Speculation: Getzlaf to Pittsburgh?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't see the Pens trading for Getzlaf AND Carter. As good as Getzlaf is, adding two 35+ year old centers at the deadline would be a strange move.

Because this team doesn't do strange? :naughty:

Main reason I can't see it happening is cap.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Because this team doesn't do strange? :naughty:

Main reason I can't see it happening is cap.

That too. Honestly I think Deslauriers for someone like Riikola would be a more realistic Pens-Ducks trade. Acquiring Carter and a "truculent" player is like the archetypal Hextall/Burke deadline.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That too. Honestly I think Deslauriers for someone like Riikola would be a more realistic Pens-Ducks trade. Acquiring Carter and a "truculent" player is like the archetypal Hextall/Burke deadline.

It might be possible with some cap shenanigans. I know they've told the press all the LTIR players will be back prior to the playoffs, but I'm wondering...

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
As much as I would absolutely love for this to happen...

1.) Lack of cap space (when Geno returns we have pretty much zero again)

2.) Lack of assets to trade for Getz (likely gave them up for Carter as our back up option)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As much as I would absolutely love for this to happen...

1.) Lack of cap space (when Geno returns we have pretty much zero again)

2.) Lack of assets to trade for Getz (likely gave them up for Carter as our back up option)
I just can’t see him waiving to Pitt either.... Vegas and Colorado sure.... anyone else not likely

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
All baseless speculation. Getzlaf said he had zero desire to leave and chase a Cup and that was before the pandemic. During this crap he's not going to pack up and leave his family for months, in order to chase a trophy he's already won. Not sure why people won't let this go when Getzlaf himself has already completely shot it down.

Reactions: Rec T and dracom

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
All baseless speculation. Getzlaf said he had zero desire to leave and chase a Cup and that was before the pandemic. During this crap he's not going to pack up and leave his family for months, in order to chase a trophy he's already won. Not sure why people won't let this go when Getzlaf himself has already completely shot it down.

And to add to that, the Ducks GM has repeatedly said that 'he' is not going to Getz to ask if he wants to chase The Cup one more time (with the assumption that he'd resign in Anaheim over the summer), Getz has to come to him. He'll be polite & take the other GM's phone calls, but unless it's some stupid 'too good to be true' offer (McDavid for Getz...), that offer probably isn't leaving his office.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
would somewhat tarnish getzlafs legacy IMO. he already has a cup, he doesn't need to chase glory. he's going to be one of the all time Ducks greats. would dent an otherwise very noble career with one franchise through thick and thin. is a highly unlikely shot at a cup worth it for ~20 games as a penguin worth it? I don't think so
I just never understand this line of thinking. Loyalty is great and all, and winning one Cup is great, but I'm of the opinion that two are better than one and I sure hope someone who is a proclaimed winner and leader doesn't think I got mine and that's enough. And if a playoff push can hurt my legacy with one team then that legacy was built on poor foundations, to begin with.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I just never understand this line of thinking. Loyalty is great and all, and winning one Cup is great, but I'm of the opinion that two are better than one and I sure hope someone who is a proclaimed winner and leader doesn't think I got mine and that's enough. And if a playoff push can hurt my legacy with one team then that legacy was built on poor foundations, to begin with.

In a vacuum sure. In this case though he's stated many times that he'd like to retire with only having played his whole career with one organization. Add to that he married a southern Calif. woman & has put down deep family roots there. Pretty much it seems he's decided that he has nothing else he wants to prove to himself/others.

If he had played for/came from a different organization I could easily see him wanting the excitement/fun of another run at The Cup. But now, with the end of the line well within sight, that whole 'one organization' thing seems to mean a lot for him (& is fairly rare in the NHL).

As Ray said to Terry in Field of Dreams: "The man's done enough, leave him alone..." (of course right after saying that they both went on a big journey for a huge prize so that may not be the best quote to toss out there...)

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com

Jeff Carter also once said he'd rather retire than play for any other team than LA. Now look at him. He's gonna finish his career in Pittsburgh.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Jeff Carter also once said he'd rather retire than play for any other team than LA. Now look at him. He's gonna finish his career in Pittsburgh.

Very different circumstances. Carter didn't spend his whole career in LA, marry a local girl and have several kids there. Also Carter had no ability to block a trade, so his choice was to either accept or retire. Getzlaf has the right to say he's staying.

Getzlaf just built a chicken coop, if he moves across the country who is going to care for the chickens? Honestly I think some of you aren't even thinking of the chickens at all.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
With Carter now added, I hope we don't go after Getzlaf to be honest. Play the younger kids that have had a huge impact so far this season

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Getzlaf just built a chicken coop, if he moves across the country who is going to care for the chickens? Honestly I think some of you aren't even thinking of the chickens at all.

Ah, that explains it. He must have seen that 'Fresh, organic eggs are nature's Rogaine' study that came out a while ago...

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Colorado should be after Getzlaf.

The only reason why Getzlaf “may” consider going to Pittsburg would have to be the Burke connection. Anaheim got its cup under Brian Burke. Burke made some big moves to get Perry and Getzlaf some help with the Pronger trade and bringing in Scotty Nieds. I’m not entirely sure how close they are. But that’s the only reason I think he would consider it. I dont see him going to Colorado at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad