Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Fired

Bishop007

Jun 26, 2013
Heard that which is interesting in regards to Sigalet. I wonder how much input the goalies themselves had in that decision?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Sounds like he might be leaning towards a more experienced coach, says that experience in the league is important.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Some quick notes from the conference:
  • 'Glens a good coach and a wonderful person, our team didn't get where we needed it to, we had certain players under performing'.
  • 'to get us (where we need to get) I concluded we needed to make a change'
  • 'we relied too much on too few'
  • 'this doesn't mean we won't make other changes'
  • 'I am clear in the profile we have (for coach) it isn't defined by new guy/experienced guy. experience in this league is important.'
  • 'I'm not going to comment on that' - reply to question of if candidates available affected the choice to fire Gulutzan
  • 'Glen has 1 year remaining on his contract' so the 3rd year was not a club option
  • 'there are greater areas influenced by the coach, I would say the special teams'
  • 'our players share a large responsibility' - regarding the change

Bishop007

Jun 26, 2013
You can probably throw Dave Tippet and Todd Rierden (assistant with washington known for developing young talent) into the pool of possible coaches as well.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
You can probably throw Dave Tippet and Todd Rierden (assistant with washington known for developing young talent) into the pool of possible coaches as well.

Teams tried to interview Rierden last off season and the Caps said no. Probably who will replace Trotz in a few days.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
The rumour earlier was that Washington didn't grant permission for Rierden to other teams as he's most likely to take over when/if Trotz leaves.

Edit: FF beat me to it

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Paul MacLean is still out there too.
Paul McLean was really exposed as a poor coach in Ottawa, though, wasn't he? Dave Cameron got more out of that team than McLean did. Why do we want him?

I would much rather capitalize on narrative bias with a guy like Barry Trotz if he becomes available. A guy who has consistently made his team win a ton of games, but may become available due to failure in the playoffs.

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I definitely consider myself as a person who doesn’t like to point the finger at the coach (thought Hartley should have got another year), but it was clearly time for Glen to be fired.

He had no balls

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think Peters would do any better than GG

And no matter who we hire I bet half the people will complain about their player usage. Because every coach will do things that annoy fans in that fashion.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Paul McLean was really exposed as a poor coach in Ottawa, though, wasn't he? Dave Cameron got more out of that team than McLean did. Why do we want him?

I would much rather capitalize on narrative bias with a guy like Barry Trotz if he becomes available. A guy who has consistently made his team win a ton of games, but may become available due to failure in the playoffs.

Trotz is likely another stepping stone to a Cup if it's true that he can't get it done in the postseason, but I'm fine with that, I think (in most cases) a team needs to put together a series of deep runs over five or six years before they can realistically take hardware home.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'm on the AV train.

Also, fairly sure Brouwer is getting traded or bought out this year.

Sure Bill Peters hasn't had the best track record with Carolina (who IMO have a team similar to ours so I don't think he's the answer), but why not go after AV? If he doesn't want to come here then OK, it's his decision, but at least interview the guy please.

Bishop007

Jun 26, 2013
After listening to the Tre interview on SN960, I get the feeling he is looking for a more demanding type of coach...don't think AV fits the profile, but I may be wrong.

Aug 3, 2010
I'd be okay with Darryl or Barry...
Brain did the thing where I read it as "Darryl or Barryl" and was like, "what is that name/who is this??"

I don't know enough about Peters other than he's an Alberta kid, coaching a failing Hurricanes franchise. In other words, "perfect for the job"... :sarcasm:

At this point I'm definitely into a more experienced coach (10+ years in the NHL as a head coach) who has a consistent playoff resume, who isn't known to be too friendly with the players on a daily basis. It's fine to be "a player's coach" but at the end of the day there must be some professional separation of duties. I don't know whether that means Vigneault or Trotz or Sutter or whomever is the best choice, but the team isn't really at a point where they need "a young promising coach who can grow with a young, promising team." That was 3-4 seasons ago; now the team needs "an experienced coach who can guide a young, inconsistent team to win."

My greatest criticism of Gulutzan, aside from his other shortcomings (misuse of roster/slow to change, temper tantrums, etc.) is the belief that I simply felt he did not read the flow of the game well. He was prone to over-reliance on Coach's Challenges to the point that he rarely ever used his timeouts, whether the team was down by 1 with 3 minutes to go (not that they played well at all 6 on 5 regardless) or the team had just been scored on 3 times within 5 minutes in the top of the second.

Time and again, he refused to support his bench with extra time when it was needed most - something that Hartley understood far better. It was almost a sort of arrogance, in the way he denied the usage of the timeout as a coaching tool, relying on the technology around him to gauge whether an opposing player was half an inch offside instead.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Some quick notes from the conference:
  • 'Glens a good coach and a wonderful person, our team didn't get where we needed it to, we had certain players under performing'.
  • 'to get us (where we need to get) I concluded we needed to make a change'
  • 'we relied too much on too few'
  • 'this doesn't mean we won't make other changes'
  • 'I am clear in the profile we have (for coach) it isn't defined by new guy/experienced guy. experience in this league is important.'
  • 'I'm not going to comment on that' - reply to question of if candidates available affected the choice to fire Gulutzan
  • 'Glen has 1 year remaining on his contract' so the 3rd year was not a club option
  • 'there are greater areas influenced by the coach, I would say the special teams'
  • 'our players share a large responsibility' - regarding the change

I've been saying this since last year. Good coach, not the right fit.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
The Calgary Flames, from the media signalling today will almost assuredly hire Carolina Hurricanes castoff Bill Peters but a name that should yet probably won't garner any consideration is that of Jay Leach, Head Coach of the Providence Bruins. Look at the job Leach has done grooming some of the Bruins younger players, some of which weren't all that highly heralded, ala Danton Heinen and Matt Gryzcylk among may others that have become serviceable NHL pieces.. From a developmental perspective, Leach would do wonders for some of the stunted Flames farm pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad