Proposal: Get MN a top 6 C

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
How many opportunities has he had? I can think of only one and that was Trocheck possibly. And I don't think Minnesota missed out a lot on him.
It’s not just the center position. Trocheck is a miss at this point for Guerin, but the bigger miss is not adding a goalie at the deadline. This team with Lehner could make noise. Now, we might just play ourselves out of a lottery pick just to get run over by Colorado

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
It’s not just the center position. Trocheck is a miss at this point for Guerin, but the bigger miss is not adding a goalie at the deadline. This team with Lehner could make noise. Now, we might just play ourselves out of a lottery pick just to get run over by Colorado
We have an upgrade at goalie sitting in the press box every night and we're not playing him. Why do you think that is?

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
You have to consider the price tag was considerably higher for a division rival. Maybe I’m different but I think GMs should get at least 3 years before being evaluated unless they are a complete morale cancer; see Fenton.

Beyond having enough time to mold their team, no quality GM candidates will look at a trigger happy owner as an ideal team.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Trocheck is a miss at this point for Guerin, but the bigger miss is not adding a goalie at the deadline. This team with Lehner could make noise. Now, we might just play ourselves out of a lottery pick just to get run over by Colorado

Why do we need to add another goalie? We have Kahkonen, Jones, Robson developing and Kahkonen is more than ready.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Why do we need to add another goalie? We have Kahkonen, Jones, Robson developing and Kahkonen is more than ready.
We needed someone who could be a starting goaltender this year. Kahkonen could be ready to be a starter, but “more than ready” is optimistic considering he has all of 5 games of NHL experience. I’m just saying, If Bill Guerin really wanted to win this year, and he thought we’d be capable of that with a Stalock/Dubnyk tandem, we’re in for a long few years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be down with getting Haula as a FA. Wouldn't cost us a player or prospect, and knows how to play the middle. IMO, getting him would prevent us from forcing a trade for a guy like Johansen, Domi, or the like, and allow us to develop a C. Khovanov? Lundell?

I'm all for pouncing on a trade if it's there to be had, but overpaying leads to problems, as we know from the Zuccarello, Pominville, and Parise signings.

Still can't believe that the management of this team was so remiss to not draft more C's.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not taking Veleno was a miss but going back and looking at the first round picks, I can't really see where they should have taken a center. And chances are any centers taken after the first round wouldn't have worked out either.

Would love to see which centers they should have taken without the benefit of hindsight. Outside of Veleno.

Schmaltz over Tuch I guess? But Schmaltz isn't a real center either.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I thought Newhook/Krebs would have been good picks last year. Ryan Poehling and Morgan Frost were taken after the pick in 2017 (that we traded for Hanzal...). Sure, hindsight is 2020, but you can’t hit on a center if you don’t draft one.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I thought Newhook/Krebs would have been good picks last year. Ryan Poehling and Morgan Frost were taken after the pick in 2017 (that we traded for Hanzal...). Sure, hindsight is 2020, but you can’t hit on a center if you don’t draft one.

There was a strong case for Boldy being the BPA last year, and I'm a proponent of taking BPA.

2013 and 2017 we didn't have a pick so I'm not holding it against them for not drafting one.

2010 we drafted Granlund and ultimately ended up with Coyle, two pretty solid center prospects.

2011 we needed defense but still got Phillips

2012 Dumba or Trouba were the right picks

2014 Maybe Schmaltz over Tuch

2015 Maybe Colin White over Eriksson Ek? Not even convinced we made the wrong choice.

2016 Kunin was the right choice, and a center, who hasn't worked out at center.

2018 Veleno over Johansson

2019 Maybe Newhook or Krebs over Boldy, but it's still too early and I personally believe Boldy is a better player than either.

I'm just trying to figure out what top 6 centers we'd have right now if we drafted for position over BPA.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There was a strong case for Boldy being the BPA last year, and I'm a proponent of taking BPA.

2013 and 2017 we didn't have a pick so I'm not holding it against them for not drafting one.

2010 we drafted Granlund and ultimately ended up with Coyle, two pretty solid center prospects.

2011 we needed defense but still got Phillips

2012 Dumba or Trouba were the right picks

2014 Maybe Schmaltz over Tuch

2015 Maybe Colin White over Eriksson Ek? Not even convinced we made the wrong choice.

2018 Veleno over Johansson

2019 Maybe Newhook or Krebs over Boldy, but it's still too early and I personally believe Boldy is a better player than either.

I'm just trying to figure out what top 6 centers we'd have right now if we drafted for position over BPA.
Anze Kopitar instead of Benoit Pouliot :cry:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I know it has been discussed but what is the consensus on Anthony Cirelli? He would be a good pickup and we'll have the space.

Tampa has ~$5M to sign a shit ton of players. They have 3 defensemen signed past this season... Need to sign Sergachev, too. They have 10 forwards signed as well so need 3 more minimum.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Not taking Veleno was a miss but going back and looking at the first round picks, I can't really see where they should have taken a center. And chances are any centers taken after the first round wouldn't have worked out either.

Would love to see which centers they should have taken without the benefit of hindsight. Outside of Veleno.

Schmaltz over Tuch I guess? But Schmaltz isn't a real center either.
Schmaltz has played C his entire career

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

2013 and 2017 we didn't have a pick so I'm not holding it against them for

Not sure you can say Kunin, I was eyeing Debrincat and Chychrun. Still dunno how Debrincat fell so far.

Forgot to mention too, Konecny in 2015 was highly rated and available...

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I know it has been discussed but what is the consensus on Anthony Cirelli? He would be a good pickup and we'll have the space.

Tampa has ~$5M to sign a shit ton of players. They have 3 defensemen signed past this season... Need to sign Sergachev, too. They have 10 forwards signed as well so need 3 more minimum.
We want him

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
BPA needs a trading market in order to acquire first line center with players of surplus.

To nobody's surprise, the trading market for first line centers is horrible.

And yet, people worship BPA like a religion instead of a strategy for futility.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
BPA needs a trading market in order to acquire first line center with players of surplus.

To nobody's surprise, the trading market for first line centers is horrible.

And yet, people worship BPA like a religion instead of a strategy for futility.
I thought BPA didn't exist? You really need to get your story straight

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You're not completely right, but you're sure as hell not completely wrong. Trades are hard to make, and if you load up on, say talented LW's, then it's not easy to find an equally talented C in trade.

Ironically, we are loaded with LW's, and if we luck into the #1 in the upcoming draft, we'll have another one, unless we can figure out a great trade.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Brodin/Dumba + Boldy + 2020 1st (if not #1). What is your list of centers that you give this package up for? You can leave the McDavids and MacKinnons out, for obvious reasons.

Probably Matt Barzal, although NYI would never get rid of him. Barzal and Fiala on a line would be nasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad