Giancarlo Stanton Trade Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Astros were after him a couple of years ago but apparently the Marlins asked for Correa(when he was still in the minors) and Springer. Possibly more but Luhnow said no deal. Last month, Crane said they discussed the possibility of going after him. Said they're one of the few teams that could afford his contract. A couple of days ago, their was a report that said the Astros and Marlins had talks but couldn't agree on the pieces. With that said, if they were to talk again, what would the Astros have to give up? One of Whitley or Tucker for sure. I think Tucker would be involved since the Astros will have Stanton,Springer, and Reddick in the outfield. What else? Would the Marlins demand Whitley over Tucker? Or would they demand both?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Astros were after him a couple of years ago but apparently the Marlins asked for Correa(when he was still in the minors) and Springer. Possibly more but Luhnow said no deal. Last month, Crane said they discussed the possibility of going after him. Said they're one of the few teams that could afford his contract. A couple of days ago, their was a report that said the Astros and Marlins had talks but couldn't agree on the pieces. With that said, if they were to talk again, what would the Astros have to give up? One of Whitley or Tucker for sure. I think Tucker would be involved since the Astros will have Stanton,Springer, and Reddick in the outfield. What else? Would the Marlins demand Whitley over Tucker? Or would they demand both?
I really don't think the Astros need him. Sure it would create some headlines and sell a lot of jerseys but I don't think it would make sense for them.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

I'm not sure I see why the Yankees would go for this. They are obviously going after Harper/Machado in free agency which would only cost them money. I guess if they can get Stanton without giving up much in terms of talent then it might make sense, but then you're attaching yourself to a guy who is going to be making insane money until he's 38 where as with Harper I doubt he signs a 15 year contract so you're minimizing risk there. Either way I want no part of Judge and Stanton in the same lineup. f*** that noise.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

It's an impossible question to answer without discussing the financial component of it. If Houston took on the full contract - or close to it - my guess is they can probably get him without surrendering Tucker or Whitley.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ellsbury Lol.

Haha, what a shrewd cost saving move for the marlins there!

Obviously it wouldn't happen at all but Ellsbury has a full NTC and just shy of $70 million left on his contract. 3 years at $21 million and change and then a $5 million buyout in 2021.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Haha, what a shrewd cost saving move for the marlins there!

Obviously it wouldn't happen at all but Ellsbury has a full NTC and just shy of $70 million left on his contract. 3 years at $21 million and change and then a $5 million buyout in 2021.
I don't see how the Marlins would get a guy like Frazier without that imo.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm not sure I see why the Yankees would go for this. They are obviously going after Harper/Machado in free agency which would only cost them money. I guess if they can get Stanton without giving up much in terms of talent then it might make sense, but then you're attaching yourself to a guy who is going to be making insane money until he's 38 where as with Harper I doubt he signs a 15 year contract so you're minimizing risk there. Either way I want no part of Judge and Stanton in the same lineup. **** that noise.

If Pujols got a 10 year deal at 32, there is no reason Harper can't get 15 years at age 26. And we are talking about the Yankees, if they nab Stanton now and have the chance to sign Machado/Harper/Both next year.... I would not rule out the possibility. Hal doesn't like to spend as much as his father did but how could you say no? You'd have the best lineup in baseball. And an outfield that teams would forfeit against.

apparently olney's imaginary trade has the yankees giving up absolutely nothing for stanton. you'd think they'd include greg bird or something.

At the same time, they are likely to absorb the whole contract. This is pretty much the A-Rod trade from 2004 except the Marlins may not even get a player as good as Soriano back.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't see how the Marlins would get a guy like Frazier without that imo.

OK, well $70 million that comes with a not very good player that is only getting worse means that NYY would have to take all of Stanton's salary otherwise their offer wouldn't be close to what other teams have put forth. Yeah, if you're gonna include top prospects then that changes it. As has already been mentioned, it's a balance between money and talent. Making the Marlins take Ellsbury off the Yankees hands is substantial so I think a lot would have to be coming back if that's the case.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Pujols got a 10 year deal at 32, there is no reason Harper can't get 15 years at age 26. And we are talking about the Yankees, if they nab Stanton now and have the chance to sign Machado/Harper/Both next year.... I would not rule out the possibility. Hal doesn't like to spend as much as his father did but how could you say no? You'd have the best lineup in baseball. And an outfield that teams would forfeit against.

The Pujols contract was stupid and idiotic.

At the same age, Pujols was ahead of Harper. While I think Harper is still going to get a ridiculous contract, I think people tend to overhype him. We'll have to wait and see if he has the year-to-year consistency.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
OK, well $70 million that comes with a not very good player that is only getting worse means that NYY would have to take all of Stanton's salary otherwise their offer wouldn't be close to what other teams have put forth. Yeah, if you're gonna include top prospects then that changes it. As has already been mentioned, it's a balance between money and talent. Making the Marlins take Ellsbury off the Yankees hands is substantial so I think a lot would have to be coming back if that's the case.
Yeah, the idea I had was Ellsbury and Frazier for Stanton with no retention from either side.

I don't believe Ellsbury is as bad as he's made out to be. The main reason why he wasn't starting is because of the embarrassment of riches the Yankees have in the outfield.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, the idea I had was Ellsbury and Frazier for Stanton with no retention from either side.

I don't believe Ellsbury is as bad as he's made out to be. The main reason why he wasn't starting is because of the embarrassment of riches the Yankees have in the outfield.

I mean he's not an awful player but he's not very good anymore and he's super expensive. If you put him on waivers I don't there'd be a single team that would take him for free so he has negative value for sure. $70 million is a lot to take back so yeah, the talent coming back has to be pretty damn good.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What I get from this news is that he'll either be a Dodger or a Marlin next year.

If anything, I could see Stanton finally agreeing to a trade to wherever, knowing that the team he's going to will make other moves, and if he doesn't like it, he can always use his opt-out clause to then pick his next team. I don't see anyway he stays knowing that the Marlins would just ship everyone else out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Marlins are NOT taking Ellsbury or any similar contract. Their main goal is to deplete the payroll obligations previous ownership burdened them with.

It's gonna be Stanton for a package like C.Frazier and Betances if it were to happen, IMO. Which is very underwhelming for the league MVP in his prime, but that's what it takes to move 300,000,000 dollars of payroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad