Confirmed with Link: Glen Gulutzan, Assistants Fired

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
tenor.gif

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I honestly wasn't that mad at GG or Jerrard but thank christ Cameron is gone.

Now maybe we can have a PP that doesn't actually steal our momentum.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Never like to see someone lose their job, but I’m not surprised by the news.

Hopefully you guys get a coach that better suits your team and you get back to the playoffs next year.

Good luck.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Where's the Bill Peters stuff coming from? I missed that.
Lot of media speculation that the Flames have requested permission to interview Peters, who has an out clause in his contract that he can exercise until Friday. Many think that firing GG is tied to a potential Peters hiring

Reactions: Penaltykiller17

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Lot of media speculation that the Flames have requested permission to interview Peters, who has an out clause in his contract that he can exercise before Friday. Many think that firing GG is tied to a potential Peters hiring

Wouldn't shock me then if they announce Peters at the press conference.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I’m glad the Flames are gonna try out someone new. Gulutzan was about as far from adaptable as a coach could be. If they kept him on for another season there wouldn’t be much else to expect but more of the same.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hopefully they have a plan in place and aren't just hoping to land a big fish. Treliving put himself on notice here too, if his next hire strikes out it's going to be his ass.

Maybe a little surprised but not sad to see them go. What a uninspired and ugly end to the Flames' season. Never a good sign when the team looks like it quits early. Personally would rather Peters over Trotz or Vigneault.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
I still say the Flames should have kept Hartley as coach! He was way better than Gulutzan!!

I am glad they finally fired him and the 2 assistants. About time!

Now the question is... who do they bring in?

Aug 3, 2010
Gulutzan was a puzzling hire for me when he was first announced; never seemed like the guy to bring the team to where it needed to be. Hiring Cameron (and possibly Jerrard) were also decisions I never really agreed with. His "temper tantrums" were just getting out of hand and were kind of embarassing, really. And in retrospect, Gulutzan's successes were "unsustainable": requiring a 7-game+ streak of wins to pull the team out of mediocrity each season wasn't going to work in the long run.

Not a huge fan of Sigalet but he has managed to keep his job again. Just not sure how well he really develops young goalies.

I'm certain posters will disagree, but I still miss Hartley - I feel like he deserved one more half-season, but it could be argued either way. I miss the energy that the team played with in prior seasons, more than anything else.

Lastly, hoping (vainly) the next coach is "The One" to bring the Flames into consistent relevancy and postseason success (a la California teams for the past decade.) With the League expansions, there's more competition every season, and I've never been a fan of coaching carousels. This next hire is going to be the 5th coach in just over 10 seasons: Keenan (2007-2009), Sutter (2009-2012), Hartley (2012-2016), Gulutzan (2016-2018); one can only hope the right direction is given.

Last edited:

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Flames were 82-68-14 during the Gulutzan era, exactly 0.500 hockey. Just mediocre is what I would describe the last two seasons.

Reactions: Janks

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Happy tears the moment the stream started.

Just please don't hire Peters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad