Getzlaf/Perry rentals?

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
So the way I see it, the only ways we keep both of these guys is if one or both give some sort of discount, or suddenly Samueli lets BM spend some serious money. I have almost zero faith that either of these things happens. So what are the options?

One of them is of course, if the season is salvaged to an extent, to trade them away as rentals. Not sure if anyone is going to be serious about a half season playoff run, but one of these guys can get the Ducks some good veteran defense or some quality prospects and draft picks.

Is it crazy to consider this?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Only if they give an indication behind closed doors that they have no intention of re-signing.

And if they are traded, no way to veteran players? Would have to be the start of a rebuild, prospects/picks

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
By veteran D, I don't mean old. I'd consider Perry and Getzlaf vets. By veteran D I more mean a proven top two. But I agree, I'd rather have building blocks for the future.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
We won't get proven top two defensemen for them. We would get something like Hossa and Kovalchuk returned.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I don't mean old either, but those are the veterans we have, which I think complement our youth well (for 2-3 more years). I don't think we'll get top two vet D either. Trading either of the two would be very risky in a sense we could end up with Kovalchuk deal type pieces (i.e. crap).

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We won't get proven top two defensemen for them. We would get something like Hossa and Kovalchuk returned.

Half season contract vs carrer comntract?

Since i don`t believe in season this year, i doubt it happens, but i do hope we get some advantage in signing thm whenever the NHL do come back

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Half season contract vs carrer comntract?

Since i don`t believe in season this year, i doubt it happens, but i do hope we get some advantage in signing thm whenever the NHL do come back

We have a huge advantage in that the cap WILL be coming down due to both the nhl demands and the HRR damage this lockout will cause, and the ludicrous amount of cap space we have vs all the teams that spent to the 70M cap. The other teams with cap space also (for the most part) are not contenders. I'm not sure either really wants the pressure cooker of playing in Toronto or for Carlyle.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm not worried about Getzlaf. Something really bad would have to happen for him to leave imo. Perry's definitely less of a sure thing but I still believe he'll resign with the Ducks.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If the cap goes down to $60 mil, there won't be many teams who could throw a whole lot of money on them anyways.

The Ducks currently have a little under $32.8 mil tied against the cap for the 13/14 season. The club will likely use the free buyout on someone with a big contract, Cogliano shouldn't be impossible to trade if the cap space is needed and Lydman, Koivu, Selanne will all be gone or see their salaries drop.

Keeping Getzlaf and Perry shouldn't be a problem, especially with some young guys on the team. The depth could be a problem though, and down the line one of the big three will probably have to go (when/if the likes of Palmieri and Holland proves worthy of some cash).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
I don't think Samuelli will have a problem paying them especially with a cap that's going to be lower, salaries will be adjusted. and I think Perry and Getzlaf would take slightly less to stay together. In the end I expect them to get 7 year deals if infact the new cba caps contracts at 7, and for 6-7 million dollars per year for each. i have no reservations about giving that money to Perry, Getzy needs a bounceback year however.

justheducks

Feb 10, 2009
OC, California
www.myspace.com
I am hoping for a season just for the simple fact that we need to trade Perry.
Rumor has it that he turned down a 9 year deal at the end of last season.
Doesn't look like he wants to play here as long as Murray is at the helm.
First move I would like to see when we start again is bringing in a bigger GM name.
Getzlaf stays in my opinion.

What do you guys think we should get for Pears if we traded him?
I would think a top 6 center/wings, 1 rounder and a mid level prospect.

Contract wise I think we should give them both a 7 years $50 dollar deal.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't think Samuelli will have a problem paying them especially with a cap that's going to be lower, salaries will be adjusted. and I think Perry and Getzlaf would take slightly less to stay together. In the end I expect them to get 7 year deals if infact the new cba caps contracts at 7, and for 6-7 million dollars per year for each. i have no reservations about giving that money to Perry, Getzy needs a bounceback year however.

Getzlaf is more deserving of that money than Perry is. Perry has had the best year between the two, but Getzlaf has consistency, and four straight PPG+ seasons under his belt. If Anaheim tries to penny pinch with Getzlaf, based on just that one subpar season, we might very well lose him.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I am hoping for a season just for the simple fact that we need to trade Perry.
Rumor has it that he turned down a 9 year deal at the end of last season.
Doesn't look like he wants to play here as long as Murray is at the helm.
First move I would like to see when we start again is bringing in a bigger GM name.
Getzlaf stays in my opinion.

What do you guys think we should get for Pears if we traded him?
I would think a top 6 center/wings, 1 rounder and a mid level prospect.

Contract wise I think we should give them both a 7 years $50 dollar deal.

You're making some pretty big assumptions here based on a rumor.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
yeah I am. But what the heck else are we suppose to do right now? lol

Well, personally, I'm not prepared to say we need to trade Perry. To begin with, I find it pretty unlikely that Anaheim even made a 9-year offer. Anaheim has been pretty consistent with the types of contracts they are willing to hand out, and a 9 year contract is well outside the norm for them. With that in doubt, the rest of your assumption kind of goes out the window, because there just isn't enough information.

Oct 18, 2011
Getzlaf is more deserving of that money than Perry is. Perry has had the best year between the two, but Getzlaf has consistency, and four straight PPG+ seasons under his belt. If Anaheim tries to penny pinch with Getzlaf, based on just that one subpar season, we might very well lose him.
Well, Perry has been the better player the last 2 seasons, Getzlaf needs to erase the memory of last year

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Well, Perry has been the better player the last 2 seasons, Getzlaf needs to erase the memory of last year

You might want to remember that Getzlaf had a great deal to do with Perry's Hart-winning season. It wasn't until he returned that Perry exploded.

Let's not selectively remember the bad over the good here. Four straight seasons of over a PPG play puts Getzlaf into an elite category. One bad season doesn't erase that.

Oct 18, 2011
You might want to remember that Getzlaf had a great deal to do with Perry's Hart-winning season. It wasn't until he returned that Perry exploded.

Let's not selectively remember the bad over the good here. Four straight seasons of over a PPG play puts Getzlaf into an elite category. One bad season doesn't erase that.

I remember that year just fine thanks, and Perry was the league MVP, I am well aware of Getzlafs history, but Perry has been better for 2 years

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't really think it matters who is better, likely they'll end up getting the same money as eachother. That's how it worked out last time they re-signed, and Getzlaf was the better player at the time. Getzlaf took a little less so Perry could get a little more, I'm expecting it to be the other way around this time, if they both choose to stay.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
So the way I see it, the only ways we keep both of these guys is if one or both give some sort of discount, or suddenly Samueli lets BM spend some serious money. I have almost zero faith that either of these things happens. So what are the options?

One of them is of course, if the season is salvaged to an extent, to trade them away as rentals. Not sure if anyone is going to be serious about a half season playoff run, but one of these guys can get the Ducks some good veteran defense or some quality prospects and draft picks.

Is it crazy to consider this?

At this point in time, yes. You are being way too negative. Samueli let Burke spend to the max when a Cup was on the line. He has never been a penny pincher. Just because he doesn't chase UFAs and spend to the max every year does not mean he won't do his best to keep both players. Especially with the money the Ducks will have available being so far below the cap.

It's certainly possible one or both could leave, but it isn't time yet to join the nut jobs on the main board and start entertaining crappy offers. Just my $.02. ;)

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
At this point in time, yes. You are being way too negative. Samueli let Burke spend to the max when a Cup was on the line. He has never been a penny pincher. Just because he doesn't chase UFAs and spend to the max every year does not mean he won't do his best to keep both players. Especially with the money the Ducks will have available being so far below the cap.

It's certainly possible one or both could leave, but it isn't time yet to join the nut jobs on the main board and start entertaining crappy offers. Just my $.02. ;)
We spent to 56 million this year without subsidies, so I don't get why people don't think we'll be willing to spend at or near a cap of 60 million. If Getz and Perry leave for money, it would have to be something crazy.

TheFlyingV

Anatidaephobia
Apr 5, 2009
Yorba Linda, CA

The cap floor last season was higher than the cap in 2007.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad