Speculation: Gilbert Brule to vancouver (update: to phoenix training camp)

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
I have put speculation in front of this thread because two outside media sources (bob stauffer and the team radio out of Ottawa) talked about the tony Gallagher article from the province two days ago and both sources suggested that the article was laying the groundwork to have the Canucks sign brule to a cheap contract.

article

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...resurrection+Gilbert+Brule/8668967/story.html

for me this smells of either a player or a team trying to explain the problem the player has had and that these problems have been addressed. I like brule and think he will get another chance.

Brule is a high energy player who could handle 4th line minutes with some up swing. Should the canucks take a chance on him?

update*** Phoenix invited him to camp

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I would definitely take a gamble on him for the right price. He played well for the Coyotes a few years back and would be psyched to play in front of the very fans who used to worship him.

Expecting anything more than 10-15 goals and 30 points is a mistake, but he can still be a useful player in the right role.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't mind him at a cheap contract, see what he can do. He is still pretty young and I wouldn't mind him on the 3rd or 4th line center. Hopefully that trash he had to go through was effecting his play so then maybe that 6th overall really shows what he can do.

Cmon BRULE!!! make this deal a steal!!! :handclap:

EDIT: I would sign him 1 year 600k.

Last edited:

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
if he redeem what he was project to be......that would be great for us......we need a center that has skill and he has that for the bottom 6...He only 26

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Man, there really is a groundswell for this, hey?

Okay but, where does he fit in this lineup? Bottom 6 of:

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Santorelli-Richardson-Brule
(Weise/Sestito/Mallet/Archibald)

I mean, that's a helluva lot better than any bottom 6 I can remember us having . At the very least, it's on par with 2011 when that group was healthy.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm pretty okay with this.

Good AHL player for Utica at the worst and serviceable bottom 6 guy with skill at best.

Safe move.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I would definitely take a gamble on him for the right price. He played well for the Coyotes a few years back and would be psyched to play in front of the very fans who used to worship him.

Expecting anything more than 10-15 goals and 30 points is a mistake, but he can still be a useful player in the right role.

i thought i read somewhere that, in his draft year he said he wouldn't want to play in vancouver because of all the pressure and attention? i could be remembering wrong though.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He had some serious family issues, Looks like he is focused now. Sign him

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
As long as he signs a deal that gives us no cap-hit if we have to waive him, nothing to lose but a contract slot. If he's available I'd hope he'd get at least a TC invite.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'd be okay with signing Brule, but that article really is interesting:

“Naturally I’ve thought about Vancouver because I’m here, and I know they could use a centre,†said Brule. “The strange thing is that when my agent (Edmonton’s Gerry Johannson) talked to them before, when I was a free agent, they said no because of my father.

I agree that this has all the makings of a story where Gallagher is pumping up Brule in a way that makes him seem like a good player who had his career up to date ruined by outside influences. Some weird parallels to what we were hearing about Hodgson's dad and his influence in ending Cody's Canuck career...

Also, I know he's a local junior hero, but do we really want another junior stud who couldn't really make it in Edmonton? I know his game isn't atrocious like Cam Barker, but is Brule someone who is going to beat out all but one of Schroeder, Santorelli, Richardson, Lain, Horvat, and Gaunce? Not that those guys are 2011 Manny Malhotra by any means, but still. Oh, and regarding the last three names; weren't people freaking out about the Richardson/Santorelli signings because Gillis "*promised*" that the young guys could compete for the third line center position?

If nothing else, I'm glad that guys like Blum and Brule are being connected with the organization whether they end up here or not. We might not be able to draft out of the WHL worth ****, but at least players from the Giants consider the Canucks when given the freedom to choose an NHL destination.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's interesting - there are only two players from the WHL in the time I've followed it that I've been utterly mystified as to how they busted (Brule and Pavel Brendl) and this goes a long way toward explaining what happened with Brule. Everything about him at age 16-17 screamed that he'd be a Jeremy Roenick-type impact two-way center with a huge heart and a gritty streak.

I'd be fine with giving him a two-way deal and seeing what happens - he's always had a massive amount of talent and did almost put it together for the one year in Edmonton a few seasons back.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
It's not like the Canucks have any options to bring in a proven player. Seems like there would be no downside to the experiment in training camp, and maybe even a contract. It's not like he's going to be demanding a high salary.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
reclamination project. cbj ruined him... when they drafted him. should have at least spent time in the minors or 1 more year in the whl. he was a beast when he was a vancouver giant. then his career quickly became bad

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Wouldn't mind giving him a shot. If he turns his career around, we get a gritty player with skill in our bottom 6. If he remains the same, we get a skilled player for Utica to push and help the kids. Win-win situation.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I would like Brule to do well somewhere. He seemed like a sure thing, once.

The clamor, led by Gallagher (!) for a center is well founded, I think. The Canucks do not have a clear cut favorite to make the team at third or fourth line center. I know the team said they were going to develop players in the NHL but there must be more signings coming, right?

You could make up a team of guys that didn't achieve despite huge talent or potential. I don't think it's the kind of player you chase, though. If this is the criteria, I'd rather have Wellwood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad