Former Bruins Glen Murray

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Wish I had gotten to see more of Murray early in his career. I was alive but young.

My most distinctive memories are at the end when he was completely broken (which just so happened to be when the Bruins finally arose from decade + long stupor) and a totally ineffective player. The old highlights I’ve seen of him when the team was still in the Garden make him look like a pretty exciting player when he could still skate.

Hard to believe he had that big year only four or five years from just falling completely out of the league.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Muzz is a favorite of mine. He was such a leader on the team.

Years ago I was going to bring my Mom (she was elderly) to a game and asked one of my friends who worked behind the bench if there was anyway Muzz could give Mom a puck when she came to the next game. She got a signed puck and a signed photo from Muzz.. My Dad was from Nova Scotia (like Muzz) and my mother always liked him as a player.

It was nice of Glen and she got a big kick out of the puck and photo.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The best goal scorer this franchise had between Neely and Pastrnak. Very underrated. Had a huge peak with Thornton, but very surprisingly stayed on and was scoring a respectable amount of goals for a few years afterward. Trading him for Stevens in the first place was a mistake, but he didn't really come into his own until he went to LA. He and Stumpel turned out to be a very good return for Allison even though it looked like MOC was just re-acquiring old Bruins for no reason. Meshed perfectly with Thornton.

He always seemed so old to me when he was playing with Savard at the end of his career, but he retired at age 35 - the age Marchand is now. I guess it's all relative. He was a product of the 90s in a rapidly changing league so he looked more outdated than he was. He and Axelsson were the last holdovers of the pre-lockout Bruins.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Wish I had gotten to see more of Murray early in his career. I was alive but young.

My most distinctive memories are at the end when he was completely broken (which just so happened to be when the Bruins finally arose from decade + long stupor) and a totally ineffective player. The old highlights I’ve seen of him when the team was still in the Garden make him look like a pretty exciting player when he could still skate.

Hard to believe he had that big year only four or five years from just falling completely out of the league.
Kid had an awesome shot. He was inconsistent though. Got hot the cold. And was not great on back end. But he could pick corners boy

That team should have accomplished more.
Thornton injury to his ribs killed us.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He became too one dimensional towards the end.
If I’m being honest, I think he was always kind of one dimensional. It just didn’t matter at the time because he could score. Once the league moved towards more mobility and skating like it is now, he became a dinosaur and the holes in his game became more obvious. But again, prior to that he brought a lot of value

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The genesis of No Show Joe. Injured or not there's no excuse for a 0-0-0, -6 line.

But looking back after 20 years, I have major nostalgia goggles for The 700lb Line
Yeah, I've gone back and forth on it a lot over the last 19 years. I used to hate Thornton and blame him for being a choker, then I started to let things go and accepted that he was debilitated by injury. But now I've come full circle qnd think that if he wasn't able to produce, he should've done the right thing and sat out, especially when that team went out and got center depth with Nylander, Rolston, Travis Green, and even a young Bergeron.

The kicker for me is that Saku Koivu was also playing through a bad injury that playoffs but he lit up the scoresheet. Going 0-0-0 in seven games with top line and #1 PP ice time is really hard to do. You'd think he would've picked up a secondary assistant st some point by just touching a puck, especially since Knuble, Murray, and Gonchar had good scoring numbers that series, but nothing. But he did pick up 14 penalty minutes, all minor penalties that put us on the PK. Just overall one of the worst series a Bruin ever had. If they just rested him for Philly in the second round and had Nylander and Rolston slide up the lineup in the first round, they win that series and have a better run.

Reactions: Gordoff

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah, I've gone back and forth on it a lot over the last 19 years. I used to hate Thornton and blame him for being a choker, then I started to let things go and accepted that he was debilitated by injury. But now I've come full circle qnd think that if he wasn't able to produce, he should've done the right thing and sat out, especially when that team went out and got center depth with Nylander, Rolston, Travis Green, and even a young Bergeron.

The kicker for me is that Saku Koivu was also playing through a bad injury that playoffs but he lit up the scoresheet. Going 0-0-0 in seven games with top line and #1 PP ice time is really hard to do. You'd think he would've picked up a secondary assistant st some point by just touching a puck, especially since Knuble, Murray, and Gonchar had good scoring numbers that series, but nothing. But he did pick up 14 penalty minutes, all minor penalties that put us on the PK. Just overall one of the worst series a Bruin ever had. If they just rested him for Philly in the second round and had Nylander and Rolston slide up the lineup in the first round, they win that series and have a better run.

Yup.

Hindsight he should've sat and put Nylander between Murray/Knuble, Rolston on L2 with Samsonov and Bergeron on L3 with Axelsson

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
gettyimages-80331409-612x612.jpg

I feel old. :wally:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I liked Murray AKA Baby Cam, but no way he was a better goal scorer than Rick Middleton.
Middleton scored over 100 more goals and played almost the same amount of games.
The best goal scorer this franchise had between Neely and Pastrnak. Very underrated. Had a huge peak with Thornton, but very surprisingly stayed on and was scoring a respectable amount of goals for a few years afterward. Trading him for Stevens in the first place was a mistake, but he didn't really come into his own until he went to LA. He and Stumpel turned out to be a very good return for Allison even though it looked like MOC was just re-acquiring old Bruins for no reason. Meshed perfectly with Thornton.

He always seemed so old to me when he was playing with Savard at the end of his career, but he retired at age 35 - the age Marchand is now. I guess it's all relative. He was a product of the 90s in a rapidly changing league so he looked more outdated than he was. He and Axelsson were the last holdovers of the pre-lockout Bruins.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad