Confirmed with Link: Giordano New Flames Captain

Trae

Calgary
Mark Giordano named new Captain

Weird to actually see someone else wear it, but excellent choice!

http://cflam.es/1aQRmbU

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that Mark Giordano has been named team captain. Giordano becomes the 19th player in franchise history to wear the captain’s C for the Flames. Curtis Glencross and Mike Cammalleri will return as assistant captains.

“Mark represents all the qualities that we set as a coaching staff and an organization,” said head coach Bob Hartley. “He is a quality man who is proud to represent the Calgary Flames both on and off the ice. We are very happy with these three men leading and setting the example for our team, and especially our young players, as we move through this crucial yet exciting period in the history of the Flames franchise.”

After receiving an invitation from the Flames to attend development camp in the summer of 2004, Mark Giordano signed as a free agent and spent the next two seasons with the Flames American Hockey League affiliate. He split the 2006-07 season between the AHL and Calgary before becoming a staple on the Flames blueline in 2007-08. Giordano was appointed assistant captain to start the 2011-12 season.

In 385 career games over seven seasons with Calgary, the Toronto native has recorded 41 goals and 109 assists for 150 points while accumulating 366 penalty minutes.

The dedication he displays on ice as one of the league leaders each year in blocked shots, is only paralleled by his off-ice commitments. Beyond participation in Flames community relations programs and Flames Foundation for Life events, Mark chose to align with Habitat for Humanity as a spokesman for their 5 for 5 campaign along with his wife Lauren. Giordano is also one of the ambassadors of the Flames’ Reading…Give it a Shot! program which encourages literacy for students through a reading incentive program.

Giordano was the 2011-12 recipient of the J.R. McCaig Award. The award honours two Calgary Flames personnel, a player and staff member, who best exemplify Mr. McCaig’s enduring virtues of respect, courtesy and compassion for all individuals he encountered both in his professional and everyday life. Mr. McCaig was a long time member of the Flames ownership group and a great contributor to the Calgary community.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=683272

The Calgary Flames announced today that Mark Giordano has been named team captain. Giordano becomes the 19th player in franchise history to wear the captain’s C for the Flames. Curtis Glencross and Mike Cammalleri will return as assistant captains.

BUnVrLDCQAAN_Av.jpg

Woohoo! Congrats Gio!

Trae

Calgary
So weird seeing someone else wear it, I'm happy with this though, time to start over!

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I was calling Gio as the next captain after Iggy since the 2009 season.

Great choice... until Monahan takes it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When I was a kid, my first memory of a Flames captain was Todd Simpson. I think that with that sort of quality wearing the C, it's easy to understand why the quantity is so high.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Great pick!

Still think Sutter was an idiot for not signing him and watching him play a year in Europe.

Aug 3, 2010
Great pick!

Still think Sutter was an idiot for not signing him and watching him play a year in Europe.
This is where an entire fanbase disagrees with you and tells you that one of the reasons Giordano is even in this position today is because he developed better playing amongst men in a slightly lower quality of competition to then come back hungrier to the NHL to prove himself.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Giordano is the man for the job. He's always been a good player.

I bet he was the captain for a rebuild. He's vocal, physical, and doesn't slack off. He's got to be the example for these guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad