Confirmed with Link: Gibson re-signs with Anaheim (8 years/6.4m AAV)

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Crazy to read that Gibson never fully recovered from the injury he suffered in game 5. That injury was a lingering issue all last season. Would explain more on why they kept pulling him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
AAV is good, but 8 years on top of one more already is really long. Would feel much better about this if it wasn't so long (as I'm sure everyone else would). They better f***ing use Miller more this year though. If Gibson didn't get hurt, he probably gets at least 65 (probably more) starts last year. That's f***ing pathetic. We have arguably the top backup in the league. Gibby should be limited to 55 games a year tops IMO with his injury history and proneness.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I like the money and the term because they have to put their faith in someone. I think with Gibby you'll always need a very good #2 because he will get hurt at least once a year.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
AAV is good, but 8 years on top of one more already is really long. Would feel much better about this if it wasn't so long (as I'm sure everyone else would). They better ****ing use Miller more this year though. If Gibson didn't get hurt, he probably gets at least 65 (probably more) starts last year. That's ****ing pathetic. We have arguably the top backup in the league. Gibby should be limited to 55 games a year tops IMO with his injury history and proneness.
He’s 25. This deal takes him to 34, or in other words the age Jonathan Quick and MAF currently are. Those 2 are still at worst above average goalies. So we get all his prime years and MAYBE 2-3 average ones or slightly above average

Granted, those two don’t have the injury histories but age wise this is not bad at all

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He’s 25. This deal takes him to 34, or in other words the age Jonathan Quick and MAF currently are. Those 2 are still at worst above average goalies. So we get all his prime years and MAYBE 2-3 average ones or slightly above average

Granted, those two don’t have the injury histories but age wise this is not bad at all

Let's also keep his "injury history" in perspective. He's 14th in games played over the past two seasons combined. Even if he continues having a tweak every now and then, that's a very solid workload, and trending upward. If he had a couple major groin/knee/head injuries, there'd be much bigger cause for concern.

Reactions: AngelDuck

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We just paid our best player from last season 6 mil

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Let's also keep his "injury history" in perspective. He's 14th in games played over the past two seasons combined. Even if he continues having a tweak every now and then, that's a very solid workload, and trending upward. If he had a couple major groin/knee/head injuries, there'd be much bigger cause for concern.

What I'm most relieved about in regards to his health is that his groin was seemingly his biggest issue injury wise, and his lateral movement when he was first breaking in was awful. Last season he was much more explosive, which tells me it finally healed properly.

*knocks on wood*

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Quick is 34?? When did that happen? I assumed he was similar age to Kopitar.

And yeah unlike for skaters, 34 for a goalie is not old barring them having significant injury issues. At the end of the day Gibson is top 5 at his position, to get him for just over $6M is reasonable even though there is some risk.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

It’s not the age, it’s signing a guy who’s had consistent injury issues that appear to be of the nagging variety. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a bad deal. Just makes me nervous to have Gibby signed for the next 9 years with some of the issues he’s had.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Quick is 34?? When did that happen? I assumed he was similar age to Kopitar.

And yeah unlike for skaters, 34 for a goalie is not old barring them having significant injury issues. At the end of the day Gibson is top 5 at his position, to get him for just over $6M is reasonable even though there is some risk.
Just checked and you’re right Quick is going to be 33 this season not 34. But he’s still pretty productive and can probably maintain it for a couple more years

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It’s not the age, it’s signing a guy who’s had consistent injury issues that appear to be of the nagging variety. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a bad deal. Just makes me nervous to have Gibby signed for the next 9 years with some of the issues he’s had.
Ok the alternative to this contract was to trade him or let him walk for nothing. We don’t have anyone to take over the reigns anytime soon though. Gibson wanted security and he deserved it. What exactly was the alternative? This isn’t Carey Price expensive

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Just checked and you’re right Quick is going to be 33 this season not 34. But he’s still pretty productive and can probably maintain it for a couple more years

Still thought he was like 30 though haha.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'd rather take the 'gamble' of Gibson at a solid AAV for 8 years then re-sign him for say 4-5 years then he's potentially worth a 8m+ AAV when he's a pending UFA.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
way too long of a contract for an injury prone GT.

That being said, in todays market not a bad deal and probably had to go with the term vs higher AAV for a shorter contract.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
8 years is a lot for a goaltender, period. I don't think you can get around that. It's a volatile position, and even getting more than 3-4 high level years in a row from a goaltender can be difficult. I think you can probably argue that every which way, but that's a pretty common theme for goaltenders. Even ones who are, at one point, top 3-5 in the game.

But still... as others have said, if you're going to take a risk on a guy, I think this is the way to do it. Gibson is a talent worth the risk, both in terms of current ability and future potential, and he's being signed at an age where you're locking him up for all of his best years. I think this is a good contract that has a greater potential to be a terrific contract than a mistake.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Ok the alternative to this contract was to trade him or let him walk for nothing. We don’t have anyone to take over the reigns anytime soon though. Gibson wanted security and he deserved it. What exactly was the alternative? This isn’t Carey Price expensive

I wasn't saying the contract was a mistake, or even bad. Just echoing what many others have said in that it's risky because of injury history.

As far as the alternatives, we really don't know since we're not part of the discussions. The only obvious ones are sign him to a lower term deal (for more money annually) or wait and see if he replicates the success he had from last season before signing him to an extension. There were risks involved with all options. I completely understand why Murray went this route though. Again, just echoing how it's risky to give this guy 8 years with his injury history.

Oct 18, 2011
If you don't do this and he has another year like last year you won't be able to afford him at all

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Seems like a good time to bump this thread. With Vasilevskiy's contract (8 x $9.5 through age 33) and the Bobrovsky contract which is brutal (7 x $10M through age 37), Gibson's deal almost certainly will be an amazing contract. I wonder what Gibson is thinking today knowing he left $10M+ on the table?

I've been plenty critical of BM, but I'll give credit when credit is due. This is a good deal for the ducks, even if you don't love the term for a goalie.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
For Gibson tgere is a greater chance of getting injured, compared to those two.

I will still take Gibby and his contract above those two though :)

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I'd still argue that Gibson is the better goalie. His counting stats suck because of the sheer number of shots and goals he's given up. But some of the saves were the very high quality variety where he had to face numerous breakaways and defensive breakdowns.

Reactions: Vipers31

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'd still argue that Gibson is the better goalie. His counting stats suck because of the sheer number of shots and goals he's given up. But some of the saves were the very high quality variety where he had to face numerous breakaways and defensive breakdowns.

From Wyshynski ESPN commenting on Vasiilevsky's deal today:

"Anaheim Ducks goalie John Gibson, who is arguably better than Vasilevskiy, is signed to a $6.4 million AAV through 2027, making this perhaps the best contract in the NHL at the moment, considering he's just 26."

Reactions: Hank84

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Yup. I got the notification on that Vasilevsky signing and immediately gagged. They're killing their future with such an expensive contract.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
A lot of things went right for us with Gibby's contract. We were bad enough to deflate his conventional numbers, and had the Jets lay out a superficial comparable with Helle, despite Gibson underlyingly being the better goalie. And, tbf, Murray's often good with contracts that have some RFA years in them.

We can consider ourselves really lucky with that deal. To think back of the days people wanted to keep Freddy over him... and that's with all due respect to Freddy.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I get why Vasilevsky got more, he has hardware that Gibson has yet to win but even if you think he’s better (I think it’s awfully close personally) he’s never in a million years $3M better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad