Confirmed with Link: Gilles Senn to sign contract with NJ

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by Hinterland, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Hinterland

Hinterland Registered User

Would be pretty cool for Hischier I guess if Senn could make the team at some point. I have no clue how well they know each other or how they get along but they grew up about 35km away from each other and played for the same under 15 team (Visp) in juniors. They were also selected for the same national teams on multiple occasions.

2. Hinterland

Interesting interview with Senn taken from HC Davos homepage:

Das grosse Interview mit Gilles Senn

THE BIG INTERVIEW WITH GILLES SENN

Despite the goalkeeper turbulences at the beginning of the season, Gilles Senn has been in strong form for quite some time. The 22-year-old talks about the shock a few days before the start of the season, his relationship with Anders Lindbäck and why he has decided not to accept the HCD's offer for next season and will change to the NHL organization of the New Jersey Devils.

Gilles Senn, you were named one of the Three Stars at HC Davos at the end of the last Spengler Cup and were recently voted best HCD player in the game after losing 1-0 to Bern. What do such awards mean to you?

Gilles Senn: For me, how I played is more important when I analyze the games with my goalkeeper coach Marcel Kull. I've worked hard with him over the last few months to deliver the best matches possible. When other people see my performance the same way, it's nice, of course. What's more important to me than awards like this at the end of a match or a tournament is that we win the games.

I have the impression that at the moment, you are playing safer and better than ever...

I already showed very good performances during the preseason, especially in August at the tournament in Riga against the Russian KHL teams. But I'm still not where I want to be. I'm still making little mistakes. Ice hockey lives from mistakes, of course. But you try to make as few as possible. From time to time I managed that. A few games showed me that I was on the right track.

You had to deal with Anders Lindbäck's engagement immediately before the start of the season. From mid-September until the end of November, you largely had to accept the backup role. How did you experience this phase?

It was not a good time for me. Of course I wanted to play. As I mentioned, I had a good feeling beforehand. I also received good feedback from the staff, they were satisfied with me. Shortly before the start of the season, everything was overrun. I already had to gnaw at it. Without regular playing time, I had a little more time to work with my goalkeeper coach and friend Marcel Kull, to train even harder. I also worked in the mental area. From time to time I got a chance to play. But it is more difficult to be ready on that day than if you can't play regularly. I showed what I can do when I was allowed to play more again.

It was certainly a shock for you when you heard about the appointment of a foreign goalkeeper five days before the start of the season.

These news struck me unexpectedly. As I said, we had very strong opponents in the preseason. In these games, Joren van Pottelberghe and I showed quite good performances. As a team, we weren't always totally concentrated over 60 minutes, but we played very well overall. Against the Russian champion AK Bars Kasan for example, we lost by a narrow margin but we did a lot of good things. Yes, the new situation was difficult for me initially.

How did you process the whole thing?

At first I withdrew. Then I felt that I wanted too much as a reaction. I wanted to prove to Coach Arno Del Curto that I was much better. Afterwards, I worked everything up with Marcel Kull and that got me back on track. During training, I showed what I was capable of.

How is your relationship with Anders Lindbäck?

The first days after his arrival in Davos were difficult because we didn't know each other. But then everything worked just fine. We maintain a comradely relationship. Anders Lindbäck is not to blame for the HCD goalkeeper situation. On the ice, I look at what he is doing and he pays attention to me. Then we exchange our observations. Yes, we're working well together.

Lindbäck played in North America since 2010. Did you ask him for tips?

We didn't talk much about it yet. Surely I can learn from what happened at the HCD this season. Because in North America it's common for players to be pushed back and forth. Lindbäck said that he initially had problems with that, but that these changes don't mean that you're bad or not playing well when you're transferred to the farm team. The NHL organization wants to test you and see how you handle it. They also want to show you that you have to fight your way up. Lindbäck also said that moving between the NHL and farm teams wasn't easy.

After this season you will move to the New Jersey Devils, who drafted you. The HCD offered you a contract for next season, too. Was it a defiant reaction on your part after the events at the beginning of this season that you refused?

No, that wasn't a defiant reaction at all. I thought about staying with the HCD for a long time. Because I almost never played at the beginning of the season, I had a guilty conscience about moving to the New Jersey Devils organization because I wasn't playing much. I thought a lot about it and I talked to a lot of people. But the people in charge of the Devils wanted me to come to them, even if I hadn't played at all this season. When the HCD hired Lindbäck, they even wanted me to move to New Jersey immediately. I feel the confidence that the New Jersey Devils have in me. I want to seize this opportunity. Otherwise I might regret it at some point.

The tents to the HCD and to Davos you will not break off nevertheless...

I will be staying in Davos next spring and summer anyway and will be doing my summer training here with a private fitness trainer whom I hire myself. I also intend to go on the ice with the HCD in the summer. I have already had positive discussions with HCD Sports Director René Müller. And if it doesn't work out in North America, the HCD will be my first choice...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Nubmer6 and bodda like this.
  3. Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes “I love to hockey” Sponsor

He is now signed. ELC at about 817k

My3Sons likes this.
  4. Bleedred

Bleedred Make a frickin save

Carpenter
    I wish they wouldn't have. What are we gonna do with Cam Johnson now? Dude has soooooo much potential!

Billdo likes this.
  5. Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes “I love to hockey” Sponsor

I smoked a bit and then read this - had me going for a little while lol

Bleedred likes this.
  6. Nubmer6

Nubmer6 We want... Information

My3Sons likes this.
  7. Classic Devil

Classic Devil Spirit of 1988

Awards:
    I like Senn. Look forward to seeing him in camp.

8. HappyGusevDay

HappyGusevDay Everyday is Gusev Day

Lindback is his mentor?

Oh joy.

9. Hinterland

We
    Well, in january he announced that he's gonna leave Davos to sign with the Devils. Even if he didn't tell them himself, they probably read news papers.
    Now that he made the journey to NA, how surprised can his parents realistically be that he signed his contract? They'd surely be more surprised if he didn't:laugh::laugh:

mdj12784 and Nubmer6 like this.
  10. Hinterland

Where did he say that? They were on the same roster and respected each other. Doesn't sound like they had a special relationship or something like it.

11. Tretyak 20

Tretyak 20 Registered User

Home Page:
    "Ok, Gilles, now make sure you try to stand up real big. Then hopefully the puck will just hit you!"

mtnet and mdj12784 like this.
  12. BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez Corsi is GROSSLY overrated

WANTED: Defensive System

[​IMG]

13. Nubmer6

No sleepies!!!

GameSeven, Bleedred, mtnet and 2 others like this.
  14. OmNomNom

OmNomNom Betting Money McLeod Breaks Out

Engineer

My3Sons likes this.
  15. None Shall Pass

None Shall Pass ^^^Taylor Hall's breeding buddy

COMPUTER
    Handsome fella right there

OmNomNom likes this.
  16. StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves Registered User

Sports journalist
    I'm guessing Senn will be taking Blackwood's spot in the AHL next year. I'd offer a scouting report, but he's a goalie, so I'm more likely to just cross my fingers and hope he becomes really good.

mtnet and My3Sons like this.
  17. Nubmer6

The Athletic's article on Schmidt has me more excited about him than Senn. The devil you know, I guess.

18. Camille the Eel

Camille the Eel Registered User

Nice move. Depth here is big. Corey even if recovered probably isn’t going to be around when this kid is 25. And if and when injury hits anywhere - Corey or Blackwood - this kid sounds like he can help.

19. Nubmer6

We'll see how he adjusts to North America. I can already see him having a rough first couple games and everyone here prematurely labeling him a bust.

20. glenwo2

glenwo2 BRATT IS BETTER THAN STAFFORD!!!

Staying alive. ;)
    isn't it the same for all Swiss? :sarcasm:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    None Shall Pass and Darkauron like this.
  21. devilsblood

devilsblood Registered User

Schmid's USHL season was encouraging for sure, but league's do need to be considered. As do team quality within the league. Schmid's team was rough on goalies so his play was even a little more encouraging, didn't sound like Senn's team was too good either.

Now Schmid hasn't even turned 19 yet. Senn just turned 23.

Short term I don't see Senn or Schmid as guys who provide depth at the NHL level. I think we will still need a vet guy shomewhere, but long term I think Shero see's these guy as legit possibilities. Given ages I imagine they hope Senn can be counted on within a year or two, while Schmid further down the line.

Was Johnson ever really considered as someone who could someday play in the NHL, or was he always more of a place holder? I tend to think that latter.

22. Classic Devil

Classic Devil Spirit of 1988

Awards:
    I tend to think the latter as well. I expect Senn to tandem with Cormier in Binghamton and hope that we don't need to see any of him in the NHL next season (if we do, it means one of Schneider or Blackwood is injured). We will need a veteran goalie in Binghamton to help mentor those two and provide depth, but Schneider, Blackwood, Veteran, Senn, Cormier is a pretty good top-5 G in my book.

23. Zippy316

Zippy316 aka Zippo

Seems to me this means the Devils are committed to Schneider-Blackwood at the NHL level.

Probably will sign a veteran goalie that can back-up if need be at the NHL level in the role Lack's had. Then either have Senn or Cormier tandem with them at the AHL level.

Darkauron and Classic Devil like this.
  24. MilwaukeeDevil

MilwaukeeDevil Registered User

So we have Senn, Schmid and Cormier down the pipeline at goalie. I'm assuming Cormier has the least upside of the bunch?

25. Nubmer6

Yeah, but he also has the most experience so far, so he'll probably be in the AHL. I expect us to sign a veteran to pair with him, sending Senn down to the ECHL. If he does well they may end up swapping spots - presuming our NHL goalies stay healthy and Mac doesn't flounder.