LeBrun: Giroux and Panthers mutually interested in extension, Zito looking to clear space for return

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I liked him, worth the 1st (don't mention Chariot). Not sure how Florida can (or should) give him a multi-year deal, but clearing space for him next year would be easy, general consensus on our board is trade Duclair (Florida will be fine in the regular season without him and he's been useless in the playoffs) and maybe buyout Hornqvist

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Awesome. I was hoping he was smart enough to stay away from the rotting corpse that is Fletcher's Flyers...and let's face it, Ottawa isn't contending the next couple of years at least.

I hope he re-signs there because I think Florida will have learned a lot from their disappointing run this season and will be much more playoff-prepared next season. They need to bolster the D core though.

I liked him, worth the 1st (don't mention Chariot). Not sure how Florida can (or should) give him a multi-year deal, but clearing space for him next year would be easy, general consensus on our board is trade Duclair (Florida will be fine in the regular season without him and he's been useless in the playoffs) and maybe buyout Hornqvist

I bet he'd settle for a 2 year deal but i'm sure he's looking for at least 3.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Duclair is an option, Hornqvist and Gudas are likely gone. Possibly Montour as well. Bill Zito has options to clear if he wants to bring back Claude Giroux.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I never considered this a remote option.
Even if Giroux settles for half of what he's worth, we need to clear more than just Hornqvist and Duclair.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
The Oilers would have lots of time for Duclair, he fits the team's style of play and timeline perfectly. I don't know what he'd cost though, if it's significant assets we're better off using them for a goalie.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Anything less than 3 x $5m would be a discount.
Based on his play with us, he deserves $7.5m x 3y, so $5m would be the outrageous discount I thought would never happen. If he goes lower, than he must REALLY want to win a cup. He's only 34. He'd be leaving millions and millions of dollars on the table.

The Oilers would have lots of time for Duclair, he fits the team's style of play and timeline perfectly. I don't know what he'd cost though, if it's significant assets we're better off using them for a goalie.
We'll trade Duclair for the highest 1st/2nd Round pick offered in either this draft or next.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
34 is pretty old in hockey, and him and his family clearly wanted to go live in Florida.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
He should sign a friendly 1 year deal with the Oilers if he's serious about winning a cup. (I'd ask Kane to do the same)

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Who's the good goalie Edmonton are signing? They need that first if they are serious about a Cup.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Made lots of money and wants to win a cup living in Florida for the next few years, should sign for 5 or less.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
We'll trade Duclair for the highest 1st/2nd Round pick offered in either this draft or next.

We have the 29th pick so I guess it would have to be that one as Holland already traded our 2nd. I wouldn't hate it, Duclair would almost certainly repeat his 30 goal season here and having him for two years helps the cap situation.

Reactions: kerrabria

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
We have the 29th pick so I guess it would have to be that one as Holland already traded our 2nd. I wouldn't hate it, Duclair would almost certainly repeat his 30 goal season here and having him for two years helps the cap situation.
I think Duclair very easily hits 30 goals with McDavid/Draisaitl. I don't think it's a stretch to say, if he's healthy, he ends up closer to 40 than 25. Problem is that he's streaky as hell and doesn't bring anything other than speed and offense off the rush. Not really a guy you can count on in the playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Duclair
Weegar
Hornqvist

Are guys I’d move.

The 1st 2 would be easy and they’d gain assets back

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Duclair
Weegar
Hornqvist

Are guys I’d move.

The 1st 2 would be easy and they’d gain assets back

Oh well if Weegs is available I'd much rather trade Edmonton's 1st for him instead, that's a no-brainer given how shitty our defense is. I know he had some rough moments in the TB series but he would have to only focus on his end of the ice here.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Oh well if Weegs is available I'd much rather trade Edmonton's 1st for him instead, that's a no-brainer given how shitty our defense is. I know he had some rough moments in the TB series but he would have to only focus on his end of the ice here.
Weegar is only on the block if a top 3 d-man is coming back either in the same trade or a parallel one.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would the Panthers have interest in a Hornqvist for Radim Simek sort of trade? The Sharks are flexible in terms of what you'd want Simek's cap hit to be but you have to deal with an extra year of a fringe d-man.

Reactions: Canadia

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
What's Broberg projecting for these days? Florida as a spot open at LD, but I wonder if somethng could work with Duke and maybe Deni going back there?

I'd be open to picks as well

Would the Panthers have interest in a Hornqvist for Radim Simek sort of trade? The Sharks are flexible in terms of what you'd want Simek's cap hit to be but you have to deal with an extra year of a fringe d-man.
Horny needs to okay the trade and I don't see that working with San Jose tbh...I think he wants to be closer to contention.

Something like that could work. Cheaper than buying him out. Then next season we talk the Bob for Karlsson double whammy

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Based on his play with us, he deserves $7.5m x 3y, so $5m would be the outrageous discount I thought would never happen. If he goes lower, than he must REALLY want to win a cup. He's only 34. He'd be leaving millions and millions of dollars on the table.

If he really wanted to win a cup, why is he signing with Florida???

Sounds like he likes the Florida weather a lot, maybe there's some truth to the strip club story as well :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Horny needs to okay the trade and I don't see that working with San Jose tbh...I think he wants to be closer to contention.

Something like that could work. Cheaper than buying him out. Then next season we talk the Bob for Karlsson double whammy
Yeah, the eight team no-trade list could certainly be an issue. It's low enough where it's a reasonable possibility that the Sharks aren't on that. I think the contention thing may not be that much of a concern though. He's on the final year of his deal. He can literally play for any team and if he plays well enough, he can be rented to a contender at a much more palatable cap hit if he goes to a selling team like the Sharks. It also lets him sort of weed out teams that may look like contenders early in the offseason but aren't after the season starts playing itself out a bit.

As for Bob for Karlsson, I could see Karlsson going for that. I can't see Bob going for it. There's just no reason for Bob to accept a trade to San Jose. Other non-state income tax teams like Seattle or Vegas or Nashville, for sure. San Jose? They literally have nothing going for it compared to Florida. Even a buyout where Bob loses 7 mil might be better than coming to San Jose but I don't know the specific numbers as it relates to the taxes he'd have to pay here for his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad