years ago? Nobody likes to feel useless.
C'mon man, moving to another city and moving to a different part of the same city are two fundamentally different things. Furthermore no one here thinks you or other fans on the west side are disposable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, I believe so. (Islanders, though, not Devils.)

That's one advantage GRA will always have over an ASU or Suns barn, location aside - it is purpose-built for hockey and thus doesn't suffer from compromises because it has to be multi-purpose.

Right, the Islanders. Isn't there other rinks that are dual purpose and don't have obstructed view seats?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If you think this is about attendance, you need to cut down on the drinking before 5pm. The team will play in whatever arena gives them the best deal. If AEG puts together the best package (and they sure as hell have the experience dealing with NHL franchises) they'll stay in Glendale. If ASU can subsidize the team, they'll move to Tempe. I don't know how they can possibly get a good deal splitting an arena with the Suns when the Suns will undoubtedly get the best of the revenues but hey, if that comes out on top they'll move down town. The sad part about all of this is they had the sweetheart deal and blew it by their own piss poor management. Obviously Glendale had them by the balls or they would have fought it in court. It still pisses me off that they screwed it up like they did.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Even a modest increase in attendance generates far more revenue than any city or operator could offer. It's absolutely about attendance.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you think this is about attendance, you need to cut down on the drinking before 5pm. The team will play in whatever arena gives them the best deal. If AEG puts together the best package (and they sure as hell have the experience dealing with NHL franchises) they'll stay in Glendale. If ASU can subsidize the team, they'll move to Tempe. I don't know how they can possibly get a good deal splitting an arena with the Suns when the Suns will undoubtedly get the best of the revenues but hey, if that comes out on top they'll move down town. The sad part about all of this is they had the sweetheart deal and blew it by their own piss poor management. Obviously Glendale had them by the balls or they would have fought it in court. It still pisses me off that they screwed it up like they did.

It's ALL about attendance. Every business relies on customers, the Coyotes are no different. Having a good deal will do you no good if you have no customers.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Interesting that we haven't heard much of a potential Salt River deal. I wonder if that comes to the forefront again.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
On this one my friend your wrong.:)

Horse ****. If the team wins people will come no matter where the arena is. This is about the best deal for the team. Were they talking about moving when they had the sweat heart deal with Glendale? Of course not. You'll see a bump the first couple years when the team moves then it will go right back to where it is now unless the team wins. How's the Suns' attendance looking?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
And I would have bet the house that was your take. 100% certainty we'd disagree on every aspect of this issue.

One of us appears to understand the underlying math, the other is relying on a simple take that trashes ownership. There are no more sweetheart deals to be had approaching the scale of what Glendale once gave the team. It's now about attendance more than ever.

Interesting that we haven't heard much of a potential Salt River deal. I wonder if that comes to the forefront again.

The tribes could spend with a lot less oversight. My guess is that they want to lure the Suns as well.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL is wary of the idea of putting a franchise on reservation land. Guess we'll find out in a couple of months.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Well, the SUNS did get 16,800 after losing 9 straight.
Jakey is right..
Attendance is everything and our team if we want to keep it has to succeed in business,,,,and that business is.............attendance
By the way, We are now in second to last place in attendance..
The Islanders have now pulled ahead of us.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Underlying math = your guess. This is something I will not take as fact like you keep throwing it around. This coming from the same guy that thinks the west valley is all poor people and meth labs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad