Speculation: Gilbert Brule to vancouver (update: to phoenix training camp)

Tanevian*

Considering Brule isn't very good, I'm not sure why anyone would be all that upset about this. I guess a PTO wouldn't hurt anyone, but it's not as though the Canucks are passing up a prime asset here.

If he was never a Giant this conversation would not be happening. What happens in these threads is the "I told you so" crowd like say as much as they can in hopes something turns out right. Then they scuttle back and remind everyone.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I trust Gillis' amateur scouting (i.e. 1st round picks) but his pro scouting leaves a lot to be desired.

Remember when we were all clamouring to get Malhotra here on a tryout? Instead he revives his career in SJ and then we pay a premium to get him.

Of course even at that price, he was great until his injury, but still... it was a move that made so much sense and Gillis vetoed it based on what? Ryan Johnson making him redundant? Our amazingly deep 4th line?

That's not to say Brule would be anywhere close, but to close the door on a tryout is disappointing. Meanwhile signing guys like Santorelli and that other Italian fellow whose name escapes me isn't really doing anything more to help our depth than giving Brule a tryout. At least Brule still has some upside.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Brule if he rebounds is capable of 45 points in a tweener role.

Brule if he rebounds is capable of 35 points in a bottom 6 role.

That's the type of redundancy we need. He should have received a PTO.

Gillis' answer was embarrassing - what's wrong with competition for a bottom six spot? What's wrong with stashing a 30 point guy on the 4th line?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
lotta people laying on the smack now that he wasn't offered a shot by the canucks. all i know is i wanted to see him play a full season in his home town without having to cope with so many external factors. people don't see the influence of the things he's had to put up with. phoenix isn't going to regret putting him on their team.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
lotta people laying on the smack now that he wasn't offered a shot by the canucks. all i know is i wanted to see him play a full season in his home town without having to cope with so many external factors. people don't see the influence of the things he's had to put up with. phoenix isn't going to regret putting him on their team.

I think this may be one of the reasons why GMMG doesn't want to touch him. He's seen the effects of meddling parents (Hodgson); and protected players who were going through tough times (Rypien); and is all too familiar with public distractions (Luo & Schnieds); heck, he swears against signing Russians (presumably due to acting for a few as player's agents). Perhaps, he's been fooled onc- twi-, thri-, four times and doesn't want the potential headache that goes along with a reclamation project?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
It's kind of odd the way Gillis referred to Brule as 'redundant'...
Why not just not comment on him as is customary?

I've always been a Gillis fan, but it seems more and more like his ego gets the better of him, and the team suffers for it.

Is he simply 'redundant' bc Gallagher did a sales pitch type of article trying to force some pressure on Gillis to offer him a contract or PTO, and Gillis resents it ?

I commented earlier in multiple posts how horrific Brule's stats were in the Swiss league, but it would have been a good idea to give him a chance. If nothing else it would kill some of the talk about how we almost seem to go out of our way to avoid the Giants and there former players.

Anyways, best of luck to Brule. Hope it works out.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I think it was a mistake not to give him a tryout, but I guess we'd have plenty of centers at training camp already.
Henrik Sedin, Kesler, Schroeder, Richardson, Santorelli, Gaunce, Horvat, Lain, Mallet.

Nov 1, 2011
I think it was a mistake not to give him a tryout, but I guess we'd have plenty of centers at training camp already.
Henrik Sedin, Kesler, Schroeder, Richardson, Santorelli, Gaunce, Horvat, Lain, Mallet.

Yeah, I think the annoying thing is that there's no harm in giving a guy a PTO.

In terms of centres, H. Sedin + Kesler are locks. Schroeder seems very likely to get a spot.

After that, Richardson could play wing. Santorelli, Gaunce, Horvat, Lain, and Mallet are all guys who could make it by beating out all centres on PTOs or get sent down without a 2nd thought. I wouldn't give another centre, unless it's a veteran that we really want, a contract but a PTO makes sense IMO.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Kinda funny how a day after Gillis mentions he has no interest in Brule at all, Brule signs a PTO with Phoenix.

...you're welcome Gilbert. ;)

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It's kind of odd the way Gillis referred to Brule as 'redundant'...
Why not just not comment on him as is customary?

I've always been a Gillis fan, but it seems more and more like his ego gets the better of him, and the team suffers for it.

Is he simply 'redundant' bc Gallagher did a sales pitch type of article trying to force some pressure on Gillis to offer him a contract or PTO, and Gillis resents it ?

I commented earlier in multiple posts how horrific Brule's stats were in the Swiss league, but it would have been a good idea to give him a chance. If nothing else it would kill some of the talk about how we almost seem to go out of our way to avoid the Giants and there former players.

Anyways, best of luck to Brule. Hope it works out.

I dont get the trend these days of people talking about MGs ego... just me maybe
Gallagher is reported to be his friend, and I doubt that article puts any pressure on MG
He is redundant because he is a 1st round bust at this stage and MG/Torts have decided that they are very very keen to have some prospects steep up to the NHL, and they have decided that the best way to motivate them is to leave a spot open for them to battle among themselves for, I guess spending there resources evaluating them in camp and not a project they dont want to sign.
Im sure he does not give two ***** about the talk of him avoiding giants players, since it is just not true, I believe he would trade his mother for a Giants player (or Russian) if it was right for the club...

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
Brule if he rebounds is capable of 45 points in a tweener role.

Brule if he rebounds is capable of 35 points in a bottom 6 role.

That's the type of redundancy we need. He should have received a PTO.

Gillis' answer was embarrassing - what's wrong with competition for a bottom six spot? What's wrong with stashing a 30 point guy on the 4th line?

Your out to lunch his best year ever was a 37pt year. On top of that he has played 88 games of hockey since 2010.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
The real reason Daly was in Vancouver, Phoenix is so bad that they need to send ownership to try and convince these guys to try out for them...

hilib

Jul 13, 2006
This is pretty stupid... all Gillis was saying is what he repeated over and over all night, and for the last few weeks. We want to have our younger players compete for spots on the team this year, and for that to happen, we need to have spots. What does Gilbert Brule bring to this team that some of our younger guys don't? And far more importantly... if you've said that you're saving spots for our younger guys to compete, then bring in someone who offers what you bring, what message does that send to the younger guys who were just promised the opportunity to fight for a spot on the team. He's redundant for this team. Wasn't a cruel thing to say, just the truth. Forget his home town, forget what he was drafted at... look at his last 3 years and tell me why he deserves to even get a shot at a spot we can offer Gaunce/Lain/Schroeder?

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I dont get the trend these days of people talking about MGs ego... just me maybe
Gallagher is reported to be his friend, and I doubt that article puts any pressure on MG
He is redundant because he is a 1st round bust at this stage and MG/Torts have decided that they are very very keen to have some prospects steep up to the NHL, and they have decided that the best way to motivate them is to leave a spot open for them to battle among themselves for, I guess spending there resources evaluating them in camp and not a project they dont want to sign.
Im sure he does not give two ***** about the talk of him avoiding giants players, since it is just not true, I believe he would trade his mother for a Giants player (or Russian) if it was right for the club...

I agree, but it's just a matter of critics being critical. Fans clamoured & complained back in the Gillis/AV era when all kids of PTO's appeared and none of our prospects ever got jobs. Now they take a different approach and there are complaints from the other side. Chalk it up to offseason message board hive mind activity

hilib

Jul 13, 2006
I agree, but it's just a matter of critics being critical. Fans clamoured & complained back in the Gillis/AV era when all kids of PTO's appeared and none of our prospects ever got jobs. Now they take a different approach and there are complaints from the other side. Chalk it up to offseason message board hive mind activity

Same group of people who complain when they aren't getting any info from the team who now are critical of the wording he uses being blunt about why we wouldn't want a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad