Gila River Arena to close 4 seating sections for 2017/2018

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Reduces seating capacity to 15,869, ahead of only Barclay's Center and MTS Centre for NHL seating next season. Would expect the tarps to come off for Chicago, Detroit, and possibly Buffalo games.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Makes sense. Feel bad for the STH in those sections but the "capacity" will be closer to sold out.

Unless they give answers about the team staying, I fully expect bankruptcy capacities next season

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I fully expect bankruptcy capacities next season

This. Ever since Bettman and the ownership talked about leaving Glendale and perhaps AZ for good the attendance has been way down. If they don't have a solution soon next season is going to be really ugly. I wouldn't be surprised at 8k or 9k attendance.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This. Ever since Bettman and the ownership talked about leaving Glendale and perhaps AZ for good the attendance has been way down. If they don't have a solution soon next season is going to be really ugly. I wouldn't be surprised at 8k or 9k attendance.

While true, it also pretty well lines up with the deadline sell off and playing some of the worst teams in the league.

But yeah I don't expect next year to be happy times for the sales department.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
While true, it also pretty well lines up with the deadline sell off and playing some of the worst teams in the league.

But yeah I don't expect next year to be happy times for the sales department.

I was in conversations with a ticket broker and once the ownership team and Bettman came out publicly, I told the rep that I'm not interested and that my entertainment dollar was going elsewhere.

Ticket rep never bothered responding back to my email.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Create a false demand to raise ticket prices and lead to even lower attendance?? What could possibly go wrong?? Let tickets sell to whole building for what people are willing to pay and see if the lower prices can draw some people in and hook them with the game is a better plan imo.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Inb4 garbage talk about being patient and having faith. This isn't right and I'm at a loss for words right now.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I fail to see how this matters much. Basically they know they're not selling out so might as well remove a few sections so you can condense the fans that are there a little better. It's optics, the bottom line doesn't change but it looks better when there are less empty seats showing. As Feck already pointed out, those tarps will come off real quick whenever there's actual demand.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I fail to see how this matters much. Basically they know they're not selling out so might as well remove a few sections so you can condense the fans that are there a little better. It's optics, the bottom line doesn't change but it looks better when there are less empty seats showing. As Feck already pointed out, those tarps will come off real quick whenever there's actual demand.

It seems like a sound business decision but you wish the demand was there so they don't have to resort to these measures.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
It will be good for lower level STH's however.
Less chance of seat thieves.
I would hope the marketing answer to the problems though is to increase effort at getting more people in there, not reducing the capacity.
They may have finally given up on the hockey fans in the valley supporting the franchise in any way other than one or two times a year..
And after tonights Red Wings game its a valid view.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Worth it if you can push those people to buy lower seats.

I suppose we would need to see the breakdown of STH. At each price range, how many are sold and how many remain available. Also, what will the new ST price structure look like with the 4 sections closed.

It's possible some folks will be priced out if only higher priced seats are available.

I wonder if any sports franchise has ever tried permanent promos? Such as "this section is priced at $x, but if you upgrade to $y you get a free hot dog and Coke every game. Obviously the food would need to cost less than the ticket price increase.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I suppose we would need to see the breakdown of STH. At each price range, how many are sold and how many remain available. Also, what will the new ST price structure look like with the 4 sections closed.

It's possible some folks will be priced out if only higher priced seats are available.

I wonder if any sports franchise has ever tried permanent promos? Such as "this section is priced at $x, but if you upgrade to $y you get a free hot dog and Coke every game. Obviously the food would need to cost less than the ticket price increase.

Price is clearly, clearly not the limiting factor in this market, unless you want to market primarily to Glendale.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Price is clearly, clearly not the limiting factor in this market, unless you want to market primarily to Glendale.

Need to market more in Glendale since the East Valley sissies are afraid of a little traffic. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad