Getzlaf/Perry rentals?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I remember that year just fine thanks, and Perry was the league MVP, I am well aware of Getzlafs history, but Perry has been better for 2 years

And Getzlaf was better the three years prior. None of that really explains why Perry deserves whatever we give him, but Getzlaf doesn't. Like Elvstrand, I expect them to get similar amounts, but Getzlaf has been the better player over the course of their contracts. I just don't see why you'd be willing to give 7 mil to Perry, but not Getzlaf. You can bet that if Anaheim doesn't give it to him, some other team will, and while losing Perry would hurt, it wouldn't hurt as badly as losing Getzlaf.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So were ticket prices. I'm not sure I get your point.

In 2006-07, average NHL ticket price was 43.13 (cap 44M). The Ducks average ticket price was 40.65.
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2007/10/Issue-21/The-Back-Of-The-Book/NHL-Average-Ticket-Prices-Up-77-To-$4872.aspx?

The average NHL ticket price 2011-12 was 57.39 (cap 64.3M). The Ducks average ticket price was 45.68.
http://www.fancostexperience.com/pages/fcx/fci_pdfs/6.pdf

Ducks prices went up 12% and the cap went up 46%. Factor in the attendance differences and the team is seriously into the red ink.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
In 2006-07, average NHL ticket price was 43.13 (cap 44M). The Ducks average ticket price was 40.65.
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2007/10/Issue-21/The-Back-Of-The-Book/NHL-Average-Ticket-Prices-Up-77-To-$4872.aspx?

The average NHL ticket price 2011-12 was 57.39 (cap 64.3M). The Ducks average ticket price was 45.68.
http://www.fancostexperience.com/pages/fcx/fci_pdfs/6.pdf

Ducks prices went up 12% and the cap went up 46%. Factor in the attendance differences and the team is seriously into the red ink.

I don't doubt the team is having tough times financially. I've never thought otherwise. I was just pointing out that Samuelli has spent money when it made sense. If it doesn't make sense to try and keep two of the very best players in the league (with the team having a lot of cap space) then it is a sign that Henry is shifting gears and taking the Charles Wang approach.

I think he will make both guys very respectable offers. He's never taken the Charles Wang approach before, and I don't expect he will now. But as I said before, it's still no guarantee that he will keep either or both. I just believe they both will be made very good offers. Good enough? Well, that's the former $100 million question. ;)

jax00

DangleSnipe&Celly
Mar 3, 2007
Anaslime
I'm really not too worried about it. Murray has to know his legacy will be ****ed royally if he let either one walk.

I also suspect one of the reasons Murray/Samueli was so stingy in free agency this year was so that he had some wiggle room for the twin's contracts.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The Ducks are actually in a fantastic position cap-wise. They only have 32.8M in committed cap space for next year, with the league wanting the cap at 60M. That's space for Getzlaf/Perry, trade space for teams who will be over the cap, as well as space for everyone else's UFA's.

Just don't screw it up and it could be an instant turnaround.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
A few thoughts. One, I don't think we will buy anyone out. As others have pointed out, there is a lot of cap space compared to other teams. And the budget has always been set below the cap max anyways. So a buyout won't be necessary. But if they do decide to buy someone out anyways, it won't be helpful in terms of fitting in more salary. I'm pretty sure that the buyout dollars would count toward the internal budget. Because that's the point of a budget in the first place, to control dollars spent.

Two, the way I see it with the budget and Samueli, I think that he seems flexible on budget occasionally when it involves "his guys." Basically the few guys who they feel loyal to fit some reason. I'm thinking specifically of Niedermayer and Selanne. Burke was allowed to go significantly over budget to keep those two in the fold in 2007. But if you subtract the salaries of those two, then they actually held pretty close to the budget. My interpretation is that Burke was allowed to build his team to the budget, then when those two decided to come back, Burke was given the green light to spend over the budget to stay loyal to them. So if they decide that Getzlaf and Perry are worth that kind of loyalty, then I think the GM would be allowed to spend too keep them.

Three, and I keep coming back to this, but if push came to shove I still think that Ryan would be moved and Perry kept. Assuming he wants to stay if course. It just seems that all this time the team seems to favor those two over Ryan for whatever reason.

Oct 18, 2011
And Getzlaf was better the three years prior. None of that really explains why Perry deserves whatever we give him, but Getzlaf doesn't. Like Elvstrand, I expect them to get similar amounts, but Getzlaf has been the better player over the course of their contracts. I just don't see why you'd be willing to give 7 mil to Perry, but not Getzlaf. You can bet that if Anaheim doesn't give it to him, some other team will, and while losing Perry would hurt, it wouldn't hurt as badly as losing Getzlaf.
I think it's pretty reasonable to say Getzlaf needs a bounceback season. what happened several years ago wont matter if Getzlaf has another subpar season.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think it's pretty reasonable to say Getzlaf needs a bounceback season. what happened several years ago wont matter if Getzlaf has another subpar season.

Not necessarily. A player's salary isn't based strictly on what he did the previous season. Sure, it plays a role, but four straight seasons where he produced over a point per game makes a much stronger argument than his single subpar one. Based on Getzlaf's previous production, this last season would be an anomaly. We're talking about, what? 300 games or so since becoming the #1 center on the team? Compared to the 82 he played this last season. It's not tough to see which Getzlaf is the real Getzlaf.

Not to mention, it will be kind of tough for him to have a bounce back season, if there is no season. By the time Getzlaf is in a position to bounce back, he may well already be signed.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
My biggest fear is that we end up with half a season and Getz produces poorly again. (Not totally unlikely given his off season work ethic and the long delay to the season start we hope to have.) How much should 1/2 season mean? But if it is a continuation of his prior poor year then do we says it shows a bad trend? I don't know the answer, but I know it will be a bad position for the Ducks to be in.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
New contracts or trades.

Getzlaf gets a new contract. Perry has to decide if he's willing to go to another bottom feeder for money, because nobody else can sign him for what the Ducks can with the cap at 64.3M next year. He's a high value rental if he won't commit.

Corey Perry*

Let's trade Getzlaf to Buffalo for Myers and Grigorenko, and then trade Perry to Philadelphia for Sutter and Despres, and then tank and get Mackinnon (the new draft systems starts next year, right?), and then go out and sign Getzlaf and Perry during the offseason.

:lol: Just kiddin'.

Just for fun (for next year):
Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Grigorenko-Mackinnon-Palmieri
Holland-Sutter-Smith-Pelly
Beleskey-Bonino-Cogliano

Beauchemin-Fowler
Sbisa-Myers
Allen-Souray
Lindholm

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Getzlaf gets a new contract. Perry has to decide if he's willing to go to another bottom feeder for money, because nobody else can sign him for what the Ducks can with the cap at 64.3M next year. He's a high value rental if he won't commit.

What if he goes for less money but to a better team?

The Ducks pay up

Getz 8M/8Y
Perry 7M/8Y

or prepare for trades and bottom feeding.

If they are both resigned by Ducks, i cant see Getz getting any more than Perry

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm torn. Part of me thinks we should rebuild right now so in 3-5 years we have a Cup team, but part of me wants to re-sign Getzlaf and Perry, then make a big trade, and win now. Murray will probably do neither...which will piss me off

Nab77

Aug 29, 2004
Getzlaf won't be getting more than Perry. If anything it will be equal.

Well, centers get paid better than wingers, but if they're a package like Suter/Parise then yes same deals of course.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't see us as a team that's one trade away from winning now. There's no telling how ready the two young d-men will be. Who knows whether there's any significant decline with the vets, either from injury or age.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
There's no reason to rebuild, because they're a building team. Getz and Perry are just now moving in to their primes, Hiller, too. To contend NOW, we'd have to add a lot. To contend in 3 years, there's less work to be done, because we've got plenty coming. The team is coming along, but slowly.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
What if he goes for less money but to a better team?

If they are both resigned by Ducks, i cant see Getz getting any more than Perry

The list of good teams with cap space is very short. And with his injury history he'd be an idiot to take a short term deal. So is he willing to take a 5M 7 year deal as opposed to an 8 year 7M deal? That's 21M left on the table for a guy who already has a cup.

Nab77

Aug 29, 2004
The list of good teams with cap space is very short. And with his injury history he'd be an idiot to take a short term deal. So is he willing to take a 5M 7 year deal as opposed to an 8 year 7M deal? That's 21M left on the table for a guy who already has a cup.

On that same note, if Burke throws him 9M a season would he stay here for 7M.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
On that same note, if Burke throws him 9M a season would he stay here for 7M.

Toronto has 7 forwards and 4 defensemen signed for next year with a cap hit of 41.5M (39.7 if bonuses no longer count. Kadri, Gunnarson and Holzer as RFA. Perry at 9M leaves 14M to sign 4 forwards and 2 Defensemen including those free agents, still having no real 1C. I don't see it happening.

Nab77

Aug 29, 2004
Toronto has 7 forwards and 4 defensemen signed for next year with a cap hit of 41.5M (39.7 if bonuses no longer count. Kadri, Gunnarson and Holzer as RFA. Perry at 9M leaves 14M to sign 4 forwards and 2 Defensemen including those free agents, still having no real 1C. I don't see it happening.

I meant Getzlaf, the elusive big number 1C they've been searching for since Sundin left. Their RFA's will cost max 5M combined + he can always buy out Komisarek. He's got the room if wants to do it and for Getz I think he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad