Glaring need for an Elite D prospect

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Need another center and another defenceman and we'll have a solid core.

Was hoping we'd get Maatta, and then draft one of the top forwards in next year's draft. Basically set up our core as: Marner, Nylander, 2016 1st round pick forward, and Rielly, Maatta on D.

Oh well..

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Was hoping we'd get Maatta, and then draft one of the top forwards in next year's draft. Basically set up our core as: Marner, Nylander, 2016 1st round pick forward, and Rielly, Maatta on D.

Oh well..

I think that's a bit pessimistic.

Good players on our club:
Kadri, JVR, Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier

Unproven:
Bailey, Panik, Holland, Polak, Marincin

Then you have Leipsic, Brown, Hyman, Leivo, Percy, Finn, Loov, and all the kids in junior and in Europe.

To say none of those players can be part of the core is a bit silly.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
We need a Elite RHD prospect, which none of Chychrun, Maatta, Pouliot, etc fit as.

If only we got Ekblad :cry:

I'd say we will probably have Nylander-Marner-XXXXX or XXXXX-Nylander-Marner or Nylander-XXXXX-Marner so we either need a top wing prospect or centre prospect (Matthews) next year.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Oh well..

Yeah I was assuming we'd get Pouliot but we were boxed into a corner. We should be gunning for Logan Brown next year, a Sundin sized skilled center.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Its a massive need and part of why I think Hanifin was so appealing.

Love the Marner pick but its tough selecting a BPA that is contrary to need

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Here's a 4 year map of our core I see

15-16:

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Komarov-Holland-Parenteau

Rielly-???

16-17:

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Komarov-Marner-Nylander

Rielly-???

17-18:

JVR-Marner-Nylander
Kapanen-???-???

Rielly-???

18-19:

???-Marner-Nylander
Kapanen/Bracco/???-???-???

Rielly-???

Yup, the biggest hole is definitely franchise D, but Chychrun will take care of that :naughty:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
@Above, Nylander prefers LW if on the wing and Kapanen is a RW.

Not sure why we'd trade away Kadri before 17-18 though.. He'd be a good 2C if none other prospects develop to that level

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Its a process. Dermott, Percy, Granberg, Loov, Valiev, etc all have legitimate NHL upside. Sure, we dont have an Ekblad in there, but lets see what we have 12 months from now.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We need a Elite RHD prospect, which none of Chychrun, Maatta, Pouliot, etc fit as.

If only we got Ekblad :cry:

I'd say we will probably have Nylander-Marner-XXXXX or XXXXX-Nylander-Marner or Nylander-XXXXX-Marner so we either need a top wing prospect or centre prospect (Matthews) next year.

The real miss... was Dougie Hamilton...

Defencemen take longer to develop, imagine how bright our future would look if we had been able to get him alongside Rielly, even if it cost us Marner. Toronto management needs to stop acting like chickens with their heads cut off, and target somebody who compliments a Morgan Rielly long term. Took Edmonton way too long to figure that out.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Defencemen take longer to develop, imagine how bright our future would look if we had been able to get him alongside Rielly, even if it cost us Marner. Toronto management needs to stop acting like chickens with their heads cut off, and target somebody who compliments a Morgan Rielly long term. Took Edmonton way too long to figure that out.

Bruce Arthur made a really good point on TSN's FA coverage today - we've seen in the last week, trades like Hamilton and Saad, which show that the threat of offer sheets & cap management means that core players DO still move in the NHL.

You just need to make sure you have the assets to be able to acquire them.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

What? Marner for Hamilton? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dear lord. Hamilton is a #3 with the upside of being a good #2. Marner has franchise forward potential.

We have at least two years of sucking. We need a top line winger, a franchise D, and maybe another potential #1 C.

One of those pieces will need to be acquired in a trade.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Lol @ even thinking about Provorov at 4.

Not sure whats so funny about that lol.

You probably said:
Lol @ even thinking about Johansen at 4
Lol @ even thinking about Schiefele at 7
Lol @ even thinking about OEL at 6

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With a lot of highly skilled prospects, I think the attention definitely turns to trying to draft, trade for and develop high end defenders.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well we just started a rebuild and we have a Morgan Rielly in our back pocket. There's a good chance we'll get at least 1 more. I'd bet Chychrun is our target for next years draft, and we're going to be bad for at least 1 more year after that. Plenty of time to add to Rielly.

We have more forward prospects, but a team has twice as many forwards as D so that's not entirely unexpected at this point. We still need to add forwards too, it's not like the rebuild is over and we have 1 D and 10 forwards, we're not the Oilers.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
we have Rielly.. we need a nice 6'2+ #2 Dman now. Too bad we couldn't get Jacob Larsson.

If Matthews isn't available next year and Chychrun is, then by all means take him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not sure whats so funny about that lol.

You probably said:
Lol @ even thinking about Johansen at 4
Lol @ even thinking about Schiefele at 7
Lol @ even thinking about OEL at 6

good job using Hindsight bias.

Lol @ Schenn at 5
Lol @ Hickey at 4
Lol @ Glennie at 8

it works both ways

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Devils advocate...

We already have a long term signed top pairing RD..

Maybe that's why he isn't moved, incase we draft 1st OA (and take Matthews) or after 2nd (and take a C/W).

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
'Glaring need'? Really? Two weeks ago the Leafs had what most would consider a below average prospect pool, now that we have some great forward prospects people are panicking that we need an elite defensemen prospect? :laugh:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Yes I agree that why I was shocked they didn't Hanifin this year.

That's why I was really upset when Pouliot wasn't part of the Kessel deal. Thought he could be a top pairing guy. Pens must think so too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kessel is gone, and rumour has it Bozak is gone too, I think we should be in the running for a Chyrchun, or Brown...or Matthews...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad