Confirmed with Link: Giordano New Flames Captain

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Backlund impressed me last year, but I was close to considering him a bust before. He just wasn't getting it done before

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Or if he plays well this year should we not just deal Stajan?

Backlund has a higher ceiling than Stajan IMO. I can see him similar to a Derek Roy and put up 1 or 2 good seasons around 65+ points, but best as a 2nd line centre good for 50 points.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think Backlund has that much time left in Calgary to be honest. We're going to need to clear out the middle soon to let some of the kids in.

Could happen, but it's hard to see trading Backlund with his current value as worth it. The only worthy return would be a more sure-fire young winger or d-man or a high pick, and I can't see any teams giving that for him unless he breaks out and stays healthy for a full season. Other options to clear out the middle are to move him to the wing (where I've been told he is quite proficient) or trade someone else like Stajan, who is a known and more reliable commodity for a contender to add.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Hey guys, Oiler fan coming in peace aha... I've just got a question about Giordano, he's available in my keeper league to pick up and I think I'd rather him over a few guys how are left, those include Niskane, Salo, Zidlicy and Diaz. Anyways just wondering how he's looking so far and if you guys project him to score around 40? he has before so hoping he can again.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hey guys, Oiler fan coming in peace aha... I've just got a question about Giordano, he's available in my keeper league to pick up and I think I'd rather him over a few guys how are left, those include Niskane, Salo, Zidlicy and Diaz. Anyways just wondering how he's looking so far and if you guys project him to score around 40? he has before so hoping he can again.

At the start of the year I would have laughed if you said that Gio would be close to 40 points but this year it seems Hartley has allowed him to use his shot more and take a few more chances. I think he should get 30 easily and could push for 40 if we figure out our pp.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Giordano will probably do 33 to 40 this year, maybe closer to 40 based on what we've seen so far. I wouldn't expect him to break that unless he ends up really lighting up later on, which I doubt, considering that we're projected to be basement-dwellers this year.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Backlund has that much time left in Calgary to be honest. We're going to need to clear out the middle soon to let some of the kids in.

To let some of the kids in? what is Backlund 40? He is one of the kids, and if he is better than them they don't deserve the spot. He has been excellent and has done absolutely everything that has been asked of him. He is a very servicable 2nd line center and would be an excellent 3rd line center if the have 2 more talented centers. He's creative with the puck, he battles hard in both ends of the ice, and he is excellent defensively, as well as blocking shots and playing on the PK. There is absolutely no reason to move him, especially when he is finally showing the player we hoped he would be when we drafted him. I see Backlund getting a mid length extension at the end of this season and possibly an A with the leadership he is showing on the ice, and by all sounds off the ice as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To let some of the kids in? what is Backlund 40? He is one of the kids, and if he is better than them they don't deserve the spot. He has been excellent and has done absolutely everything that has been asked of him. He is a very servicable 2nd line center and would be an excellent 3rd line center if the have 2 more talented centers. He's creative with the puck, he battles hard in both ends of the ice, and he is excellent defensively, as well as blocking shots and playing on the PK. There is absolutely no reason to move him, especially when he is finally showing the player we hoped he would be when we drafted him. I see Backlund getting a mid length extension at the end of this season and possibly an A with the leadership he is showing on the ice, and by all sounds off the ice as well.

Agree, 100%. I think Backlund has really rounded his game and he's now hands down one of our most consistent and best players. I also don't think it will ever be a good idea to trade him, because due to his point totals, other teams will probably never offer fair value for him.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Agree, 100%. I think Backlund has really rounded his game and he's now hands down one of our most consistent and best players. I also don't think it will ever be a good idea to trade him, because due to his point totals, other teams will probably never offer fair value for him.

Would you say his game is comparable to an Antoine Vermette? Well rounded 35-45 point center. How's he done on faceoffs this year? Glad to see him finally solidify a spot, Flames' C depth is starting to look stacked for the near future. I'll admit that I'm a total Monahan fanboy, he seriously reminds me of Toews (coming from someone who would take Toews over everyone sans a healthy Crosby - your team's future is looking as bight an any).

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

To be fair he's stepped it up a lot this year and I posted that comment before the season started. On the other hand though, would you rather have Backlund + some prospect or a decent young d-man who might have top pairing potential?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Would you say his game is comparable to an Antoine Vermette? Well rounded 35-45 point center. How's he done on faceoffs this year? Glad to see him finally solidify a spot, Flames' C depth is starting to look stacked for the near future. I'll admit that I'm a total Monahan fanboy, he seriously reminds me of Toews (coming from someone who would take Toews over everyone sans a healthy Crosby - your team's future is looking as bight an any).

Honestly, like a lot of Flames, his faceoffs have been relatively underwhelming, but tonight he was something like 58% against the Sharks! I think Vermette is a great comparable. Very responsible and can burn you on the offensive end.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
To be fair he's stepped it up a lot this year and I posted that comment before the season started. On the other hand though, would you rather have Backlund + some prospect or a decent young d-man who might have top pairing potential?

He stepped up big last season, before you posted this, so not really sure what you were getting at. Backs is part of this teams future. If he continues to impress he's a solid #2, if not, he's already a good #3.

Gio seems like has so much swagger since getting the C, it's definitely working for him. Stepped his game up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was hooked on the Flames when Lanny, Pepper and Timmy Hunter were co-captains.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I remember when some guy named Joe Nieuwendyk was our captain for a little while. I really started getting into hockey when Theo was captain, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad