Recalled/Assigned: Givani Smith Recalled from taxi squad

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
But he absolutely chooses who goes into the lineup and who goes back and forth to the taxi squad.

Thinking that Nielsen, Erne, Filppula, Staal, etc are better than the kids "who just need a chance" is not on Yzerman, or even Holland.

I disagree a bit here. If Yzerman wanted the kids played he wouldn't have provided so many vet options. Yzerman sets the priority and organizational direction with who he signs and brings to camp. Given the option, and nudge from Yzerman, Blashill is more likely to go with the guys who will commit the fewest mistakes - the vets - over playing the kids and having their inexperience show.

Which is probably right. I don't know if the team would be better having most of those kids in the lineup (outside of Seider and Zadina who unquestionably would improve the club if they are on the ice) but I would find it more interesting to watch. Also, kids can't develop if they aren't playing. So, if we have guys like Cholowski, Rasmussen, Svech, etc. sitting around...this club isn't going on a Cup run any time soon and the guys they'd be replacing aren't exactly all stars. Might as well play them and try to develop them.

At least, that's my view on it. When GR starts up and some of these guys can easily go there and play 20 minutes a night, go for it.

Reactions: RedMenace

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I disagree a bit here. If Yzerman wanted the kids played he wouldn't have provided so many vet options. Yzerman sets the priority and organizational direction with who he signs and brings to camp. Given the option, and nudge from Yzerman, Blashill is more likely to go with the guys who will commit the fewest mistakes - the vets - over playing the kids and having their inexperience show.

Which is probably right. I don't know if the team would be better having most of those kids in the lineup (outside of Seider and Zadina who unquestionably would improve the club if they are on the ice) but I would find it more interesting to watch. Also, kids can't develop if they aren't playing. So, if we have guys like Cholowski, Rasmussen, Svech, etc. sitting around...this club isn't going on a Cup run any time soon and the guys they'd be replacing aren't exactly all stars. Might as well play them and try to develop them.

At least, that's my view on it. When GR starts up and some of these guys can easily go there and play 20 minutes a night, go for it.

Yes, but playing vets over kids, we at least aren't losing 4-1 and 6-2 to a team like Chicago, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... OH!

Reactions: Winger98

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I have this weird feeling that Yzerman doesn't really like a lot of what Holland left him in the farm and its why he decided to sign vets.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

That's a fair argument.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I have this weird feeling that Yzerman doesn't really like a lot of what Holland left him in the farm and its why he decided to sign vets.

That's what Yzerman did as his first moves at Tampa 10 years ago.

Signed vets, put younger guys to farm for 2,5 seasons.

It seems to me that he is just repeating the same process.

And not "Hedman" and "Stamkos" already in the bank, he is after those kind of guys at same time.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think you're right.
I think Yzerman has made decisions on Svech and Cholowski already. Pisses me off, because Svech really hasn't got a look yet, IMO.
But I think it's been pretty clear since the start of last year that Svech wasn't in this team's plans.

I think the team does have some hope for Rasmussen and Givani Smith.

Not so sure about Lindstrom.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think you're right.
I think Yzerman has made decisions on Svech and Cholowski already. Pisses me off, because Svech really hasn't got a look yet, IMO.
But I think it's been pretty clear since the start of last year that Svech wasn't in this team's plans.

I think the team does have some hope for Rasmussen and Givani Smith.

Not so sure about Lindstrom.
He's giving Svech every chance to prove him wrong, at least. Poor guy just hasn't been healthy enough to get a long enough look at the NHL level. He could have just not tendered an offer to him, over the offseason, and made him a Free Agent. Jury is still out if he is a Charles Hudon type or not, though. But if he can't get healthy, it'll be difficult to seem him as anything other than a good AHL/KHL player.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's what Yzerman did as his first moves at Tampa 10 years ago.

Signed vets, put younger guys to farm for 2,5 seasons.

It seems to me that he is just repeating the same process.

And not "Hedman" and "Stamkos" already in the bank, he is after those kind of guys at same time.

Kucherov - 17 AHL games
Palat - 117 AHL games
Namestnikov - 134 AHL games
Vasilivesky - 37 AHL games
Pacquette - 75 AHL games.
Erne - 150 AHL games. First legit 2.5 season guy
Drouin - 19 AHL games
Point - 9 AHL games
Cirelli - 51 AHL games.

A couple of the UFA kids played longer. Gourde. Tyler Johnson, 135 games.

This idea that Yzerman spent a long time developing guys on the farm is offbase.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's giving Svech every chance to prove him wrong, at least. Poor guy just hasn't been healthy enough to get a long enough look at the NHL level. He could have just not tendered an offer to him, over the offseason, and made him a Free Agent. Jury is still out if he is a Charles Hudon type or not, though. But if he can't get healthy, it'll be difficult to seem him as anything other than a good AHL/KHL player.

Svech should have played more than 33 minutes in the NHL last year.
Givani Smith played 203. Hirose played 326. Ehn played 562. Perlini played 520.
If you'd given Svechnikov the 21 games that Smith got, I could say, "Yeah, Svech got an OK look."

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kucherov - 17 AHL games
Palat - 117 AHL games
Namestnikov - 134 AHL games
Vasilivesky - 37 AHL games
Pacquette - 75 AHL games.
Erne - 150 AHL games. First legit 2.5 season guy
Drouin - 19 AHL games
Point - 9 AHL games
Cirelli - 51 AHL games.

A couple of the UFA kids played longer. Gourde. Tyler Johnson, 135 games.

This idea that Yzerman spent a long time developing guys on the farm is offbase.

I think he put a pretty good emphasis on development and giving those young guys time.

Kucherov is a hart trophy calibre talent and he still played a year in Russia, a year in the Q and 17 games in the AHL post draft before going to the NHL. Namestnikov played a year of junior followed by 2 and a half years in the AHL post draft, and Palat was passed over in the draft twice if I remember correctly and still played 2 years in the AHL.

I think people are reaching to say signing vets shows what Yzerman thinks of the young guys. Hes always taken his time with young guys for the most part and he also had a downright horrible team last year that he was obviously making an effort to keep the kids away from. He was also likely taking a year to evaluate where all the young guys are at.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think he put a pretty good emphasis on development and giving those young guys time.

Kucherov is a hart trophy calibre talent and he still played a year in Russia, a year in the Q and 17 games in the AHL post draft before going to the NHL. Namestnikov played a year of junior followed by 2 and a half years in the AHL post draft, and Palat was passed over in the draft twice if I remember correctly and still played 2 years in the AHL.

I think people are reaching to say signing vets shows what Yzerman thinks of the young guys. Hes always taken his time with young guys for the most part and he also had a downright horrible team last year that he was obviously making an effort to keep the kids away from. He was also likely taking a year to evaluate where all the young guys are at.

Yup. Gotta remember he learned under Holland while the wings were a highly competitive team.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Svech should have played more than 33 minutes in the NHL last year.
Givani Smith played 203. Hirose played 326. Ehn played 562. Perlini played 520.
If you'd given Svechnikov the 21 games that Smith got, I could say, "Yeah, Svech got an OK look."
I meant more in the fact that he got another contract, this year, not in how much he did/didn't play last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad