Proposal: Getting a top 6 C

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
-Keith/Seabrook/Hammer/Oduya
-Doughty/Muzzin/Martinez/Mitchell(Scuderi, Greene)
-Chara/Seidenberg/Boychuk/Ference

Boston's was the weakest, but those are all pretty good top 4s. I would take Ellis/Ekholm as a 4 over any of theirs, but that doesn't negate their strength.

I would also contend our defense's production is by virtue of their quality, not as a result of the forwards' lack thereof.

Thomas and Crawford both stepped up big time in the Finals, Rinne faltered unfortunately. That being said Quick was not very impressive in the 2014 Finals, but the team still nearly swept the Rangers.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd much rather have a 2C than a 4D. It would depend on the players involved if I had to choose between 2C and 3D.
Ok, it does depend on the players. Since our #4D is really like a #2D on many teams, perhaps that distorts things. I'd rather have Malkin than whoever Pittsburgh's #4D is.

In some stereotypes, a 2C is just a tweener or somewhat-offensive player without a refined two-way game, not a core player on the team at all. But on some teams, a #4D is equally just a solid generic filler.

So on the Preds, if we are talking our 4D vs. any of the 2C's suggested to be on the market, I'd rather have our 4D.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Agreed. And top 3-4D were very important to the Cup runs of LA and Chicago. Pittsburgh is a pretty disingenuous example since they run generational players at 1C and 2C.

I still think we're barking up the wrong tree trading D for O. Our D is what makes us a truly great team. Adding a Duchene or RNH makes us stronger, but still pretty average up front, while losing an Ellis or Ekholm really saps the area we excel in over then rest of the pack.
Anyway, the good thing with the Preds right now is that it really shouldn't be a question of exchanging one of the top 4 D for a 2C... because there are other ways to get a 2C, and the Preds have the cap space, the roster youth, the prospects... they can do this if they find they need to, while keeping that strong D intact.

Maybe if you're up against the cap and need to move commensurate salary to add the 2C, or your prospect cupboard is thin and you don't have a lot of attractive ones to offer... ok, then that would narrow your options. But atm, Preds should be able to have the best of both worlds. I salute Poile for approaching this with patience so far. He is holding the cards to turn this into a win-win.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Poile has stated multiple times he isn't trading a top 4 D, at least not this season.

Value wise I don't think any are far off you posted, RNH+ would be another. TBH either Josi or Subban could probably land you just about anyone outside of Crosby, Malkin, McDavid or Mathews and you wouldn't be far off.

Malkin is always hurt. If we offered the pens Josi for him they would be all over that like a fat kid on cake. Pens would have way more use for Josi right now than Malkin by far

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Malkin is always hurt. If we offered the pens Josi for him they would be all over that like a fat kid on cake. Pens would have way more use for Josi right now than Malkin by far

Let's not like Josi's concussion problems in the past hasn't made him the most resilient player in history either. I'm not so sure the Pens jump on Josi as much as you think. They have won a cup without a guy like Josi, you trade Malkin and Crosby goes down, now that's some serious center depth problems.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Malkin had the most points in the playoffs this year so i say hes still pretty valuable to the pens.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Let's not like Josi's concussion problems in the past hasn't made him the most resilient player in history either. I'm not so sure the Pens jump on Josi as much as you think. They have won a cup without a guy like Josi, you trade Malkin and Crosby goes down, now that's some serious center depth problems.

You're right, I don't think they will be trading for defensemen right now. They already have center depth problems. They lost Bonino to us. Cullen went to Minnesota. Their depth is basically now just Crosby and Malkin. They're pretty much shopping for centers right now.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Maybe the reason poile is not making moves for duchene, bozak or RNH is because hes focused on a bigger fish. Offer: fabbro smith jarnkrok 2018 1st 2019 1st for john Tavares. Drop 6.5 mil so well have 12.5 million in cap room. Offer him 92mil for 8 years. Boom lol

Forsberg Tavares aberg
Fiala ryjo arvi
Hartnell bonino solamoki
Watson sissons freddy g

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Maybe the reason poile is not making moves for duchene, bozak or RNH is because hes focused on a bigger fish. Offer: fabbro smith jarnkrok 2018 1st 2019 1st for john Tavares. Drop 6.5 mil so well have 12.5 million in cap room. Offer him 92mil for 8 years. Boom lol

Forsberg Tavares aberg
Fiala ryjo arvi
Hartnell bonino solamoki
Watson sissons freddy g
Tavares is not worth 11.5.
No.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Tavares is not worth 11.5.
No.

Ok whats he worth then? I say hes definitely between 10.5-11.5. Hes been a point per game almost his whole career. Hes never had a forsberg on his line. I could imagine him getting close to 90-100 points on a line with forsberg and aberg. Id give him 11 in a heart beat. We gave bonino 4.1 and he only got more than 40 points once. Id give Tavares a superstar 10.5 to 11 at least. It might be a little over payment but wow could you imagine watching a team with Tavares and ryjo centering our first 2 lines. It would be like crosby and malkin, mcdavid and drai. Plus with our d yea i see a cup or 2 in the near future if we did this

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't think Tavares is worth 11 million but he's worth 9 at the minimum and I think he gets a little undervalued playing in the relative anonymity of the NYI. Problem is when he signs a long term deal he's gonna already be starting said deal in his late(ish) 20s and will play it out in his 30s so you never know how long that production will last.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
As much as I want to see Salomaki make it in the NHL, I don't think he would get 3rd line minutes even if we would have Tavares.
I'm not opposed to Tavares coming here, but the contract needs to be reasonable. Not discount McDavid.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I don't think Tavares is worth 11 million but he's worth 9 at the minimum and I think he gets a little undervalued playing in the relative anonymity of the NYI. Problem is when he signs a long term deal he's gonna already be starting said deal in his late(ish) 20s and will play it out in his 30s so you never know how long that production will last.

So your saying Tavares is only a little better than joey by saying hes only worth 9? Tavares is a elite player hell be good awhile

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You guys talking Tavares need a reality check. Joey is making 1C money. No way does Poile go out and pay even more for another 1C.

Only thing reasonable is to find a 2C with about a 6M cap hit (aka Duchene)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
You guys talking Tavares need a reality check. Joey is making 1C money. No way does Poile go out and pay even more for another 1C.

It's one person. I'm fully aware that there's no way we go after him.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Back to back stanley cup winner pittsburg penguins paid their 1c 10.9 mil and their 2c 9.5 mil. Im not sayimg poile would do it im just throwing out propositions that would make our team better. Tavares would make our team a ton better and if we made a few moves we could afford him. Thats all im saying. It might be a tad unrealistic but its not impossible. I think getting duchene RNH or bozak is way more realistic but i dont think thats gonna happen either. In all reality we are gonna start the season with the lineup we have. But it doesnt stop you from dreaming about getting duchene does it?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Clearly the best options are:

1) Try to pry RNH away from Edmonton. The price won't be really high as they can't afford him. I'm thinking Jarnkrok + Carrier/Allard/Dougherty will get it done. They get a nice d-prospect + a very cost-controlled 3C.

2) Wait for Duchene to hit UFA and make sure we have the cap space for him. It may be Smith's time to go if we go after Duchene.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Clearly the best options are:

1) Try to pry RNH away from Edmonton. The price won't be really high as they can't afford him. I'm thinking Jarnkrok + Carrier/Allard/Dougherty will get it done. They get a nice d-prospect + a very cost-controlled 3C.

2) Wait for Duchene to hit UFA and make sure we have the cap space for him. It may be Smith's time to go if we go after Duchene.

Jarnkrok and carrier will not get it done. Edmonton will not want to give him to a team in the west that challenges them unless its a really sweet deal.

Waiting on duchene for 2 years puts our defensemen 2 years older. I know they wont be super old but we should trying to cup pieces now while we know our defensemen our primed and ready to go. Just my opinion

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Well Jarnkrok + Girard/Fabbro. We can afford to lose one of those guys as we are loaded on D anyways, even with prospects and Farrance looking like a steal.

Sure, Jarnkrok is a downgrade to RNH but he is better at the dot, great on PK and on a steal of a deal compared to RNH's. Sweeten the deal with an A prospect and it'll get done.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Well Jarnkrok + Girard/Fabbro. We can afford to lose one of those guys as we are loaded on D anyways, even with prospects and Farrance looking like a steal.

Sure, Jarnkrok is a downgrade to RNH but he is better at the dot, great on PK and on a steal of a deal compared to RNH's. Sweeten the deal with an A prospect and it'll get done.
You're forgetting that you are dealing with Chiapet.
He's a dumbass and I don't think he's up for even deals.
We saw it with the Hall deal, which turned out ok for Edmonton, but the return for Hall simply isn't Larsson.
But futures haven't really been his thing.
Didn't he ship Seguin and Kessel out of town in Boston?
I don't remember if those were considered good at the day of the trade but boston exactly didn't win anything by trading Versteeg away either.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

It would probably depend on the rest of the market outside of us. I don't think it makes sense for the Preds to go to any higher price tier... Jarnkrok and a D prospect is probably a reasonable price to pay for the upgrade from our perspective. But it will really just depend on what other teams are looking for a 2C and what they are willing to pay.

Oilers will also probably have a skewed view of RNH's value. Even though his results haven't been great, they will probably still have a "but 1st overall" perspective of some sort. No need to get drawn into any bidding wars. If he is a fit at our price point, great, if not, move on. There aren't any indications so far that RNH is anything special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad