German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
J20 SuperElit is a good place for him to be right now, getting an opportunity to see what it takes to play in the SHL is a nice bonus though.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Tim Stützle (15yo) is having quite the season in the DNL. Over the weekend he scored 3 goals vs. Köln (Cologne; german youth powerhouse) which puts him at:
10 games
9 goals
12 assists
21 points

Do we have the next gem here? Thread-worthy for the prospects forum?

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Do we have the next gem here? Thread-worthy for the prospects forum?
He has crazy hands and can really shoot the puck. Strong skater too. Only seen him once so far and his skill was evident throughout the game, but he did too much by himself and had a tonne of turnovers. Still needs to adjust a little and develop more of a pro-style game, but he obviously has a lot of time left to do that.

Definitely a very, very promising prospect for 2020. Talked to his advisor; he said "best hands I've seen since Rieder."

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I watched Cologne for the first time of the season yesterday.

Was quite impressed with Manuel Alberg early, but that pretty much changed with every time he stepped on the ice from the second period to the end. He's really skilled and super fast, also surprisingly strong on the forecheck and backcheck, but really didn't create much, neither for himself nor his teammates. Also didn't control the pace at all, he just took off as soon as he got the puck. Every time.
Always important to remember he's 2019-eligible and only 16 years old, but now would be the time for a potential NHL draft pick from Germany to show up. He has a lot to improve if he wants to be in consideration in two years.

Simon Gnyp kind of stole the show with a hat-trick, but as hard as this may be to believe, I wasn't overly impressed with him. To summarize, he just didn't look like anything special, and two of his goals were "assisted" by Krefeld's goalie. He's also just 16 and it's good that he can play in the DNL and look like he belongs, but he doesn't stand out as anything special (yet?). If he were born a week later, he would've been 2020-eligible, so like Alberg, he's got a lot of time to improve and definitely shows some promise.

Someone I didn't have on the radar but who really impressed me was Jakob Jugovic (not German but playing in Germany, so I hope I'm allowed to include him here ;)). A great skater who showed flashes of excellent two-way skill. Strong defensively, poised with the puck. Had a few too many dump-outs and dump-ins under pressure, but displayed the necessary skillset to work on that. He was 2017-eligible, but I'm still curious to see how he develops in Cologne.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
I watched Cologne for the first time of the season yesterday.

Was quite impressed with Manuel Alberg early, but that pretty much changed with every time he stepped on the ice from the second period to the end. He's really skilled and super fast, also surprisingly strong on the forecheck and backcheck, but really didn't create much, neither for himself nor his teammates. Also didn't control the pace at all, he just took off as soon as he got the puck. Every time.
Always important to remember he's 2019-eligible and only 16 years old, but now would be the time for a potential NHL draft pick from Germany to show up. He has a lot to improve if he wants to be in consideration in two years.

Simon Gnyp kind of stole the show with a hat-trick, but as hard as this may be to believe, I wasn't overly impressed with him. To summarize, he just didn't look like anything special, and two of his goals were "assisted" by Krefeld's goalie. He's also just 16 and it's good that he can play in the DNL and look like he belongs, but he doesn't stand out as anything special (yet?). If he were born a week later, he would've been 2020-eligible, so like Alberg, he's got a lot of time to improve and definitely shows some promise.

Someone I didn't have on the radar but who really impressed me was Jakob Jugovic (not German but playing in Germany, so I hope I'm allowed to include him here ;)). A great skater who showed flashes of excellent two-way skill. Strong defensively, poised with the puck. Had a few too many dump-outs and dump-ins under pressure, but displayed the necessary skillset to work on that. He was 2017-eligible, but I'm still curious to see how he develops in Cologne.

Thanks for that. I’m following the teams like Mannheim, Cologne and Berlin and I will soon write a long report about some players who really stood out so far. Manuel Alberg is one of them. I would agree with some things you wrote but I would totally disagree with things like he didn’t controled the pace. From what I‘ve seen he controled the whole game when he was on the ice. He always skated hard to the net and has a skill set to deke 2 or 3 players and to score a highlight goal. But ok, maybe he didn’t played his best game tonight. You are right, if he wants to go to North America next season he should work on a few things but I think he still has enough time for that.
As I mentioned before I will write the report after the following weekend.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Thanks for that. I’m following the teams like Mannheim, Cologne and Berlin and I will soon write a long report about some players who really stood out so far. Manuel Alberg is one of them. I would agree with some things you wrote but I would totally disagree with things like he didn’t controled the pace. From what I‘ve seen he controled the whole game when he was on the ice. He always skated hard to the net and has a skill set to deke 2 or 3 players and to score a highlight goal. But ok, maybe he didn’t played his best game tonight. You are right, if he wants to go to North America next season he should work on a few things but I think he still has enough time for that.
As I mentioned before I will write the report after the following weekend.
Maybe we just have different definitions of controlling the pace. He definitely controlled the speed every shift, as in he took off and was the one to chase. But he never showed down in the NZ before taking off with a quick burst, etc. It was “take the puck and go” every time.
He can skate around the offensive zone at will and nobody stops him, but from there, he doesn’t do more.
I agree he’s skilled and fast, and can deke through a couple guys in a row. But he really needs to work on playing more of a pro style game.

He’s just 16, so he has a lot of time and all the tools he needs. But Valenti for example has been playing much more of a pro game for a couple years now. Alberg needs a lot of work.

Again, don’t get me wrong, he’s definitely on the radar and I like his skill set a lot.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
Maybe we just have different definitions of controlling the pace. He definitely controlled the speed every shift, as in he took off and was the one to chase. But he never showed down in the NZ before taking off with a quick burst, etc. It was “take the puck and go” every time.
He can skate around the offensive zone at will and nobody stops him, but from there, he doesn’t do more.
I agree he’s skilled and fast, and can deke through a couple guys in a row. But he really needs to work on playing more of a pro style game.

He’s just 16, so he has a lot of time and all the tools he needs. But Valenti for example has been playing much more of a pro game for a couple years now. Alberg needs a lot of work.

Again, don’t get me wrong, he’s definitely on the radar and I like his skill set a lot.

Okay. Its true that he has to play more of a pro style game but he has enough time and alle the tools (maybe not physically) to do so and dominate the game. What would you say, is he coming close to Bokk compared to last season?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The following players are currently attending the DEB U15-Camp.

Verein
Spieler
Starbulls Rosenheim:Gottwald Michael (V), Mayr Sandro (V), Ellmaier Simon (S1), Grimm Yuma (S)
ESV Kaufbeuren:Bidoul Philipp (V)
EC Bad Tölz:Baron Joshua (TW), Heigl Nikolaus (S), Heigl Thomas (S), Achner Kilian (S), Gißibl Domnik (S), Maier Martin (V)
ES Weißwasser:Berger Alex (S)
EHC Straubing: Brunner Michael (V)
Red Bull Salzburg:Quapp Nikita (TW), Eckl Oliver (V), Hänelt Hakan (V), Winkelmann Marius (V), Korte Connor (S), Zap Roman (S), Fischer Sten (S), Cimmermann Sebastian(S), Feist Philipp (S)
EV Füssen:Kaiser David (V), Moor David (V), Matis David (S)
SC Riessersee:Bader Quirin (S)
ESC Dresden:Jäntsch Maximilian (S)
ESC 03 Chemnitz:Hormes Fabian (TW)
ELZ Jungadler Mannheim:Ganz Luca (TW), Krenzlin Malte (V), Schams Julian (V), Hecht Philipp(S), Kasperzik Alex (S), Calce Luigi (S)
Schwenninger ERC:Khristenko Alex (S)
EV Landshut:Steck Pascal (S), Elsberger Julian (S)
Kölner EC „Die Haie“:Frisch Florian (V), Schmid Alexander (V), Calster Robin (S), Büsing Justin (S), Minaychev Maksin (S)
Krefelder EV:Jessler Leon (TW), Weißgerber (S)
Düsseldorfer EG:Seidel Pascal (TW) Hane Niklas (V), Ribnitzky Felix (V), Bongers Konstantin (S)
Eisbären Juniors Berlin:Wäser Julian (V), Ponnier Lars (V), Handschuh Kevin (S), Steinberger Leon (S), Heim Maximilian (S)
Iserlohner EC:Elten Nils (S), Menges Max (S)
Hamburger SV/ REV BremerhavenSteffens Till (S), Striegler Jelle (V)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
A little disappointed with Bokk's stat line during WC. He had 5 points in 5 games (only 1 goal) but I thought he would totally crush the competition.

Tim Stützle keeps tearing up the DNL though. It´s not that easy to gather the stats all in one place, is it? If I am seeing it right he has combined 45 points in 22 games now. Pretty crazy since he is 2002 born.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
A little disappointed with Bokk's stat line during WC. He had 5 points in 5 games (only 1 goal) but I thought he would totally crush the competition.
I agree; would've expected more from someone who's being talked about as a first-round option. Not too surprised though. I also saw him more as a third-rounder last year and from what I've heard (haven't seen him play this season), that's still more likely than first round. But, all it takes is one team that likes his skill enough (like Columbus with Texier last year).

Also, Nikolaj Ehlers had a similar stat line at the Div I worlds in his draft year – probably best not to put too much stock into the numbers in this small tournament.

Tim Stützle keeps tearing up the DNL though. It´s not that easy to gather the stats all in one place, is it? If I am seeing it right he has combined 45 points in 22 games now. Pretty crazy since he is 2002 born.

He's been great, super high upside. I actually like Tim Fleischer quite a bit better right now (50 points in 23 games) because of his two-way game, hockey sense, and playmaking. Stützle is more than 1.5 years younger, though, so it'll be interesting to see where he's headed.

Also saw Manuel Alberg vs. Augsburg last weekend. He looked much better than in my last viewing. Slowed down when he needed to, made some nice passing plays. Also had one dominant shift that he capped off with a goal. Impressive showing.

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
I just came back from the game between Köln and Mannheim.
I was very excited to see these two german powerhouses play.
This is what I noticed:
Mannheim started very strong with a 2-0 lead after the first one goal was scored by Moritz Seider in powerplay who had a really good game. The game was just played by Mannheim until the start of the 3rd period. They were leading 5:1 at this point. Alberg who had a decent game so far was outstanding in the 3rd. He sniped it top shelf for the 5:2. He had some unbelievable coast to coast actions and was on the ice for Köln 15min in the last period. The coach didn't gave him a break and he even had to play defender 2-3 times. He even had crazy moments as a defender where he got the puck at the blue line, faked a shot went threw one guy and he put the puck on goal where his teammate was able to capitalize a sure goal. He had 2 assists yesterday and 1 goal and 2 assists today. I watched many games from him and this game was outstanding. We should definitely keep an eye on him. He has now 16 games 11 goals and 13 assists with an overall of 24 points. In his last 6 games he scored 6 goals and 8 assists. I didn't thought at the beginning of the season that he would be producing that much but I am really impressed with him so far.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I just came back from the game between Köln and Mannheim.
I was very excited to see these two german powerhouses play.
This is what I noticed:
Mannheim started very strong with a 2-0 lead after the first one goal was scored by Moritz Seider in powerplay who had a really good game. The game was just played by Mannheim until the start of the 3rd period. They were leading 5:1 at this point. Alberg who had a decent game so far was outstanding in the 3rd. He sniped it top shelf for the 5:2. He had some unbelievable coast to coast actions and was on the ice for Köln 15min in the last period. The coach didn't gave him a break and he even had to play defender 2-3 times. He even had crazy moments as a defender where he got the puck at the blue line, faked a shot went threw one guy and he put the puck on goal where his teammate was able to capitalize a sure goal. He had 2 assists yesterday and 1 goal and 2 assists today. I watched many games from him and this game was outstanding. We should definitely keep an eye on him. He has now 16 games 11 goals and 13 assists with an overall of 24 points. In his last 6 games he scored 6 goals and 8 assists. I didn't thought at the beginning of the season that he would be producing that much but I am really impressed with him so far.
I was at the game as well. Probably the best I've seen from Alberg, especially because it was the first time that he drove through the middle a lot instead of going to the outside every time.
Seider looked good for the most part but made a few really iffy reads/bad decisions that led to turnovers and scoring chances against.
Valenti had one of the best games I've seen from him too. He didn't create anything for his teammates but was great with the puck on his stick.
Fleischer I thought was really strong too although it didn't quite show on the scoresheet. Really smart offensively and plays strong positionally in the D-zone.
Stützle had a fantastic wrist-shot goal but didn't show too much besides that.

Going to see Mannheim again in Düsseldorf on Wednesday, and probably Cologne in Krefeld on Saturday.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
If anyone gets to see a game from the Eisbären Juniors, I'd love to hear about Magnus Eisenmenger.
I had heard a few good things from Sweden, and am very interested how he compares to guys like Fleischer etc. and how he is adjusting to the game here.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Erik Betzold ranked 125th by NHL Central Scouting. Did they need a 125th player and just went alphabetically in Germany?

I don't get that either. I like his hands and he is a solid young player, who might make it to the DEL, but I am shocked he was ranked on that list.
If I had to add a third German on that list besides Bokk and Schütz, I would have gone either with Taro Jentzsch or more likely Alexander Dersch who I like a lot.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Mannheim won their first game in Canada 3-0 vs. Ridley College.
Goals: Pierre Preto (Yannik Valenti, Louis Brune), Yannik Valenti (Pierre Preto, Louis Brune), Tim Fleischer (Tim Stüzle).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad