Gibson vs Vasilevski

Better goalie?

• Total voters

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok children, you still haven't dethroned The King when it comes to gifs.

We've got intense

2lvzqs0.jpg

We've got happy

source.gif

We've got shampoo commericals

tenor.gif

We've got nets flying

NoqjegE.gif

We've got f***ing smoothies

Hank.0.gif

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I will put Gibson on Vasilevskiy's tier when he has a great playoff run.

I see him on the same tier as Andersen/Hellebuyck but this regular season is solidifying him
lol yeah cause Gibson's team has the same roster quality.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Ducks with Vasileviski are still meh, but the Lightning with Gibson are downright insane

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Gibson was on Tampa Bay they would have won a cup. The Ducks are an absolute joke and somehow they are in first in their division. Our team defense is absolutely embarrassing and our offense is putrid.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
If Gibson was on Tampa Bay they would have won a cup. The Ducks are an absolute joke and somehow they are in first in their division. Our team defense is absolutely embarrassing and our offense is putrid.

lol Vasilevskiy has been the best player or at least top 3 on a loaded team every playoff series

Getzlaf has carried the Ducks in the playoffs. I've seen Gibson outdueled by Andersen and outplayed by Talbot

but #s do not lie, Gibson is the best goaltender this season

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
still I'm not taking any goalie over Vasilevskiy as top choice for a new team. I saw similar debates with Matt Murray and well yeah

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some of these posts make no sense.

Watch some Tampa games. He's not a product of them. You can also look at the stats. Their defense hasn't even been that good in recent years. They have a few high-end defensemen and their team is very good, but they've also iced some terrible defensemen like Sustr, Dotchin, etc. Their defensive core isn't that good. Maybe its close to top 5 now with McDonagh back to his best, but its not been that good prior to that. I think the Ducks defensive core in the time these two have been NHL goalies has been better than the Lightning's.

Both of these goalies are top five in the game. I'd rank them first and third in the NHL, so we aren't talking about a big difference here, but I still think Vasilevskiy has better talent and is more apt to stand on his head to win a game for his team.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Some of these posts make no sense.

Watch some Tampa games. He's not a product of them. You can also look at the stats. Their defense hasn't even been that good in recent years. They have a few high-end defensemen and their team is very good, but they've also iced some terrible defensemen like Sustr, Dotchin, etc. Their defensive core isn't that good. Maybe its close to top 5 now with McDonagh back to his best, but its not been that good prior to that. I think the Ducks defensive core in the time these two have been NHL goalies has been better than the Lightning's.

Both of these goalies are top five in the game. I'd rank them first and third in the NHL, so we aren't talking about a big difference here, but I still think Vasilevskiy has better talent and is more apt to stand on his head to win a game for his team.

Okay well in response to a claim of not having watched a certain goalie play, have you even watched Gibson play? Because the amount of games he's won in which he's had to stand on his head and basically win the game on his own are higher than the ones in which Anaheim played a balanced game where Gibson just needed to play competent hockey to earn the win. Including many games with 35+ shots against. Also important is the fact that Gibson faces almost if not the most high danger, in the slot shots against and still has some of the best numbers in the league.

He absolutely has proven himself as able to stand on his head and win a game for his team. He is the only reason Anaheim isn't in last place right now.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay well in response to a claim of not having watched a certain goalie play, have you even watched Gibson play? Because the amount of games he's won in which he's had to stand on his head and basically win the game on his own are higher than the ones in which Anaheim played a balanced game where Gibson just needed to play competent hockey to earn the win. Including many games with 35+ shots against. Also important is the fact that Gibson faces almost if not the most high danger, in the slot shots against and still has some of the best numbers in the league.

He absolutely has proven himself as able to stand on his head and win a game for his team. He is the only reason Anaheim isn't in last place right now.

No, I've never seen him play. I agree that Gibson having more work to do and playing slightly better 1/3 of the way through this season completely wipes away their previous seasons in the league.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No, I've never seen him play. I agree that Gibson having more work to do and playing slightly better 1/3 of the way through this season completely wipes away their previous seasons in the league.
Gibson has a higher career SV% average than all active goalies. What more do you need exactly? He was bailing out Anaheim last year too. Gibson being the only reason for Anaheim's success is not a new phenomena. If it weren't for his strong play last year, Anaheim certainly doesn't sniff the playoffs, and when they finally made it he got absolutely hung out to dry by a complete disaster of a team game. He had the second highest GSAA stat only behind the eventual Vezina winner.

And that's why the team in front of him is an important point. Even if we were to assume that Tampa's defense is just as bad as Anaheim's, which it's not, they are certainly a better offense and possession team. Which translates to less high danger opportunity that Vasi has to deal with. There's no doubting that Vasi is in that same elite tier as Gibson. I never tried to claim otherwise. But your implication that Gibson hasn't proven himself as a game stealing goalie while simultaneously bemoaning others not actually watching Vasi play is hypocritical. I mean at least you admitted to not watching Gibson play, but you really should if you want to make claims like that with any kind of authority.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
gibson easily. better stats. worse team. ducks would be last without him bailing them out each night.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gibson is the current best goalie in the NHL.

This very much.

I don't like the "because bad team" posts because I think that takes away from Vasi, but John Gibson carries the Ducks night in and night out and showed signs previously of laying claim to best goalie in the league. Imo, he's claimed that title this season thus far. That doesn't make Vasi bad by any stretch of the imagination, he's right up there too, but Gibson--at least a healthy Gibson--will be the best goalie in the league for a decade. It's not just his numbers--his play backs those up by the eye test as well, dude is an absolute monster.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Vas is awesome but Gibson is the first goalie I select in the entire NHL today if building a team from scratch. (And Vas would be close behind).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's a tough comparison because of their very different situations. The Ducks try to win every game 2-1, while the Lightning try to see if they can make one of the Tesla coils actually electrocute someone in the stands. Leads to just very different situations.

I like Vasi, but Gibson certainly isn't a wrong answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad