Post-Game Talk: Glass Removed, Fresh Air Gets In, Pens Win 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
An honest question --

Is it possible for you to make a post that in some way is not a criticism of MAF? I have never seen one from you... As soon as I saw your name/avatar, I said to myself "how far into this post will I have to read before I see Fleury-bashing, even though he didn't earn any last night." You didn't disappoint -- only a few sentences in was all it took. Obviously, he has many, many games where criticism is deserved. But, when he plays a basically perfect game -- good positionally, good rebound control, not one single episode of flopping, and even relatively good playing the puck behind the net, AND registers a shutout, is it still absolutely necessary to denigrate the guy (as if his play was in any way sub-par last night?) It's a pretty tired act...

MAF has failed this team time and time again with the precision of a swiss watch.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
It´s strange that Dejan is insulting Beau in some of his tweets. Beau played a really good game..

I don't know. BB has looked kind of meh in the playoffs. He's been weak along the boards and easy to take the puck off him. If he's in open space then he's ok, but when it's tight he looks out of place.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I just don't get what people see as an effective fourth liner? A big goomba who fights and hits?

I want fourth liners who posess the puck, cycle, keep the puck in the attacking zone, and keep momentum rolling.

That's what Gibbons does. People who never played the game don't understand how exhausting it is to chase those little water bugs around and their speed scares the hell out of players.

So true.

Vitale, Gibbons and Megna would drive any D combo nuts. Speed kills.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think Glass was fairly decent for the majority of the season, but he's bad in the playoffs. Maybe not as bad as last season, but definitely bad enough to sit.

I like physicality on the 4th line, but the lack of ability between Glass and Adams is just poison. You can't establish a cycle with guys like that. The puck's already in the process of being cleared by the time they start their forecheck. If you even want to call it that.

Although, I will say that Adams' game has improved in the playoffs.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I don't know. BB has looked kind of meh in the playoffs. He's been weak along the boards and easy to take the puck off him. If he's in open space then he's ok, but when it's tight he looks out of place.
Absolutely don´t agree. He´s really strong along the boards and creative once he wins those battles. Maybe not ready for TOP6 duties but a solid solid 3rd liner.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It´s strange that Dejan is insulting Beau in some of his tweets. Beau played a really good game..

Yeah it seemed like Madden has been critical of Bennett as well. He says that he's not fit to be a LW, but I think he's been fine. I'm sure that he'd be better suited on the RW, but I don't think it really matters. I guess since Madden can't complain about Geno right now he's running out of things to say.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
I thought Borts played a great game. First time in years I can remember a Pen's player giving someone on the other team the same treatment Sid/Geno get. St. Louis was visibly frustrated.

Also impressed with Letang's 180 from the start of CBJ series. I was nervous when he fanned on a stretch pass while spinning in his own zone, but instead of trying to fire it again like usual, he recouped himself and passed to the other d-man. Great stuff.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Funny on the Rangers board, they are complaining that they should have got more PP's due to all the blatant interference that should have been called on the Pens. :laugh:

They are delusional. The Rangers ran interference all night and rarely were called on it. I saw Pouliot do it at least 3 times. The one time he skated directly into Letang and held onto him.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I thought Borts played a great game. First time in years I can remember a Pen's player giving someone on the other team the same treatment Sid/Geno get. St. Louis was visibly frustrated.

Also impressed with Letang's 180 from the start of CBJ series. I was nervous when he fanned on a stretch pass while spinning in his own zone, but instead of trying to fire it again like usual, he recouped himself and passed to the other d-man. Great stuff.

I agree. Bortz is such a dick. I love him because he knows exactly where the line is and seldom crosses it. He draws a ton of penalties.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
They are delusional. The Rangers ran interference all night and rarely were called on it. I saw Pouliot do it at least 3 times. The one time he skated directly into Letang and held onto him.

Rangers fans to complaining about the refs is the same as yankees fans to bandwagoners. Man, I really can't stand most NY sports fans.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

We are seeing different games then. He has been fine along the boards. Every time he has had the puck in space, he's made something happen. I think he just needs to fed consistent ice time and he will get better as we go on. I love him and Stemps together.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He just seems like the perfect compliment to any of our centers. He seems to play well whether he's with Sid or Sutter. I just wish Bob Cole would stop calling him Adams.

I had a Bob Cole feed for Game 1, the game is too fast for him to call these days.

Yeah, but he only played 5:26 ES. About 2 minutes less than Gibby and Vitale. So, he was used as a filler ES, exactly as he should be used. In other words, he was used as he should be used tonight, and he looked as good as one could hope. Only to Dan Bylsma is the concept of putting players in the best possible position to succeed the equivalent of rocket science.

Ageed, swapping Glass for Gibbons means guys can actually get the ice time that they should. Gibbons and Vitale can move up and down the lineup for the odd shift to provide speed when needed and Adams just gets filler ES along with his PK time. Both Glass and Adams in the lineup means that there are two guys that need 5 mins of ES time maximum.

Penguinzilla*

I can't believe Bylsma put Gibbons in over Glass. I thought he'd wait until it was too late, like when Pens were down 3-0 in the series. Usually it takes him a while to figure stuff out. Maybe there's hope for Byslma after all

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still do not believe Glass is being benched. Typically healthy scratches go out for warmups. It was said he did not go out for warmups. Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I do not believe he was health scratched until he takes warm ups and then undresses in order for Gibby to play. ;)

Please note - part of that is just humor.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I can't believe Bylsma put Gibbons in over Glass. I thought he'd wait until it was too late, like when Pens were down 3-0 in the series. Usually it takes him a while to figure stuff out. Maybe there's hope for Byslma after all

You do realize that all of your posts trashing Gibbons from last month are still on here for everyone to see, right?

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Great game!

I missed the 1st because of work, but still great game!

Best game I've seen the Pens play in years. I didn't even notice Glass wasn't playing:laugh: Keep Glass out of the lineup DB!!

Continue crushing the rags, boys!

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I still do not believe Glass is being benched. Typically healthy scratches go out for warmups. It was said he did not go out for warmups. Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I do not believe he was health scratched until he takes warm ups and then undresses in order for Gibby to play. ;)

Please note - part of that is just humor.

I didn't believe it until Bylsma confirmed it at his press conference last night. :laugh:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Absolutely don´t agree. He´s really strong along the boards and creative once he wins those battles. Maybe not ready for TOP6 duties but a solid solid 3rd liner.

We are seeing different games then. He has been fine along the boards. Every time he has had the puck in space, he's made something happen. I think he just needs to fed consistent ice time and he will get better as we go on. I love him and Stemps together.

Maybe. It just seems like every time there's a 50/50 for a puck he looks like he gets rag-dolled and loses the puck. To me, it seems like he's playing much smaller than he usually does and he looks weak.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Maybe. It just seems like every time there's a 50/50 for a puck he looks like he gets rag-dolled and loses the puck. To me, it seems like he's playing much smaller than he usually does and he looks weak.

McGuire complimented how well he was playing last game, and I've seen a number of fans from other teams make comments about how good he looks. So it certainly isn't us just seeing something that we want to see.

He's been one of the teams best players on the boards and is constantly finding the puck in traffic in front of and behind the net where things get the most physical.

I have yet to see anyone rag doll him, unless you mean a few open ice hits where he got laid out. I have seen half a dozen really dirty cross checks on him, where he has been sent into the boards, but he managed to leverage himself off the boards and still protect the puck in all but one or two of those cases.

I can't think of a guy who is playing better on the boards right now than BB. Maybe Stemps...

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC

It's because no one reads his crap articles unless he's calling someone out or stirring ****.

Yea, Cole is now 80. Time to retire.

Bob's inability to telling the difference between Adams (27) and Stempniak (22) was borderline comical last game. I kept getting angry when he'd say Adams was on the ice so much, only to realize it wasn't actually him.

I think Bob probably thinks he's watching baseball or something half the time. Classic announcer, but he's more than lost a step at this point.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA

You could rewrite this sentence with antonyms for every bolded word and it would explain how I saw the game. I'm watching something totally different than you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad