Gillis vs Torts vs both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Ha! So now it appears Gillis might get fired in part because he hired Tortorella. Which couldn't be more different from the story that had become gospel around here (which, ahem, I never believed) that Tortorella was forced on Gillis by ownership.

It's all so weird.

And depressing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Ha! So now it appears Gillis might get fired in part because he hired Tortorella. Which couldn't be more different from the story that had become gospel around here (which, ahem, I never believed) that Tortorella was forced on Gillis by ownership.

It's all so weird.

And depressing.

Further, would the Aquilini's really threaten to sue the media if the scuttlebutt were true? I have no doubt they were in on the decision, but I don't think it's realistic that they were the ones forcing this hire on Gillis.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
How the heck is Torts winning this poll?

He has had nothing to do with the 3 previous embarrassing playoff exits before he arrived, in which absolutely NOTHING has changed with the core. NOTHING.

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011
Torts has to go. Ambivalent about Gillis. Gillis may have stumbled a bit but at least he's on the right track. Right now, I see more viable options to replace Torts than there are to replace Gillis. I have a feeling that firing Gillis would be more of a kneejerk reaction to try and sell more season tickets.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
How the heck is Torts winning this poll?

He has had nothing to do with the 3 previous embarrassing playoff exits before he arrived, in which absolutely NOTHING has changed with the core. NOTHING.

You're right. 'Torts' and 'playoffs' don't belong in the same sentence.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Gillis is a great president.

Forward thinking.
Eagle eye for money ball signings.
Good at making the Canuck brand profitable.
Passionate about giving back to the community.

Gillis is a horrific GM.

I can't think of another currently employed GM that has made this many critical errors that have resulted in significantly downgraded the overall state of the franchise.

It boggles my mind to see people defend Gillis.

2 franchise goalies gone, and a ravaged prospect cupboard. An aging core with families rooted deep into Vancouver sheltered with NTC.

Gillis has clearly been shunned by his colleagues, you can only play hardball so long, especially when everyone knows your asking price, then later see you settle for significantly less when backed into the corner.

Gillis would make a great aid as an acting president over a GM starting out or starting over, he is extremely strong in certain areas. Trading players is not one of them.

I say keep Gillis as Pres and hire a new hockey mind to help with this mini rebuild in the GM position.

Because let's face it, if what the builder built get knocked down, chances are he is going to build the same thing over and over again.

I agree with most of this, though with respect to your very last comment I think Gillis has shown he can learn from situations, I don't think he would rebuild our team the same way. This isn't to say he will be any good at rebuilding I have no evidence to suggest either way, but he has learned to adapt for better and worse.

I can see them taking away his GM duties, but how involved are the owners? If they put in someone else like I'd go with Gilman than doesn't mean owners can't meddle with Gilman just as much or more

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I love how winning 15 playoff games is now an "embarrassing playoff exit".

I was going through the years in my head and thought I may had missed a season.

This is on ownership. If they go into next season with Torts, it was obviously their hire. Suing local media for suggesting that Torts was an ownership hire. What a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad