Getzlaf just signed an 8 year extension

• Thread starter Captain Mittens*
  • Start date

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
Smart move. Centers are at a premium and there would have a been a bidding war. This will be the new standard for a premium player in the league... its too bad the CBA made max contracts 8 years and not 6 like they originally had planned. I'm really suprised they gave him a NMC though and that should show Getzlaf never planned on leaving.

I'm sure they've offered Corey the same and he just has to say yes or no. Looks like he believes he can get more as UFA or he just doesn't want to be here.

I imagine they give Perry a few weeks to change his mind then start to see what they can get for him.

I had a feeling Getzlaf would be the easy one, recently moving his wife and young kids to Anaheim, you don't want to constantly relocate. I am sure Perry will want to stay with his long term teammate, their chemistry has taken alot of time to build and be strong.

Perry would be tough to get more then Getzlaf on any other team with a max of 7 years, he would be at a 10m+ cap hit. I think he will have around the same as Getzlaf or a bit higher and stay here.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm just glad he's signed. The Ducks had to keep him, basically no matter the costs. If he plays like he's doing now, or any season before last year, it's not a bad contract. Hopefully his actually salary is a bit lower in the last years of the contract, though.

Here is the breakdown of Ryan Getzlaf's extension: $6.5M next year then $8.75M, $9.25M, $9.25M, $9.025M, $8.95M, $8.275M and $6M.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/310152223600566274

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
The only issue I have with going for it this year is the blueline. We lack a legitimate number one defenseman. Beauchemin has been great but I'm not sure how long he can sustain his current level of play for and Fowler isn't quite there yet. Outside of the Hurricanes who were absolutely stacked up front I can't think of a single team that's won a cup without a legitimate number one guy.

I agree, and we won't be getting a legit #1 at the deadline, but if we can get another solid defender and a 2nd line center at the deadline, I think we can win it all with some luck that any other team would need, so I'm willing to take the risk.

How amazing would it be to win the cup the year after LA finally wins their first and subsequently ties us.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I agree, and we won't be getting a legit #1 at the deadline, but if we can get another solid defender and a 2nd line center at the deadline, I think we can win it all with some luck that any other team would need, so I'm willing to take the risk.

How amazing would it be to win the cup the year after LA finally wins their first and subsequently ties us.

Those don't come cheap, especially at the deadline. No way we give up anything if we keep Perry for a playoff run. Can't lose him and top picks and prospects.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Those don't come cheap, especially at the deadline. No way we give up anything if we keep Perry for a playoff run. Can't lose him and top picks and prospects.

Once again, I disagree.

The 1st, DSP, Clark, Mcmuffin, 2nd, Welinski, ect should be on the table IMO. We have the prospect depth, we should go for it...but that's just me I guess.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Once again, I disagree.

The 1st, DSP, Clark, Mcmuffin, 2nd, Welinski, ect should be on the table IMO. We have the prospect depth, we should go for it...but that's just me I guess.

You want a "solid defender and a #2C" and you don't think Lindholm, Etem, Vatanen and at least one #1 pick will be asked for? With the possible exception of DSP everything else you're offering (player wise) is table scraps.

tANNERRRR54

Sep 12, 2012
Southern California
No way Perry is staying. After this comments today, it sounds like he wants to play elsewhere. I hope I am wrong, but he is not going to get paid less than Getzlaf in Anaheim, I am just about sure of that.

Ducksgo*

Sounds good

That's awesome what do we do with Selanne and Perry and Ryan later on? You make NO complete sense in this new CBA as they call it. No one has answered what we are looking at this off season besides a Ryan<Perry non sense :facepalm:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
That's awesome what do we do with Selanne and Perry and Ryan later on? You make NO complete sense in this new CBA as they call it. No one has answered what we are looking at this off season besides a Ryan<Perry non sense :facepalm:

Not sure I understand what you're saying.

Ducksgo*

Not sure I understand what you're saying.

There is one or two posters who posted we should choose Perry over Ryan regarding contract extension to Getzlaf level if it comes to it. I am face palming because of the previous contract negotiating for our trio. One asks this one asks that and another wants something similar.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I disagree. If the team was elite, then I would be with you, but this d-corps is not cup level in my opinion.

If perry isn't signed, I move him for the roster player, prospect, 1st shlop, and try and flp the first for a dman. Losing a franchise player for nothing sets budget teams back years.

Don't you mean you gain that much salary and cap space too? But we're also the only one that can give him 8 years. I'm sure many teams will call us to do a sign and trade to get that extra year after the season is done.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
nice....i think its funny that other team's fans are *****ing....its funny because the ducks where one of the teams that didnt give out these horrible contracts that lead to the lockout, and reward a guy like getzlaf who took a steal of a contract for us and pay him what he's worth/due now, and now they are all scared crapless because they realize this new CBA fixed a HUGE problem and do to the fact that we were responsible, we are able to sign getz while they wont be.....good luck edmonton, bet they wont drive up those 2nd contract's this time around eh?

and congratz to getzlaf/family,ducks organization, and us.....getz is a lifer

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
No way Perry is staying. After this comments today, it sounds like he wants to play elsewhere. I hope I am wrong, but he is not going to get paid less than Getzlaf in Anaheim, I am just about sure of that.

What are you talking about? Perry wants to be his own individual self. Yes, we see Getz and Pears as twins, but Pears still wants to have that idea he's an individual. Perry will not command more than Getz. Perry can possibly receive the same as Getz. By the way, no one else can offer Perry the extra 8th year unlike the Ducks.

You aren't sure about anything because you're name's not Perry. You can hope, but never be sure or about sure.

Perry is Perry. Even though he was part of the Gold winning team, he didn't participate in the spoof with Getz and Scotty with Ryan's silver. As of right now, we know nothing besides negotiations are ongoing. Last time, I believe Getz signed first and then followed by Perry. Getz, being a #1 center as well as captain, would be more pertinent to sign first, but also sets the barometer of what Perry would be looking at... except Perry isn't a top flight center. Yet I still see a similar contract to Perry offered because if the ownership was willing to dish out that type of contract to Getz, then they will probably do the same with Perry. It's very difficult to have two top line franchise players because it doesn't happen often and I see this logic working in the org. But I'm simply throwing that out there and still say all we can do is wait.

Ducksgo*

You want a "solid defender and a #2C" and you don't think Lindholm, Etem, Vatanen and at least one #1 pick will be asked for? With the possible exception of DSP everything else you're offering (player wise) is table scraps.

Etem???? Vatanen? And Lindholm? On the asking table? No thanks ill enjoy my 2nd in western Conference and enjoy my youth. No to all trades if your wanting my top 3 prospects besides holland and Palms who already have a roster spot. Vats Etem and Linds are off the table.

Can i ask why is everyone jumping for trades? We're top of our division and number two in the western. Why the f would we trade? Someone explain?

Oct 18, 2011
Getzlaf played on an undervalued contract for several years, it was disingenuous to think he'd give us a big hometown discount or anything

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
Top centers are always alot more value then top wingers are.

That being said there are alot of older guys that get alot of money coming off the books in a year or two. Selanne, Koivu, Lydman, Souray, Allen, Beauch, Hiller.

There is still room to get Perry AND Ryan. With alot of talent coming up in goalie and some solid defence prospects. In 2 or 3 years some of these larger contracts will be gone, and by then the league will have adjusted to new player values with a new CBA.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
Does anyone really expect Ryan to get a whole lot more than he's earning now? I'd say maybe around 6.75 as an annual check... at most. Which is doable.

ForzaFCBAnaheim

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Just a thought, but maybe Murray & co gave Getzlaf this contract to entice Perry into signing the same/similar deal. I mean, everybody knew Getzlaf was the more likelier one of the two to sign and it's no surprise he signed first. Since he's the number 1C on the team and the real face of the franchise I doubt they'd want anybody on the team to make more than him. If they'd signed Getzlaf for less (which maybe he was willing to do), they'd limit what they could/would offer Perry. So if Perry is really looking for a fair deal, like 8M$/year or more, which he'd get as an UFA, they had no choice but give it first to Getzlaf.

douglast5

PS3 GMC Comish
Sep 14, 2012
Just a thought, but maybe Murray & co gave Getzlaf this contract to entice Perry into signing the same/similar deal. I mean, everybody knew Getzlaf was the more likelier one of the two to sign and it's no surprise he signed first. Since he's the number 1C on the team and the real face of the franchise I doubt they'd want anybody on the team to make more than him. If they'd signed Getzlaf for less (which maybe he was willing to do), they'd limit what they could/would offer Perry. So if Perry is really looking for a fair deal, like 8M$/year or more, which he'd get as an UFA, they had no choice but give it first to Getzlaf.

My thoughts exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad