Glass/Necas/Pettersson

Peeps

May 24, 2017
So I saw a similar thread about Norris/Chytil/Thomas and I thought we could do the same for the top centers in the draft.

The more I look at mock drafts and final rankings, it seems to me that these three centers will be drafted close to each other's.

Cody Glass : http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201704
Martin Necas : http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=237071
Elias Pettersson : http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266336

My top 10 (*not in order, except for Hischier and Patrick):

1) Hischier
2) Patrick
3) Makar
4) Heiskanen
5) Vilardi
6) Mittelstadt
7) Glass
8) Necas
9) Pettersson
10) Tippett

That's where I see them, neck and neck just before the 10th selection.

So I am asking what is your opinion about the three players? Who would you draft first between the three? Then your 2nd pick and third. And why? What make you think the 1st is a better choice than the 2nd and so on.

I am asking that question, because I feel Glass have a little lead between the three, but I'm skeptical because Necas and Pettersson has played Pro all year and Glass was playing Junior.

Both Necas and Pettersson played at the U20, while Glass didn't.

Glass and Necas have the best physique right now, being 179lbs and 178lbs, instead of 165 for Pettersson. Every player is above 6'1''.

What's your opinion? Thanks.

Last edited:

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Glass is the most projectable, and looks to be a center at the next level. The other two will almost certainly start on the wing, and I think Pettersson could stay there.

Necas has a little more bite to his game (Which is why I think he will be able to transition to C) than Pettersson, but Pettersson looks insanely dynamic and speedy.

If I had to rank, I’d go:

Glass
Pettersson
Necas

But Pettersson/Necas are same tier imo

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I like Glass significantly better than the other two. Necas has never really wowed me when watching him. Pettersson has a lot of potential, but he's going to need some time to get there. For future projections I see Glass as a #1C, Necas as #2C and Pettersson as #2LW or fringe top line player. I do believe Pettersson will be the more productive player between him and Necas.

Curved Space

Apr 9, 2006
So I saw a similar thread about Norris/Chytil/Thomas and I thought we could do the same for the top centers in the draft.

The more I look at mock drafts and final rankings, it seems to me that these three centers will be drafted close to each other's.

Cody Glass : http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201704
Martin Necas : http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=237071
Elias Pettersson : http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266336

My top 10 (*not in order, except for Hischier and Patrick):

1) Hischier
2) Patrick
3) Makar
4) Heiskanen
5) Vilardi
6) Mittelstadt
7) Glass
8) Necas
9) Pettersson
10) Tippett

That's where I see them, neck and neck just before the 10th selection.

So I am asking what is your opinion about the three players? Who would you draft first between the three? Then your 2nd pick and third. And why? What make you think the 1st is a better choice than the 2nd and so on.

I am asking that question, because I feel Glass have a little lead between the three, but I'm skeptical because Necas and Pettersson has played Pro all year and Glass was playing Junior.

Both Necas and Pettersson played at the U20, while Glass didn't.

Glass have the best physique right now, being 179lbs, instead of 165 for Pettersson and 168 for Necas. Every player is above 6'1''.

What's your opinion? Thanks.

Necas's weight at the combine was 178 pounds. He has gained weight.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I am not a scout, but for a supposed top prospect Necas's production is... underwhelming? Why do people like him so much? He was so vanilla at the U18s.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I am not a scout, but for a supposed top prospect Necas's production is... underwhelming? Why do people like him so much? He was so vanilla at the U18s.

Have you seen him play other than at the U18s?

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I mean, is it underwhelming? He's playing in a men's league.

Jagr
U18 season 33 GP 6 G 6 A 12 PTS, .36 PPG

Necas
U18 season 41 GP 8 G 6 A 14 PTS, .37 PPG

Actually Jagr was over PPG in a better league in his U18/draft year, so this comparison is way off. The one you listed is Jagr's U17 season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Actually Jagr was over PPG in a better league in his U18/draft year, so this comparison is way off. The one you listed is Jagr's U17 season.

I see, eliteprospects had both their numbers as their U18 seasons. Thanks for correcting.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Good Numbers for Pettersson

He was older than some these guys but still solid comparables in terms of production
C5YkYldVMAA2xd9.jpg:small

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Have you seen him play other than at the U18s?

I've only seen him at u18 and at the u20. I am not passing judgment on Necas, but rather asking a question. For a guy as hyped as he is, his numbers - including those at international events - are not outstanding. Can we be confident that he is a potential scoring forward at the NHL level?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I like the kid, and have thought of him as a really stellar pick if you can give him a couple of years...but last night I kept thinking he reminded me of someone, and I couldn't think who it was...

But, it just came to me: Kris Beech, chosen 7th overall in '99. That kid seemed to have everything needed to be a really solid player when he filled out. But, for whatever reason, he just sucked.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I've only seen him at u18 and at the u20. I am not passing judgment on Necas, but rather asking a question. For a guy as hyped as he is, his numbers - including those at international events - are not outstanding. Can we be confident that he is a potential scoring forward at the NHL level?

I thought he was pretty good at the U20, given his age and role on the team. As for the U18, yes he was extremely meh but that was a tournament he probably didn't even want to/shouldn't have participate(d) in. It looked like as if his head was somewhere else.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hard to compare production. Petterson got 17 minutes a night in Allsvenskan, whereas Necas only gets about 12 minutes a night. Can't find TOI numbers for the WHL, but I'd guess Glass is somewhere around like 18-20 minutes a night.

You have to project skills. Kind of like how Hronek got 8 minutes a night in Extraliga, then came over to the OHL and was a PPG d man. I think Necas would be similarly successful if he came over to the CHL.

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
Glass
Pettersson
Necas
I can see both Glass and Pettersson going before Middlestadt and maybe Vilardi. Necas after both. If I had to guess
Hischier
Patrick
Makar
Heiskanen
Glass
Vilardi
Pettersson
Middlestadt
Tippett
Necas

I do think someone in the top ten may take a flier on Suzuki just to mess with everyone's list (Arizona)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly I think they're neck and neck. Necas has the least impressive numbers of the three, but played in a men's league and his numbers are still good for that league. He is the best skater of the three easily and I'd say the safest choice. I don't know if his upside is as high as the other two but it's tough to project. He's great at faceoffs and is very defensively responsible so it's safe to say he's a center.

Petterson is the most skilled of the three and has the highest upside of perhaps anyone in the draft. That being said he's obviously fairly light and perhaps is better suited to be a winger in the NHL.

Cody Glass has had a meteoric rise up the charts and seems like a great kid. He's got all of the skills to be a 1C in the NHL but his skating and strength might hold him back from reaching that. I feel confident he'll stay a C though and projects as a 2C easily.

Ranking them is really really tough as I could easily see any of them being the best of the three when it's all said and done, but if I had to:
1.Petterson
2.Glass
3.Necas
With the list being reversed for how risky they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad