Speculation: Getzlaf to Pittsburgh?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

In Pittsburgh, Hextall and team president Brian Burke are said to now be focusing their interests on Anaheim’s Ryan Getzlaf. Allegedly, Burke, who was the Ducks GM when they won the 2007 Stanley Cup, is waiting to see if his former center will waive his No Movement Clause to come to the Penguins. Even if the 35-year-old center agrees to play for the Penguins over the final month of the season and through the playoffs, he’s on an expiring contract and could return to Anaheim in just a few months.

TRADE ALERT: LA Kings Send Jeff Carter to the Pittsburgh Penguins

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t doubt any of that. Ultimately it comes down to whether Getzlaf will waive. We haven’t heard anything that would suggest he’s willing.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
it'd be awesome to see getzlaf win another cup, but at this point i'd be pretty surprised if he left anaheim

seems like he's content with finishing off his career here

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Colorado should be after Getzlaf.
36D56614-B5A6-4CBE-AEED-79F30231D257.jpeg

From Dater.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I always thought Getzlaf would be a natural fit in Vegas. They're a bit weaker at C than most of the other contenders, and Vegas is probably geographically the closest playoff team to Anaheim. But Colorado would make sense too if not Vegas (location) or Pittsburgh (Burke)

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
From Getzlaf's perspective he is an UFA, should want another cup after all these years, Avs looks like the favourites together with Tampa and he can go back to California and sign with Anaheim again in a few months.

From Colorado's perspective they would get an amazing hockey talent, leader, cup experience and even more depth at C and would slot in amazingly on their PP.

Makes too much sense too me for it not to happen.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
would somewhat tarnish getzlafs legacy IMO. he already has a cup, he doesn't need to chase glory. he's going to be one of the all time Ducks greats. would dent an otherwise very noble career with one franchise through thick and thin. is a highly unlikely shot at a cup worth it for ~20 games as a penguin worth it? I don't think so

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
would somewhat tarnish getzlafs legacy IMO. he already has a cup, he doesn't need to chase glory. he's going to be one of the all time Ducks greats. would dent an otherwise very noble career with one franchise through thick and thin. is a highly unlikely shot at a cup worth it for ~20 games as a penguin worth it? I don't think so

Two words: Ray Bourque

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ray Bourque didn't win a Cup until he got to Colorado, that's the point. Getzlaf already has one, and has for almost 15 years.

I guess that's for him to decide. His legacy in Anaheim is in no way damaged if he wants a shot at another Cup. I'd actually respect him more for still having the competitive fire to take one last shot at it.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I do agree, but Bourque never won a cup in Boston. Getzlaf has a cup with Anaheim.

As noted above, Getzlaf strikes me as a competitive guy who would jump at one last chance. Resting on his laurels from 14 years ago doesn't seem like his style.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
As noted above, Getzlaf strikes me as a competitive guy who would jump at one last chance. Resting on his laurels from 14 years ago doesn't seem like his style.
I’d be fine with him. I just don’t think he’ll leave. He was a beauty in his prime, he did it all. I have no doubt he would help us in the playoffs with his experience and toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad