Confirmed with Link: Gilles Senn to sign contract with NJ

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by Hinterland, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Hinterland

Hinterland Registered User

Would be pretty cool for Hischier I guess if Senn could make the team at some point. I have no clue how well they know each other or how they get along but they grew up about 35km away from each other and played for the same under 15 team (Visp) in juniors. They were also selected for the same national teams on multiple occasions.

2. Hinterland

Hinterland Registered User

Interesting interview with Senn taken from HC Davos homepage:

Das grosse Interview mit Gilles Senn

THE BIG INTERVIEW WITH GILLES SENN

Despite the goalkeeper turbulences at the beginning of the season, Gilles Senn has been in strong form for quite some time. The 22-year-old talks about the shock a few days before the start of the season, his relationship with Anders Lindbäck and why he has decided not to accept the HCD's offer for next season and will change to the NHL organization of the New Jersey Devils.

Gilles Senn, you were named one of the Three Stars at HC Davos at the end of the last Spengler Cup and were recently voted best HCD player in the game after losing 1-0 to Bern. What do such awards mean to you?

Gilles Senn: For me, how I played is more important when I analyze the games with my goalkeeper coach Marcel Kull. I've worked hard with him over the last few months to deliver the best matches possible. When other people see my performance the same way, it's nice, of course. What's more important to me than awards like this at the end of a match or a tournament is that we win the games.

I have the impression that at the moment, you are playing safer and better than ever...

I already showed very good performances during the preseason, especially in August at the tournament in Riga against the Russian KHL teams. But I'm still not where I want to be. I'm still making little mistakes. Ice hockey lives from mistakes, of course. But you try to make as few as possible. From time to time I managed that. A few games showed me that I was on the right track.

You had to deal with Anders Lindbäck's engagement immediately before the start of the season. From mid-September until the end of November, you largely had to accept the backup role. How did you experience this phase?

It was not a good time for me. Of course I wanted to play. As I mentioned, I had a good feeling beforehand. I also received good feedback from the staff, they were satisfied with me. Shortly before the start of the season, everything was overrun. I already had to gnaw at it. Without regular playing time, I had a little more time to work with my goalkeeper coach and friend Marcel Kull, to train even harder. I also worked in the mental area. From time to time I got a chance to play. But it is more difficult to be ready on that day than if you can't play regularly. I showed what I can do when I was allowed to play more again.

It was certainly a shock for you when you heard about the appointment of a foreign goalkeeper five days before the start of the season.

These news struck me unexpectedly. As I said, we had very strong opponents in the preseason. In these games, Joren van Pottelberghe and I showed quite good performances. As a team, we weren't always totally concentrated over 60 minutes, but we played very well overall. Against the Russian champion AK Bars Kasan for example, we lost by a narrow margin but we did a lot of good things. Yes, the new situation was difficult for me initially.

How did you process the whole thing?

At first I withdrew. Then I felt that I wanted too much as a reaction. I wanted to prove to Coach Arno Del Curto that I was much better. Afterwards, I worked everything up with Marcel Kull and that got me back on track. During training, I showed what I was capable of.

How is your relationship with Anders Lindbäck?

The first days after his arrival in Davos were difficult because we didn't know each other. But then everything worked just fine. We maintain a comradely relationship. Anders Lindbäck is not to blame for the HCD goalkeeper situation. On the ice, I look at what he is doing and he pays attention to me. Then we exchange our observations. Yes, we're working well together.

Lindbäck played in North America since 2010. Did you ask him for tips?

We didn't talk much about it yet. Surely I can learn from what happened at the HCD this season. Because in North America it's common for players to be pushed back and forth. Lindbäck said that he initially had problems with that, but that these changes don't mean that you're bad or not playing well when you're transferred to the farm team. The NHL organization wants to test you and see how you handle it. They also want to show you that you have to fight your way up. Lindbäck also said that moving between the NHL and farm teams wasn't easy.

After this season you will move to the New Jersey Devils, who drafted you. The HCD offered you a contract for next season, too. Was it a defiant reaction on your part after the events at the beginning of this season that you refused?

No, that wasn't a defiant reaction at all. I thought about staying with the HCD for a long time. Because I almost never played at the beginning of the season, I had a guilty conscience about moving to the New Jersey Devils organization because I wasn't playing much. I thought a lot about it and I talked to a lot of people. But the people in charge of the Devils wanted me to come to them, even if I hadn't played at all this season. When the HCD hired Lindbäck, they even wanted me to move to New Jersey immediately. I feel the confidence that the New Jersey Devils have in me. I want to seize this opportunity. Otherwise I might regret it at some point.

The tents to the HCD and to Davos you will not break off nevertheless...

I will be staying in Davos next spring and summer anyway and will be doing my summer training here with a private fitness trainer whom I hire myself. I also intend to go on the ice with the HCD in the summer. I have already had positive discussions with HCD Sports Director René Müller. And if it doesn't work out in North America, the HCD will be my first choice...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Nubmer6 and bodda like this.