Confirmed with Link: Gilles Senn to sign contract with NJ

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
HCD-Goalie Gilles Senn über seinen Wechsel nach Nordamerika

Gilles Senn (22) leaves HC Davos

The goalie has definitely decided to accept the challenge and sign with the New Jersey Devils organization.
HCD-Keeper Gilles Senn will play next season in North America.
"I have a good feeling," says the 22-year-old.

Hope germinated very quickly that Gilles Senn, after his strong performances at the Spengler Cup, would still consider staying in Davos. But the goalie officially announced that he will leave the HCD at the end of the season. As a result, HCD signed EVZ backup Sandro Aeschlimann (24) for two years.
For Senn it was important to fulfill his contract in Davos. "I owe a lot to the club," says the 22-year-old. Two years ago the HCD relied on two young goalkeepers and gave Senn and Detroit prospect Joren van Pottelberghe (21, currently on loan to Kloten) a chance.
Now Senn is looking forward to an adventure in North America. The New Jersey Devils, the club of Swiss young star Nico Hischier (20), drafted the Valais player in the fifth round of the 2017 draft. Senn says that the NHL club has been trying hard to get him to come over to North America the past weeks and months.
"I've had a lot of contact with New Jersey." Coaching staff members often visited Davos to meet him, watch him play and to build mutual trust. That's why Senn says about his forthcoming change: "I have a good feeling". He wants to accept the challenge. However, contract details have not yet been clarified.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
EDIT - wait, this is all about next season? They need a goalie now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maine Fan

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Swiss source but I tried to translate it. Not sure if I did this correctly as I never created a thread before. Just thought I'd try to do this because I haven't found anything about it here. Feel free to edit or move this so everything is in order.

Not sure what this means for Schneider or Kinkaid but I could see Senn starting in the AHL.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The OP says he is leaving Davos at the end of the season, so I assume he is coming over to New Jersey/Binghamton next year or at the end of this year if his season ends early.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The OP says he is leaving Davos at the end of the season, so I assume he is coming over to New Jersey/Binghamton next year or at the end of this year if his season ends early.

Last regular season game is on the 4th of march but Davos probably has to play playouts so that's bound to extend his season a few more weeks. In the article there is no mention of it but with the current situation in NJ I think he'd be happy to help and get a few games in early. Pure speculation though. He didn't say (at least not in that article) that he would come right over after his season ends. Just that he's determined to fulfill his contract with Davos.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
2qgbux.jpg

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You can't win on this board. The Devils sign one of our prospects for next year and everyone is complaining about current issues. If we didn't sign him everyone would complain about that.

Yeah. I kinda understand Senn. If he leaves now it's very ungrateful since it would put his club in a bad spot. Lindbäck is terrible and Van Pottelberghe is gone for now and probably needs more development time anyway. Davos is in danger of getting relegated and Senn could be the difference in the end. I can see why he wants to fulfill his contract despite NJ needing him now. Loyalty is never a bad thing.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
You can't win on this board. The Devils sign one of our prospects for next year and everyone is complaining about current issues. If we didn't sign him everyone would complain about that.

It’s honestly just the same 2 or 3 people that try to rile everyone up with negative posts. Must be a fun life to need to try and be an Internet troll 24/7.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It’s honestly just the same 2 or 3 people that try to rile everyone up with negative posts. Must be a fun life to need to try and be an Internet troll 24/7.

I kinda understand both sides. It would be a great chance for Senn to get some NHL experience and he'd also help out the NJ organization by coming over now. But him being loyal to Davos isn't a bad thing. Also, I don't know if he has an NHL out clause. He probably doesn't and Davos would never let him go early. Not in their current situation.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I kinda understand both sides. It would be a great chance for Senn to get some NHL experience and he'd also help out the NJ organization by coming over now. But him being loyal to Davos isn't a bad thing. Also, I don't know if he has an NHL out clause. He probably doesn't and Davos would never let him go early. Not in their current situation.
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be in the NHL if he left immediately. I'm sure he'd be in Bing

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Meh I think people were just annoyed seeing the Confirmed With Link signing a goalie and finding out it’s a futures contract considering this is at the same time three of our top four goalies are on the shelf. If this happened two weeks ago it would have been a shrug reaction.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Meh I think people were just annoyed seeing the Confirmed With Link signing a goalie and finding out it’s a futures contract considering this is at the same time three of our top four goalies are on the shelf. If this happened two weeks ago it would have been a shrug reaction.

I guess it just depends on how you view things in life. I saw a goalie signed and then the name and immediately realized this wouldn’t be a move for now. So instead, people would rather rush a goalies development because our bottom 5 team may need one to dress tomorrow? Just screams to me someone or someone’s looking to try to complain about the next thing. Maybe it’s just me though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Attention. I wrote "to sign"...which, if my English knowledge doesn't let me down, means that he hasn't signed but is going to. Based on the title it should be pretty clear that this upcoming move has nothing to do with the current NJ goaltending situation. If not then I apologize for that. Wasn't my intention to mislead you guys. Feel free to change the prefix or title if needed.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be in the NHL if he left immediately. I'm sure he'd be in Bing

Depends on Blackwood I guess. If he's gonna miss significant time then they'd probably give him a shot would he be free to come over. I'm not following the Devils too closely...I'm just a Swiss NHL-fan so I could be wrong. But if Blackwood is out then the Devils don't have many options left. That's for sure.

Reactions: My3Sons and bodda

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad