Give this draft a grade!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Is this in English somewhere?

Let just say that this is Gaston Therrien, so it's not really important what he says except that if he likes a Habs draft....it's probably because it's the best ever or...he just likes to see 4 Q kids drafted....I'll let you guess what it is...:D

He's only saying that the Habs had no choice but to get bigger and the McCArron picked more sense. Obviously the only other picks Therrien talks about are Fucale, Andrighetto and Grégoire. Saying Fucale was a nice surprise at 36. That after 1 or 2 seasons with the Dogs he'll be able to jump in the NHL. That Sven is ready to play in Hamilton and that if everything goes well, we might even see him in the NHL as soon as this year. And that Grégoire played at 14 years old in the Midget AA making him an "exception". That he,s a leader and good job to the Q scouts for having confidence to the Q kids.

Therrien also mentions that the Habs wanted to choose earlier to get their hands on Morin or Gauthier (pure fabrication for Gauthier as far as I'M concerned). That's about it.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Personally, I don't think this draft can be graded for a minimum of 5 years just so the players can have an honest chance at making the team and seeing how they progress. However I will say that a lot of posters talk about McCarron and Lucic being similar. If I have to make a prediction...Connor Crisp will turn into a Lucic style player. 2 years ago he was injured and his offense was down to 6 goals, but then last year he had 20 + goals. If he lights it up this year in the OHL, this draft could be an A+++++. I think Crisp is a better skater than Lucic with better hands and more size, and he IS NOT afraid to drop the gloves. He may very well be the steal of the draft.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Okay people stop the presses...If you finally want an idea of how great the draft really is, you just have to read this. Then you'll have an opinion...but prepare to be.....SHOCKED....:amazed:

And for our anglophone friends....this is your favorite RDS commentator saying "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" to the Habs draft.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/mission-accomplie-1.637502

Not sure if I want to read this... :naughty:

EDIT: Never mind, WS made a resume.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I was away at the cottage all weekend, missed the draft (boo) and am just absorbing all the info right now... wow. Looks like lots went down, and we ended up with Fucale somehow! This is going to take hours for me to digest, lol.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
McCarron: C+
Never seen him play, so I'm going on what other people say. Size is at a premium in Montreal, so if he should work out then that would be good. Still, I have to admit that for a guy who isn't considered anything close to a great talent, I find the concerns brought up by both THN and TSN (3/5) with regards to competitiveness rather alarming. We shall see.

De La Rose: B
Saw this guy at the World Juniors. Again, not a great talent, but his speed and size, combined with good hockey IQ, will make him a surefire player. Could be the shutdown forward needed to move on from Plekanec later.

Fucale: A-
Saw him at the Ivan Hlinka, QMJHL season, QMJHL playoffs and Memorial Cup. Not sure if I see a game stealer in the mold of a Henrik Lundqvist at this stage, but I do see a goalie that will get you those crucial saves, which is what counts on a well designed team. Not a need, but he was a terrific value pick and thus gives Montreal avenues to explore down the line.

Lekhonen: A-
Has shown offensive ability at men's level, isn't that small. Seems like decent bet to make the top six, at least as far as late second rounders are concerned.

Overall, including the later picks, I'll give the Habs something around a B/B-. Will likely change in a year or two, but as a guy who LOVES going for homeruns and top talents available, I was not ecstatic with the first few picks. Fucale was an incredibly interesting pick, as he could either end up being our starter and letting go of Price, or we could use him as a bargaining chip down the line.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Okay, have digested most of what went down. I see the hunt for Morin and ultimate selection of McCarron as kind of "knee jerk" deviations from "value" (or strict BPA, certainly), but compared across the league, it's hard to give the Habs less than A-.

I might not have selected McCarron at 25th (mostly because of the potential NCAA commitment), but I WOULD have selected de la Rose at that spot. In that same vein, McCarron at de la Rose's spot would have been just fine. Look for a "better" combination of size/skill among forwards still available at that point. Getting both of them, regardless of the order, made for good picks, imo - even if I would have selected differently (a lot of skill with decent enough size available there - particularly among defensemen).

Don't think anyone needs to be told how I feel about somehow lucking into a chance to add Fucale to the organization, lol. Nothing about Price - it's just awesome to get the goalie with the most potential in the draft (imo). There may have been goalies who would handle an NHL season better if it started tomorrow, but I'm glad we've got Fucale's rights in the meantime.

Lehkonen and Andrighetto represent some of the skill that some might have seen as "sacrifices" to get the size earlier on. Lehkonen is pretty much Teravainen (18th overall last year by the Blackhawks, so there's part of a connection which has already been discussed in many places) only with more grit, work ethic, and reliable play in all zones. Two thumbs up at 55th overall. Andrighetto has been intriguing me all year. Good swing for the fence at 86th. Smooth and skilled, but can he be tough enough?

Crisp... well... we'll see. He was able to run shotgun on a junior team's top line, but I hope they're not banking on that experience to actually translate to a similar role in the NHL. Surprised he got drafted instead of teammate Harper (who might not have looked out of place if picked at Crisp's spot, imo), but I expect him to end up chucked into some deal before too long anyway.

So far the draft is a pretty solid A, imo... possibly A+. I think plenty of "better" players were available at Reway and Gregoire's spots, but as the last picks of the draft, that can only drag the overall grade to A- at the lowest. One or both of them might surprise me down the road, but I've seen both, and I'll be surprised if what they offer translates to the very top level by the time the organization will have to decide whether to keep them around or not. If one, or either, of these guys pans out, this draft probably stands to go down as anything from A to A+ (balanced for "value" league-wide).

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Okay people stop the presses...If you finally want an idea of how great the draft really is, you just have to read this. Then you'll have an opinion...but prepare to be.....SHOCKED....:amazed:

And for our anglophone friends....this is your favorite RDS commentator saying "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" to the Habs draft.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/mission-accomplie-1.637502

Bah, other than stating that Ghetto could get a stint with the Habs as early as next season, it's not so bad..

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
For the fun of it, who I would have drafted at our spots.....

1st round: Valentin Zykov
2nd round: J.T.Compher
2nd round: Laurent Dauphin
2nd round: William Carrier
3rd round: John Hayden
3rd round: Oliver Bjorkstrand
4th round: Fredrik Bergvik
6th round: Jeremy Gregoire

Strange....but I also wouldn't pick any d-men....Having said that, I can't wait to see to the camp and assess the guys we picked to have a better feel. I gave a B to our draft so pretty certain that we will be satisfied with it.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
BTW the Andrighetto kucherov Dea line was the most productive in the lhjmq last year with the Mckinnon line.

Andrighetto has got a lot of skills plus he is swiss. Swiss players generally have a great work ethic.

My favorite pick is Delarose that guy seems to back check like a demon and has insane speed for his size. Could be a hidden gem.

Crisp if he can become a Prust type player everyone will be happy seems like a kid that have something to prove.

MCcarron will at least get a try in the big leagues he has all the tools to succeed.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The pick that scares me is McCarron. Really high risk high reward for such a deep draft. It will either be a Pacioretty pick(which looks great now) or a Fischer pick(which looks horrible now).

I'm kind of hoping he can play OHL so we can see if he can play the rough and tumble game that we need out of him. I think his skills can be improved enough to be similar to Bickell or maybe better, plus he will be huge(6'6" 240lbs) but he has to want to play tough and drop the gloves.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The pick that scares me is McCarron. Really high risk high reward for such a deep draft. It will either be a Pacioretty pick(which looks great now) or a Fischer pick(which looks horrible now).

I'm kind of hoping he can play OHL so we can see if he can play the rough and tumble game that we need out of him. I think his skills can be improved enough to be similar to Bickell or maybe better, plus he will be huge(6'6" 240lbs) but he has to want to play tough and drop the gloves.

McCarron could indeed be our Hugh Jessiman....or our Dustin Byfuglien. It could totally go different ways. We CAN'T screw this development up.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Doesn't feel like we extracted as much value as we should have given the raw number of high picks we had but we did add a lot to the system so it''s hard to be too harsh.

B-

showme25

Jul 3, 2013
Hey guys, im new to hf figured this was a good (but crazy) time to join lol. Thought we had a pretty solid draft. just curious when do you think hf will grade the recently drafted prospects?

also why can't i vote is it just because im new? lol
thanks

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Ryan Kennedy ‏@THNRyanKennedy 1m My highest team draft grades for 2013 went to Buffalo, Columbus, Montreal and Winnipeg. Find out the rest in the next edition of the mag.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For the fun of it, who I would have drafted at our spots.....

1st round: Valentin Zykov
2nd round: J.T.Compher
2nd round: Laurent Dauphin
2nd round: William Carrier
3rd round: John Hayden
3rd round: Oliver Bjorkstrand
4th round: Fredrik Bergvik
6th round: Jeremy Gregoire

Strange....but I also wouldn't pick any d-men....Having said that, I can't wait to see to the camp and assess the guys we picked to have a better feel. I gave a B to our draft so pretty certain that we will be satisfied with it.

This draft would've een beautiful. Lots and lots of value.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
This draft would've een beautiful. Lots and lots of value.

I did mention though that taking Fucale would have fine as well at 36. And after seeing McCarron up close and personal at practice yesterday.....we made a good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad