Getzlaf: 112 points in 112 playoff games

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's good, really good. He joins Crosby and Malkin as the only active players to be a PPG or better in 100+ playoff games.

Ducks have underperformed as a team in recent years and that has overshadowed just how good he is in the playoffs. Definitely one of the favorites for the Conn Smythe at this time.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's good, really good. He joins Crosby and Malkin as the only active players to be a PPG or better in 100+ playoff games.

Ducks have underperformed as a team in recent years and that has overshadowed just how good he is in the playoffs. Definitely one of the favorites for the Conn Smythe at this time.

I mean, to be fair, in past playoff runs he himself has specially called himself out in the media for his play, specifically in elimination games. He's not an innocent witness to Anaheim's playoff disappointments, he's been key to a few of them.

Zetterberg, Kopitar and Toews all took turns using him as a squeegee to drag up and the down the ice, 3 years in a row.

He's a great player, and he's beasting right now, but I think a lot of people are waiting to see what he does if this series goes 7, or what he does in the WCF against NSH.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I mean, to be fair, in past playoff runs he himself has specially called himself out in the media for his play, specifically in elimination games.

Zetterberg, Kopitar and Toews all took turns using him as a squeegee to drag up and the down the ice, 3 years in a row.

He's a great player, and he's beasting right now, but I think a lot of people are waiting to see what he does if this series goes 7, or what he does in the WCF against NSH.

So can we bury Toews for being lousy two years in a row?

Getzlaf is a better playoff performer than Toews.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's kind of a hard sell to say Getzlaf is better playoff performer than Toews since Toews has the superior performance. His first Cup and CS win is better than anything Getzlaf has ever produced. But Getzlaf has been more consistent in producing points, that's not arguable.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he's had his ups and downs in the playoffs for sure

people always forget he led the 07 ducks in playoff scoring

Oct 18, 2011
He's also had serious injuries before or during the playoffs. I remember in 2014 he started out on fire and then broke his jaw, the year after he had a sports hernia which is kind of a two year injury.

But as a three zone guy he's never been better.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
He's been a beast in the playoffs so far this year. And he has the past track record to back it up. Special talent.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It's kind of a hard sell to say Getzlaf is better playoff performer than Toews since Toews has the superior performance. His first Cup and CS win is better than anything Getzlaf has ever produced. But Getzlaf has been more consistent in producing points, that's not arguable.

Agreed, JT has the single best season.

JT has one playoff run of more than 1 point per game. This would be Ryan's FOURTH time.

This would be Malkin and Crosby's SIXTH time.

Ohh...I have a poll question to create now.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I hate him ... but dammit I respect him.

The guy is a monster. I've always thought he was underappreciated. I just hope that, at least for the next 2-3 games, he disappears.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Agreed, JT has the single best season.

JT has one playoff run of more than 1 point per game. This would be Ryan's FOURTH time.

This would be Malkin and Crosby's SIXTH time.

Ohh...I have a poll question to create now.

Crosby and Malkin are another conversation.

Exactly one of Getzlafs PPG playoff runs went more than two rounds. And fittingly, that was the run he criticized his own play to press as the Toews line stomped all over him to finish the series

Even taking the new playoff format into account, the qoc rises through the rounds, which is why pretty much every player, including crosby and malkin, sees production rates drop in rounds 3 and 4.

Getzlaf is a great playoff producer, and he probably gets more **** than he deserves for Anaheims playoff disappointments, but he still has a fair bit to prove in rounds 3 and 4.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So underrated because of who/where he played with. Look at his international career, its stellar.

1. Crosby
2. Jagr
3. Getzlaf
4. Chicago Trio
5. Malkin

Is how I would rank active players in terms of career impact. Everyone talks about Ovechkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux and yet, Getzlaf is significantly better then any of them.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Nah we're supposed to ignore serious injuries when doing hot takes

Getzlaf is definitely the first and only player in NHL history to play through an injury in the playoffs.

And again, his 2015 run was one of his 2 best playoff runs, at least from a production standpoint (granted, mostly against a bad Calgary team and a bad Winnipeg team). What were his injuries in the less impressive runs?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I mean, to be fair, in past playoff runs he himself has specially called himself out in the media for his play, specifically in elimination games. He's not an innocent witness to Anaheim's playoff disappointments, he's been key to a few of them.

Crosby and Malkin are another conversation.

Exactly one of Getzlafs PPG playoff runs went more than two rounds. And fittingly, that was the run he criticized his own play to press as the Toews line stomped all over him to finish the series

Even taking the new playoff format into account, the qoc rises through the rounds, which is why pretty much every player, including crosby and malkin, sees production rates drop in rounds 3 and 4.

Getzlaf is a great playoff producer, and he probably gets more **** than he deserves for Anaheims playoff disappointments, but he still has a fair bit to prove in rounds 3 and 4.

I agree with this, you've pretty much nailed it.

Love the way he's playing right now, hope he maintains with the heavy minutes he's eating up.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
he's had his ups and downs in the playoffs for sure

people always forget he led the 07 ducks in playoff scoring

With less than 20 points.

That team was deep at forward, had 2 hof defenseman playing at high levels, and solid goaltending. Ducks defense obviously hasn't been the same, nor has their depth.

This is Getzlaf's shot to prove he can win without Niedermayer and Pronger.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

That team was deep at forward, had 2 hof defenseman playing at high levels, and solid goaltending. Ducks defense obviously hasn't been the same, nor has their depth.

In all fairness though, should he be expected to win it all without someone elite on the back end and/or an overwhelmingly good forward group? How many other guys have done that?

I think that's where he gets too much criticism, sure his individual performances needed to be better in critical games, but he's also been playing at a slight disadvantage given the lack of other elite compliments on his teams in recent years.

Oct 18, 2011
Getzlaf is definitely the first and only player in NHL history to play through an injury in the playoffs.

And again, his 2015 run was one of his 2 best playoff runs, at least from a production standpoint (granted, mostly against a bad Calgary team and a bad Winnipeg team). What were his injuries in the less impressive runs?
A sports hernia completely drains ones mobility and lower body and core strength. This isn't a standard hockey injury, it's one thatd severely affect a regular person who doesn't even play sports.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
A sports hernia completely drains ones mobility and lower body and core strength. This isn't a standard hockey injury, it's one thatd severely affect a regular person who doesn't even play sports.

Snark aside, I'm honestly not trying to discount the significance of the injury.

My point was more that, ok, yes he had an injury that year.... and yet it was one of his best playoff performances. So you could argue it derailed what could have otherwise been a mythic playoff run. I'll grant that.

But there are still all the other seasons since 2007 he performed WORSE than the year he got a hernia.... so surely injury can't account for them all.

So hopefully you can understand why some might suspect it was more than injury that contributed to that loss. It might have contributed something, but there was a pattern of under-performance, particularly against top 2-way centers, that preceded that particular injury.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Which isn't exactly getzlafs fault... the team has gone basically wherever getzlaf takes them, not a whole lot of supporting cast, now if a guy like thornton cant carry a team to a cup(and hes a hall of famer), why should getzlaf need too?

People can discredit his cup all they want, but he earned it and it counts just as much as any other cup... if he wins more awesome but I'm not convinced hes had the team to win another one outside of 09 season. The kings/hawks were just too good in this era come post season for the ducks to really get by them. This season there is a chance, as we seem to have forward/blueline depth were still lacking a hall of fame dmen but we have a deep blue line which might be good enough.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Which isn't exactly getzlafs fault... the team has gone basically wherever getzlaf takes them, not a whole lot of supporting cast, now if a guy like thornton cant carry a team to a cup(and hes a hall of famer), why should getzlaf need too?
That was my point more than anything. The whole narrative that players lead teams to cups is weak. It's a group effort, and this is probably Getzlaf's best team since year 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad