Glendale and Ice Arizona Agree on New Lease - City Council Passes It.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, I'm not saying hockey can't work here. I'm saying if they stay in Gongdale this garbage is going to keep popping up every other year until they move anyway and that to me is absolutely unbearable. So I want the yotes either in Phoenix, or gone, because if they go back this crap will keep happening and we'll lose them anyway. If they have to go make it like ripping off a bandaid.

I disagree. If there is a new agreement, this will not be popping up every other year.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I disagree. If there is a new agreement, this will not be popping up every other year.

That was supposed to be the case when they signed this deal two years ago. Gongdale has been botching everything sports related, until they prove otherwise I'll continue to believe they're idiots who will shoot themselves in the foot at every turn.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That was supposed to be the case when they signed this deal two years ago. Gongdale has been botching everything sports related, until they prove otherwise I'll continue to believe they're idiots who will shoot themselves in the foot at every turn.

I don't believe anyone thought this would happened but did, so I think the lawyers for the Coyotes will have it so airtight the COG will toe the line.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I don't believe anyone thought this would happened but did, so I think the lawyers for the Coyotes will have it so airtight the COG will toe the line.

Possible, I don't think the COG necessarily needs anything valid to cause troubles though. I mean hell they don't seem to have anything concrete this time even.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
These are the same people who didn't take advantage of the Super Bowl being here. With the NFL in town, you can basically print money unless you are complete morons. Yep, Mayor Weird and crew screwed that up so anything is possible. I have to believe that any agreement coming out of this mess will be structured to keep there from being any further negotiations though. I'm sure the lawyers will milk that extra effort for several hundred more billable hours.

We'll still have the out clause though so our northern friends won't have to find a new target for a few years.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
These are the same people who didn't take advantage of the Super Bowl being here. With the NFL in town, you can basically print money unless you are complete morons. Yep, Mayor Weird and crew screwed that up so anything is possible. I have to believe that any agreement coming out of this mess will be structured to keep there from being any further negotiations though. I'm sure the lawyers will milk that extra effort for several hundred more billable hours.

We'll still have the out clause though so our northern friends won't have to find a new target for a few years.

They could but will the COG stop at negotiations? I just think absolutely anything they can do to mess it up they will, I'm sure we can't even imagine what crap they'll pull next. The yotes need to be out of Glendale, one way or the other imo.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The COG are the biggest morons living. Your so correct about the Super Bowl, yet they turned there cheek against the Cardinals and the NFL. How do you think the Cardinals feel?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The COG are the biggest morons living. Your so correct about the Super Bowl, yet they turned there cheek against the Cardinals and the NFL. How do you think the Cardinals feel?

Nyah.... I have to defend CoG on this.

The NFL wanted Glendale to force the local hoteliers to offer cheap discount rooms to the NFL so they could profit from it selling packages to their corporate "friends".

The Cardinals aren't without their own sense of greediness as well. Note how they undercut IA's parking prices for events at GRA. They wanted to muscle in on the play fields the city owns next to UoP and take control of them under the guise that they would let youth groups use the tent when training camps weren't going on.

The parking issues at UoP can be shared by both parties. Glendale squandered the money they had set aside for building a parking garage, and the Bidwills have free reign to build one on their own (on the UoP grounds) if they choose to.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nyah.... I have to defend CoG on this.

The NFL wanted Glendale to force the local hoteliers to offer cheap discount rooms to the NFL so they could profit from it selling packages to their corporate "friends".

The Cardinals aren't without their own sense of greediness as well. Note how they undercut IA's parking prices for events at GRA. They wanted to muscle in on the play fields the city owns next to UoP and take control of them under the guise that they would let youth groups use the tent when training camps weren't going on.

The parking issues at UoP can be shared by both parties. Glendale squandered the money they had set aside for building a parking garage, and the Bidwills have free reign to build one on their own (on the UoP grounds) if they choose to.

Tempe did it and other cities do it. No reason the COG could not have done it. The Cardinals and the Bidwill's are another story.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Monday, July 20, 2015

A. The City Council will meet with the City Attorney for legal advice, discussion and consultation regarding the city’s position in pending or contemplated litigation, including settlement discussions conducted in order to avoid or resolve litigation. (A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) 4))
B. Council will meet to discuss and consider records exempt by law from public inspection and are specifically required to be maintained as confidential by state or federal law. (A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(4))

https://glendale-az.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=A&ID=416091&GUID=EA937482-DE1F-4D14-A4D5-C27C12040718

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is it true that the Suns are stuck playing at Talking Stick Arena until 2022?

Yes, but there are some additional details. The Suns can opt out in 2022 if the arena is considered obsolete by NBA standards. The team can initiate that review process to determine if the arena is obsolete starting in 2019.

Phoenix probably can't let it go that late if they want to keep the team downtown. The closer they get to the deadline date without a new building under construction the greater the potential for the Suns to go another route like the proposed Talking Stick Fields location. Figure Phoenix probably wants to have shovels in the ground by 2019 or so.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I'm just the messenger here, but an oversimplified take on the Coyotes' arena issue made John Oliver's segment about taxpayer funded stadiums. Begins at 13:58.

I know the fan who calls Glendale childish in the segment. She was the one woman in my roller rec league a couple years back.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Oliver would have a great point if the Arena wasn't built yet or if it was already paid off. Unfortunately, there it sits. A money suck. Glendale has a choice to make. The "undo" button isn't an option.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Desert Ice 11 from last thread said:
This reminds me of the South Park episode Canada on strike. Glendale gets something small to bring back to the people and say "we won, here is our prize" but really they lost more than what they have gained

I'm pretty sure something like this will happen too. Today I was figuring this will happen: Ice Arizona will get less money, say $6 million per season, but in exchange for less money they will keep all revenue... stadium name rights, ticket tax, parking fees, all revenue from events, etc. So for the short term Glendale will pay less, but if Ice Arizona turns things around then they will be making a killing and not have to share the profits. It would also motivate Ice Arizona to fill that arena up the other 323 days per year.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Tempe did it and other cities do it. No reason the COG could not have done it. The Cardinals and the Bidwill's are another story.

None of those cities had to fork up $2.5 million worth of security and first response either.

The NFL already makes billions in profits on the Super Bowl. They don't need to force communities to help siphon additional profits off the local businesses.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
None of those cities had to fork up $2.5 million worth of security and first response either.

The NFL already makes billions in profits on the Super Bowl. They don't need to force communities to help siphon additional profits off the local businesses.

If Glendale played their cards right, they could have made the Super Bowl a huge positive. It's not everyday you can get attention of the world. Big mistake on their part.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If Glendale played their cards right, they could have made the Super Bowl a huge positive. It's not everyday you can get attention of the world. Big mistake on their part.

The COG is one disaster after another. They just lost a huge arbitration, they are getting killed by the tribe in that dispute, and now they are trying to back out of the IA deal. To end the bad press, IA likely throws them a bone, and stays in GRA long term or until they can cut a deal with the Suns/City of Phoenix for a new arena. The Coyotes are not moving with expansion coming. The NHL and every owner will not let it happen because of the 1 billion each for 2 franchises they might be getting in the next few years. The COG has a crappy case, they will lose if this goes to court.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The COG is one disaster after another. They just lost a huge arbitration, they are getting killed by the tribe in that dispute, and now they are trying to back out of the IA deal. To end the bad press, IA likely throws them a bone, and stays in GRA long term or until they can cut a deal with the Suns/City of Phoenix for a new arena. The Coyotes are not moving with expansion coming. The NHL and every owner will not let it happen because of the 1 billion each for 2 franchises they might be getting in the next few years. The COG has a crappy case, they will lose if this goes to court.

Could not have said it better myself.:handclap:

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Help an outsider here: COG is, in essence, a blue-collar suburb of Phoenix in the West Valley, correct? Is this a case, to a point, of the Clampetts getting all this money thrust at them because they have this land everyone initially wants, and now they're realizing that the Bill-yard Room isn't made of real Bill-yards?

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
Help an outsider here: COG is, in essence, a blue-collar suburb of Phoenix in the West Valley, correct? Is this a case, to a point, of the Clampetts getting all this money thrust at them because they have this land everyone initially wants, and now they're realizing that the Bill-yard Room isn't made of real Bill-yards?
LOL, I have no reply to make except, you made me laugh with that reference. I don't know how many others remember the Billy-ard room with the pot passers, but I do!!!! Maybe COG needs to learn their go-zinta's:laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I think it's either terrible legal advice, someone with a vendetta against the yotes, or most likely a few council makers trying to make themselves look good for voters by getting out of a "terrible deal". Possibly a combination of all 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad