Glass Half Full??

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
win, lose or draw this sentiment will be repeated ad nauseam throughout the regular season.

hopefully by mid-December every member will have it tattooed on their forehead so we don't need to hear about this profound, new concept...

Hey, I said that last season, but there was a lockout in Dec, so I didn't get my free tat. Can I get fwd credit on mine? Can I get it on my neck instead though?

I defended DB last season even though most of the board wanted him gone after the Philly debacle. I felt he could be a top notch coach if he just became more flexible and wasn't such a stubborn ass. Then he of course took his stubbornness to a new level agt Boston.

What I can't shake is that Boston wasn't playing well most of last season and both Toronto and Chicago really exposed them. The Rags even played a dump and collapse game and never really challenged Boston, yet they scored 5x as many goals as the Pens.

Despite all I saw in those series and how inept the Pens looked vs the Bruins compared to the Leafs, Rags and Hawks, I was still willing to talk myself into being positive about DB coming back.

Then he had the press conference and opened his mouth...

After watching his "explanations", I lost all confidence in this guy. It told me he really was as confounded as I feared.

I literally would have to have my head in a glue bag to ignore all of the red flags with him and get myself in the same frame of mind as last summer.

Last summer I honestly believed he could change, adapt and grow. Now I feel he just has a job because Lemieux likes him and I would be lying if I said I believe in him anymore.

But unlike the DB bashers, I want him to prove me wrong... Not be proven right. Just like with MAF, I believe anything can happen in sports, especially the unlikely.

So that's my half full glass there and why I have hope.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Well, now we've got JMart to keep DB in line. The longer he's here, the more vocal he'll become. Let's hope it works out that way, at least.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The other half of the Gladams duo has received massive PR influx this week. Craig Adams... shot-blocker, Harvard man... international hostage negotiator.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/4874560-74/tracy-adams-tim

See what happens when HFB starts the buzz about Glass and Adams being done? Now all of a sudden the 4th is "our most effective line" according to various Trib hoors, and they're going to start putting Adams' face on the 5 dollar bill once he disavows his citizenship to Brunei or whateverTF it is. :laugh:

We're hosed. Gladams is here forever.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hey, I said that last season, but there was a lockout in Dec, so I didn't get my free tat. Can I get fwd credit on mine? Can I get it on my neck instead though?

I defended DB last season even though most of the board wanted him gone after the Philly debacle. I felt he could be a top notch coach if he just became more flexible and wasn't such a stubborn ass. Then he of course took his stubbornness to a new level agt Boston.

What I can't shake is that Boston wasn't playing well most of last season and both Toronto and Chicago really exposed them. The Rags even played a dump and collapse game and never really challenged Boston, yet they scored 5x as many goals as the Pens.

Despite all I saw in those series and how inept the Pens looked vs the Bruins compared to the Leafs, Rags and Hawks, I was still willing to talk myself into being positive about DB coming back.

Then he had the press conference and opened his mouth...

After watching his "explanations", I lost all confidence in this guy. It told me he really was as confounded as I feared.

I literally would have to have my head in a glue bag to ignore all of the red flags with him and get myself in the same frame of mind as last summer.

Last summer I honestly believed he could change, adapt and grow. Now I feel he just has a job because Lemieux likes him and I would be lying if I said I believe in him anymore.

But unlike the DB bashers, I want him to prove me wrong... Not be proven right. Just like with MAF, I believe anything can happen in sports, especially the unlikely.

So that's my half full glass there and why I have hope.

Respectfully, Jiggy, I'm a DB basher, and I want him to prove me wrong, because I'd rather see the Pens win the cup than be right.

Too bad we don't have a coach who thinks similarly

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Respectfully, Jiggy, I'm a DB basher, and I want him to prove me wrong, because I'd rather see the Pens win the cup than be right.

Too bad we don't have a coach who thinks similarly

Ya I'd say you are gleeful hardened DB basher while I'm simply a DB doubter now with little faith left.

I have no clue how anyone could watch that press conference and have an ounce of confidence left in the guy.

Dan, why did your team score only two goals while even the offensively inept Rags scored 9 in 4 games?

"Zagnut upside down rain clouds!"

.... Oh.

Anyway staying with the positive theme, anything can happen. I even have hope MAF will be out to prove everyone wrong and not spazz out in the playoffs this year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Glass half full? The Pens aren't paying Jordan Staal $6 million per season to produce like a 3rd or 4th line defensive center. Geez, is that guy struggling, at least offensively, in his short time in Carolina.

That's mostly because he's never actually been as good as everyone kept telling us he is. I was horrified when the Penguins offered that contract. Thank goodness it didn't pan out.

As far as the thread goes... I've long been suspicious of Disco. I know that sounds convenient, now. But oh well. That doesn't mean he completely lacks positive qualities, though. And Shero mostly seems like he knows what he's doing. And those Crosby and Malkin fellows seem pretty good. And Craig Adams went all Commando on some terrorists and freed a bunch of high-profile diplomats... I heard.

So there's some good stuff, yeah?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Only three important, good players are injured right now... kind of four, actually... and Malkin's possible shoulder problem.

Seriously, though, it could be a lot worse. Just look at some other teams, other teams that were good fairly recently. Martin is here now and the cap is most likely going to force positive change.

And yeah, we dodged a bullet with Staal.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Our forward group has largely stayed the same. Duper's raise was paid for by CSK departing.

Until Shero builds around Crosby and Malkin, I'd rather have Staal here.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I see where you are coming from... but I just can't agree.

At least Dupuis and Kunitz can play in the top six and despite all the griping usually look at least serviceable doing it. Staal couldn't or wouldn't... or both. All we'd have is a grossly overpaid third line center who gave up on playing defense because he thinks he's too gifted, or something.

Or worse yet... they'd try that ridiculous "Malkin to wing" abortion, again to accommodate him as a second line center.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I see where you are coming from... but I just can't agree.

At least Dupuis and Kunitz can play in the top six and despite all the griping usually look at least serviceable doing it. Staal couldn't or wouldn't... or both. All we'd have is a grossly overpaid third line center who gave up on playing defense because he thinks he's too gifted, or something.

Or worse yet... they'd try that ridiculous "Malkin to wing" abortion, again to accommodate him as a second line center.

In terms of winning in the playoffs, Id take Staal as a 3C, Beau taking Dupes' spot and promoting a young D to make cap room.

But my point is that Staal leaving should signal to this organization that you win by putting Sid and Geno in the best possible positions.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Our forward group has largely stayed the same. Duper's raise was paid for by CSK departing.

Until Shero builds around Crosby and Malkin, I'd rather have Staal here.

That wasn't an option.

Also, against my predictions of how good he'd look in a larger role, he's been fairly awful outside his first, say, month in Carolina.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wonder if the environment is part of it. He went from being on a cup contending team with two superstars; then he went to a team because of his brother and has been put into a position of needing to perform full time on a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2009.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
In terms of winning in the playoffs, Id take Staal as a 3C, Beau taking Dupes' spot and promoting a young D to make cap room.

But my point is that Staal leaving should signal to this organization that you win by putting Sid and Geno in the best possible positions.

When he moved Staal, Shero needed to depart from the 3C model to a top heavy model. He has, however, tried using Sutter as the 3rd center in a 3C team and hasn't stacked the top lines. Trying to use Sutter like Staal won't work, because Sutter isn't the player Staal is and can't shoulder enough of the load for Sid and Geno.

Like many have said, why draft exclusively Dmen if you're not gonna open up spots for them? Why the **** do you sign Mark ****ing Eaton last year? Why is Nisky still on this team? Is he gonna finally move Nisky once Tang is healthy or is Des gonna spend the whole year in the A?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I wonder if the environment is part of it. He went from being on a cup contending team with two superstars; then he went to a team because of his brother and has been put into a position of needing to perform full time on a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2009.

and at the same time a certain linemate has six points in six games with another team..;)

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
J.Staal really shouldn't play center in any other capacity than as a shutdown guy. His passing and vision are mediocre, he can't create on his own, and he just doesn't seem to have the work ethic to improve on his weak areas. And avoids the front of the net at all costs.

For all intents and purposes, he's pretty much a bigger and slower Sutter right now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
J.Staal really shouldn't play center in any other capacity than as a shutdown guy. His passing and vision are mediocre, he can't create on his own, and he just doesn't seem to have the work ethic to improve on his weak areas. And avoids the front of the net at all costs.

For all intents and purposes, he's pretty much a bigger and slower Sutter right now.

Carolina has a top line and Jeff Skinner in terms of healthy legit top 6 forwards. For whatever reason, he didn't mesh with Skinner. So that leaves him with similar linemates as he had here on a worse team. And with Skinner on a depth scoring line, Staal is basically in a very similar role as he had here from what I understand. I still think he can be a 60-70 pt selke caliber center, but he needs a legit winger he can mesh with.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Well, I suppose there's something to be said for exploiting your greatest advantage instead of neutering it.

That said, in the spirit of this thread's title, I will confess that a neutered Sid and Geno is better than no Sid and Geno at all. :help:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well, I suppose there's something to be said for exploiting your greatest advantage instead of neutering it.

That said, in the spirit of this thread's title, I will confess that a neutered Sid and Geno is better than no Sid and Geno at all. :help:

The funny thing is, with all the *****ing we all did about Sid's line when Staal was here. If we had acquired Kulie in 2012, I would have been on board with their strategy up front. Constant pressure and overwhelming depth.

Sutter is not going to bring what Staal did. And while Beau will help that line score, I don't see it being enough to make up for Sid's line being shutdown. Juice will have to have the season of his career to make Malkin's line unstoppable. And even then, I don't like the makeup of our top 9 as is. Too small on the wing.

Glass half full? One winger that fits that need and a legit backup if Vokoun is out is all this team needs to win this year. The defense is as good as it's ever been. Fleury will have something to prove. Sid looks like he's in 2010 form. And Geno can coast through the regular season and be ready for when the games matter.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The funny thing is, with all the *****ing we all did about Sid's line when Staal was here. If we had acquired Kulie in 2012, I would have been on board with their strategy up front. Constant pressure and overwhelming depth.

Sutter is not going to bring what Staal did. And while Beau will help that line score, I don't see it being enough to make up for Sid's line being shutdown. Juice will have to have the season of his career to make Malkin's line unstoppable. And even then, I don't like the makeup of our top 9 as is. Too small on the wing.

Glass half full? One winger that fits that need and a legit backup if Vokoun is out is all this team needs to win this year. The defense is as good as it's ever been. Fleury will have something to prove. Sid looks like he's in 2010 form. And Geno can coast through the regular season and be ready for when the games matter.

The fifth overall pick would've been nice, that's for sure. :laugh:

As for Kulie, well, we've been down that road. Hopefully, it's addressed during the offseason. ;)

By the way, the only player allowed to coast through the regular season is Orpik. :sarcasm:

Glass half full? Jacques Martin is here.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Jokinen has a respectable history in the playoffs, particularly in Carolina which is the most recent and where he had consistent play. So that's good, Malkin should really help that. It makes him getting benched in the playoffs more baffling, but Bylsmas Bylsma.

I agree about the Sutter, Bennett pairing. No matter how much Bennett boosts Sutter it's not going to make up for Crosby getting shutdown. That's not Sutter and given Sutter's problems in the playoffs it's just not going to happen. Dupuis will produce about the same anywhere, put him there and let him take Sutter along for the ride.

Glass half full, it looks like scoring Crosby is back and I loved scoring Crosby. I'm still disappointed this thread wasn't a Glass joke.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The fifth overall pick would've been nice, that's for sure. :laugh:

As for Kulie, well, we've been down that road. Hopefully, it's addressed during the offseason. ;)

By the way, the only player allowed to coast through the regular season is Orpik. :sarcasm:

Glass half full? Jacques Martin is here.

This is a positive thread right? Well I don't think anyone can come at me talking about Kulemin in here.

How about Juice has a monster postseason. Thanks Geno and collects a monster paycheck elsewhere. Meanwhile, we have a revolving door on Geno's LW to fill. And if Bennett fills it, well, then we have two revolving doors with Sutter. :naughty:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jokinen has a respectable history in the playoffs, particularly in Carolina which is the most recent and where he had consistent play. So that's good, Malkin should really help that. It makes him getting benched in the playoffs more baffling, but Bylsmas Bylsma.

I agree about the Sutter, Bennett pairing. No matter how much Bennett boosts Sutter it's not going to make up for Crosby getting shutdown. That's not Sutter and given Sutter's problems in the playoffs it's just not going to happen. Dupuis will produce about the same anywhere, put him there and let him take Sutter along for the ride.

Glass half full, it looks like scoring Crosby is back and I loved scoring Crosby. I'm still disappointed this thread wasn't a Glass joke.

Yeah, but you won't worry about Sid getting shut down until it's too late.

Glass half full? Sid will win the scoring title, he'll kill the **** Metro teams in the playoffs, and all of us will get plenty of entertainment from the quote 'best line in hockey'.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is a positive thread right? Well I don't think anyone can come at me talking about Kulemin in here.

How about Juice has a monster postseason. Thanks Geno and collects a monster paycheck elsewhere. Meanwhile, we have a revolving door on Geno's LW to fill. And if Bennett fills it, well, then we have two revolving doors with Sutter. :naughty:

Well, that would hardly be unique if it happened to Jokinen. Geno helped Malone, Talbot, and Neal make bank. Maybe that's why they don't want Bennett anywhere near Geno. :laugh:

Glass half full? In at least half the games this season, Glass plays well enough to get two minutes for impersonating a good fourth line player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad