Glaring need for an Elite D prospect

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
We now have plenty of forwards with top six potential, but with the exception of Rielly we don't have any high end D prospects. Who should be a target or who could surprise and become that guy? IMO Chychrun/thread and my underdog is Jesper Lindgren.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'm in love with the idea of drafting Chychrun. He's literally a man amongst boys at the moment. And from what I've read from scouts, he's ahead of the developmental curve than Ekblad was at the same time he was there.

MapleLife*

Yes I agree that why I was shocked they didn't Hanifin this year.

Yea, think we shouldve taken Hanifin

I'm guessing Chychrun will be our target this year

If we could somehow land Logan Brown as well I would be ecstatic

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Chychrun in my eyes is a better prospect than Hanifin. I haven't been this excited for a prospect since Hedman or Doughty.

Last edited:

Rufio65*

Chychrun should maybe stay healthy before people declare him a top 5 pick. He's shown 2 things thus far in his career: He's a stud. and he's injury prone.

Is he going to stay healthy or not? That's the question. Leafs blew it by not selecting Provorov.

snizzbone*

Chychrun should maybe stay healthy before people declare him a top 5 pick. He's shown 2 things thus far in his career: He's a stud. and he's injury prone.

Is he going to stay healthy or not? That's the question. Leafs blew it by not selecting Provorov.

omg he missed 30 games in a season !!! bust!!

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Chychrun is a franchise D type of prospect, and it looks like they'll need the 2nd overall pick to select him next year. If not him, Matthews, Brown, Tkachuk, Puljujarvi, etc are also potential targets

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

Lol @ even thinking about Provorov at 4.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Yes I agree that why I was shocked they didn't Hanifin this year.

Why? If we didn't draft Marner we would have had a question mark beside 1C. We don't anymore now that we drafted him so now we got to find ourselves an elite D prospect.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
We should have a couple of firsts next year...should be able to pick up a defender then.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
We now have plenty of forwards with top six potential, but with the exception of Rielly we don't have any high end D prospects. Who should be a target or who could surprise and become that guy? IMO Chychrun/thread and my underdog is Jesper Lindgren.

...So waht is Morgan Rielly?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Why? If we didn't draft Marner we would have had a question mark beside 1C. We don't anymore now that we drafted him so now we got to find ourselves an elite D prospect.

We still have a question mark at #1C ... Marner could easily end up a winger, and with the average size of NHL players continiously increasing, he may simply not be big enough to be a #1 centre.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
We still have a question mark at #1C ... Marner could easily end up a winger, and with the average size of NHL players continiously increasing, he may simply not be big enough to be a #1 centre.

Marner could turn out to be a winger or a center. Doesn't dispute the fact that the leafs will try to develop at center no matter if he's not big enough. He definitely has the skills/talent for it.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
He mentioned Morgan Rielly.

YEah I noticed when I re-read. Still, you could make the case against needing two top of the draft defensemen. LA won a cup with Doughty - Mitchell as their top pairing. We might still get someone out of the dr, history has shown a precendent of great defensemen coming out of the 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad