Gilman comments on cap structure

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I'd say he's been far better than Higgins at the price point.

Like usual you're ignoring past season's though.

No one is going to argue Higgins is having a good year this season. The broken foot in the pre-season likely caused him some issues this year. I can acknowledge Prust has looked better than Higgins for Higgins last 21 games.

However, outside of Higgins last 21 games, you absolutely have 0 argument that Prust is more valuable/better than Chris Higgins.

Tank

May 9, 2012
Langley
I really would not pay much attention to a guy who knows little about hockey and orchestrated the Luongo deal, the Burrows deal (4.5m) and the Higgins (2.5m) deal- those in glass houses should never throw stones. Those contracts are laughable.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I really would not pay much attention to a guy who knows little about hockey and orchestrated the Luongo deal, the Burrows deal (4.5m) and the Higgins (2.5m) deal- those in glass houses should never throw stones. Those contracts are laughable.

You can't be serious. :facepalm:

The Luongo deal was an excellent deal when it was signed.

Burrows was also a top line 30 goal scoring winger when he signed his contract. And $2.5M for Higgins is not a bad deal at all. We're paying more to Derek Drosett FFS

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Rather have Grenier and Kenins on the 4th line.

Prust can barely finish a check he is too slow. Plus it gives you speed and some offense too.

He is at the very least a capable 4th liner. Might not love the price of him, but were talking about the player not the contract. I like Kenins, and I agree I would rather have him on the 4th line, but I don't see that as a slight on Prust. IMO, Prust and dorsett are two of the better 4th liners this team has had in a long time, although they are both at least a million bucks too expensive.

Tank

May 9, 2012
Langley
Very serious - the biggest mistakes GM make is paying for past performance - Gilman is guilty twice with Burrows and Higgins - I will take Dorsett over either guy right now. Mistakes do happen but don't go on as an expert when you have screwed up just as bad.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Very serious - the biggest mistakes GM make is paying for past performance - Gilman is guilty twice with Burrows and Higgins - I will take Dorsett over either guy right now. Mistakes do happen but don't go on as an expert when you have screwed up just as bad.
Your view is completely backwards.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

You mean like Benning paying $6M to Ryan Miller?

As recent as last year the Burrows and Higgins contracts didn't look too bad.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't understand some people, even with Higgins struggles I would rather have him on my team, than prust and Dorsett. It's just a no brainer. Burrows has proven he can play anywhere in the lineup and play well, if we put him back with the twins he would be a 30 goal scorer. He is worth his contract.

Anyway can say what they want about the Luongo contract, but without him, and without that deal I highly doubt we make it to game 7. That season alone was a masterfully craft peice of art with the CBA.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Higgins at least more than earned his salary in the last 2 seasons.
Dorsett is not going to live up to his contact this season, next or the season after.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I don't understand some people, even with Higgins struggles I would rather have him on my team, than prust and Dorsett. It's just a no brainer. Burrows has proven he can play anywhere in the lineup and play well, if we put him back with the twins he would be a 30 goal scorer. He is worth his contract.

Anyway can say what they want about the Luongo contract, but without him, and without that deal I highly doubt we make it to game 7. That season alone was a masterfully craft peice of art with the CBA.

without all of those contracts PLUS literally organizing surgery to coincide with injury returns, we dont make it. anyone who suggests gilman is anything other than amazing at his job is probably not capable of understanding how razor thin the margins were in 2011

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

How about a hope and a prayer signing - re: Pizza?

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
This guys knows "little" about Hockey then as well since they were together:
000000000000000000000000000000000000000044.jpg

But let me guess. You do :laugh:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

He isnt - and btw in the end it was still Gillis who had the final say, Gilman just worked out the deals.

Even after Burrows and Higgins signed those deals, they performed at least close to value of those contracts for several years.

Miller is not performing like a 6m goalie, Dorsett is not performing like a 2.65m player, Sbisa is not performing like a 3.6m defender (and never has so far in his career).

I ll take the contracts where the players perform for half or more the term in good value over contracts where the players never live up to the money they are getting. Watching tape doesnt count either.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
tank please

i've been on the trade burrows bandwagon since the season that contract kicked in, (Torts year,) but not because it was bad. the contract was absolutely fine at the time, but his play diminshed that season. he scored at over a 40 point pace the season before IIRC, and had produced 50+ the four seasons prior.

higgins had been a consistent producer, and they signed him at 3rd line money. that's a hindsight looks bad contract, because he, like burrows, has lost his effectiveness quicker than expected.

actually wait - they signed burrows before season's start of 2012/2013 - so he'd come off a 50 point season.

the issue w benning's contracts is that they're not bad in hindsight, but they're bad as soon as they're signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad