Confirmed with Link: Giordano New Flames Captain

Trae

Calgary
I would have preferred no captain as well. The Hanowski incident, the uninspired play last year, the possibility of a trade - there's no one really on this team that seems like a natural leader.

But I guess Giordano's holding the fort until one of Monahan, Ramage, Sieloff or someone else takes the reigns.
The Hanowski thing bothered me a lot, too. If nobody stepped up then, who's to say they will in the future? There's no excuse for that, hopefully they've learned from that mistake though.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I would have preferred no captain as well. The Hanowski incident, the uninspired play last year, the possibility of a trade - there's no one really on this team that seems like a natural leader.

But I guess Giordano's holding the fort until one of Monahan, Ramage, Sieloff or someone else takes the reigns.

What Hanowski incident?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What, as a prank or they didn't like him?
not sure it was either, sounds like it was a case of forgetting the new guy. Which is why Conroy and Feaster were upset, because it's the leaders and veterans jobs to make the new guy feel welcome and help them feel apart of the team.

Trae

Calgary
They went to get food and left hanowski not that big of a deal

Hockey is a team game, chemistry and cohesion is a critical aspect of that, its a bigger deal than you think.

Edit: its even more important when you are a team like Calgary who will have a plethora of youth coming up though the upcoming season that need to feel welcome.

Last edited:

Trae

Calgary
I think it was more of everyone was leaving and didn't invite Hanowski and so he stayed behind by himself. Conroy was livid (apparently) and chewed out Glencross, Cammy, Gio.

Tanguay at the time as well, obviously after Iginla got traded.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Hockey is a team game, chemistry and cohesion is a critical aspect of that, its a bigger deal than you think.

Edit: its even more important when you are a team like Calgary who will have a plethora of youth coming up though the upcoming season that need to feel welcome.
They forgot to ask him to get lunch. not a big deal

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
From the sounds of things of this preseason, cohesion won't be an issue. Our boys have been playing physical and sticking up for each other. I think the message was heard loud and clear.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
They forgot to ask him to get lunch. not a big deal

No forgetting him isn't a big deal in itself but the reason Conroy and Feaster were mad is that these guys (Cammy, Gio, Glencross, Tangs at the time) are expected to be the leaders of this to make the locker room an upbeat and competitive environment, sure it is just 1 lunch but they need to step up their game to make sure no rookie ever feels left out and to make sure the locker room is as united as possible as poor locker room relations have plagued the Flames for years.

Trae

Calgary
From the sounds of things of this preseason, cohesion won't be an issue. Our boys have been playing physical and sticking up for each other. I think the message was heard loud and clear.

I agree, I've been pretty impressed thus far. Hartley said it best when he was saying how this team has no star players and the only way to succeed is by working together as a team. I still don't think we will be that successful, but I sure as hell hope we continue to stick together.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Yea I think a lot of it has to do with the message Feaster delivered after the prospect tourny as everyone has been giving 100%, in the past veterans use to just take it easy now they are fighting every shift for a spot its great to see and has helped fuel my high hopes for this season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What Hanowski incident?

From the CP thread on the annual season ticket holder meeting:

Conroy told a story about how veterans in his career who made the younger and newer guys feel comfortable made a huge difference. Followed it up with one where he found Hankowski sitting by himself at the 'Dome as everyone else had left for a group lunch type thing...ripped into Giordano and Glencross for leaving him behind - this needs to change going forward.

It is a big deal. There's much more to being a successful leader than just talking loudly and hitting people every once in a while. Fostering cohesion and trust is fundamental to getting the most out of everyone. It's the vets job on the team to ensure the younger kids coming up feel like they're part of the team, that they belong there, and know what to do going forward.

And this isn't just a knock on just Giordano (although he definitely deserves it a bit more since there was talk about him talking over as captain before Iginla was even traded), but rather the entire leadership group (Tanguay, Kiprusoff, Wideman, Stempniak, Cammalleri, Stajan, Glencross, Hudler, Jackman, etc.). Say what you want about Conroy or Iginla as players, but you could never imagine something like that happening under their watch. Which is why I would have preferred it if they had gone without giving someone the 'C' this season and then seen who steps up and earns it, even if it's a 19 year old Monahan.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
It's pretty clear that the flames want character guys that will work their butt off every shift. It's been showing in drafts and only a matter of time before they break into the lineup. Players like Monahan, Klimchuk, Sieloff, and even kanzig are all 110% effort players and most importantly, team players. Big reason why that bum tanguay was shipped out of town

Trae

Calgary
Hopefully if Backlund has a consistent year he will be recognized on this board for his leadership qualities. He's always been a team player, seems to always listen to what the coach and management say, will stick up for teammates in rare circumstances even though he's the furthest thing from a fighter, and plays a huge role in the community. Hope he gets the "A" when Cammy gets traded.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hopefully if Backlund has a consistent year he will be recognized on this board for his leadership qualities. He's always been a team player, seems to always listen to what the coach and management say, will stick up for teammates in rare circumstances even though he's the furthest thing from a fighter, and plays a huge role in the community. Hope he gets the "A" when Cammy gets traded.

I wouldn't say he's entirely unrecognized this far. A few people (myself included) were hoping that he would get an A this year, which still isn't out of the question if one of our leaders is traded.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't say he's entirely unrecognized this far. A few people (myself included) were hoping that he would get an A this year, which still isn't out of the question if one of our leaders is traded.

He's a great guy, met him getting off of a plane this summer. Really loves the city, and just seems like an intelligent dude. Hope he stays healthy, kids just starting to breakout.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

He also showed up to the prospect camp and was chatting with a lot of the younger prospects. Love Mikey.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Mikael loves playing here. He's really grown on me the past few seasons. I think he could be a guy looked upon for leadership a little ways down the road. He's already starting to become pretty vocal, he's always got that positive attitude, plays consistently well even if he's not scoring and stands up for his teammates.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Mikael loves playing here. He's really grown on me the past few seasons. I think he could be a guy looked upon for leadership a little ways down the road. He's already starting to become pretty vocal, he's always got that positive attitude, plays consistently well even if he's not scoring and stands up for his teammates.

I'll never forget him standing up for Glencross against Anaheim last year. I was incredulous, giggling and impressed at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad