German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Stützle ist good, but i like more the play from Reichel and Peterka. For 2003 i bet on Robin van Calster.

I have ranked Peterka 2nd and Reichel 3rd for 2002. So it looks we are not that far away on that.
For 2003 van Calster is a bit lower on my list. Thomas and Nikolaus Heigl are the ones that may overtake Weißgerber on my list.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
The Heigl brothers are playfully top, but in my eyes a bit lazy. With Eham they had a very good third teammate.
Van Calster is on the same level, but he lacks the ease of the Heigl brothers. He is a bit too dogged in comparison and has a not so harmonious line.
The scoring is the key to the Heigl brothers, but they will have to do without Eham this year, while Van Calster may get a well-functioning block this year.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Stützle ist good, but i like more the play from Reichel and Peterka. For 2003 i bet on Robin van Calster.
Without having seen Peterka play: I can’t see him being better than Stützle. Stützle is a potential top-15 NHL Draft prospect as of today.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
I saw Stützle, Reichel and Peterka playing in a line and it was not Stützle who impressed me the most.
Each of the three has its merits, but what I like about Peterka is that he puts his mark on the game in each of his bets and creates opportunities for himself or his teammates. He is far less dependent on his teammates than Stützle. The second also applies to Reichel.

Stützle is a little too hyped for me. Sure, there will be coaches who will find them perfect, but you will also find those who recognize the extra work for the team at Reichel and Peterka. Peterka has the disadvantage of the smallest height of the three players mentioned.

#33 Peterka

#8 Stützle

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
Without having seen Peterka play: I can’t see him being better than Stützle. Stützle is a potential top-15 NHL Draft prospect as of today.

No offence, but you (and others) make of players like (Stutze, Peterka, Dube, Valenti, Fleischer, Seider ...) gods. I agree they are very talented players. Only few players of them will play NHL. Really not all. You wrote about Saakyan, Eckl, Ugbekible, Schiemenz, Eder... as certain pick in NHL draft. I know because players like Koys, Reway, Paulovic, Siska, Solensky etc gave us really lots of hope. But reality is completely different.

Without doubt Valenti, Seider, Peterka are very talented players, but ...

Last edited:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
No offence, but you (and others) make of players like (Stutze, Peterka, Dube, Valenti, Fleischer, Seider ...) gods. I agree they are very talented players. Only few players of them will play NHL. Really not all. You wrote about Saakyan, Eckl, Ugbekible, Schiemenz, Eder... as certain pick in NHL draft. I know because players like Koys, Reway, Paulovic, Siska, Solensky etc gave us really lots of hope. But reality is completely different.

Without doubt Valenti, Seider, Peterka are very talented players, but ...

If you are going to talk about what I said, please make sure you get it right. I never said a single thing about Saakyan, haven't seen Ugbekile in forever, and never saw Schiemenz or Eder. I never said any of them would be NHL picks.

I have never seen Peterka and Dube play and certainly am not "making them gods."

As to the players I have seen plenty and talked about:
  • I always said I doubted Eckl's ability to be an impact player in the CHL and he wasn't on my radar for the CHL Import Draft when he was selected.
  • Tim Stützle is a fantastic skater who owns the best shot arsenal in the entire DNL – at 15 (now 16) years old. He is without a doubt a potential top-15 NHL pick in 2020. A lot can change by then, but as of today, he is one of the most talented players in his age group in the world.
  • Moritz Seider is the most talented defenceman Germany has seen in a very long time. He is incredibly smart and an outstanding two-way player. He, too, has first-round NHL potential in 2019. There are no guarantees, and he could drop if Mannheim doesn't give him enough pro games this season, but he is exactly what NHL teams are looking for.
  • Yannik Valenti was incredible as a 14/15-year-old, though not quite as good as Stützle, but in the past seasons, I frequently said his development curve wasn't what I expected and that I'm not sure he'll be an NHL pick anymore. With his strong second half in 2017/18, though, I am very optimistic for him in Vancouver and do believe he can be a mid-round pick with a little bit of luck.
  • Tim Fleischer is one of the if not the smartest player in the DNL. I always said I love his hockey sense but he has no standout skills. At the next level, I see him as a two-way player more than a scorer, but do believe he has a chance to be picked in 2019 if he has a strong year in Hamilton.

This isn't to say I'm always right – nobody is, and I'm sure some of these kids will prove me wrong – but I certainly didn't say any of the things you are referencing either.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
I think your assessments are very correct.

Your expectation in Stützles Draft is too high for me, but you can‘t help it if i prefer a different way of playing.

At the end of the day, it will not bee the most talented players in the higher leagues or the NHL, but those with the greatest will - in addition to the sufficient talent. And they have to be lucky enough to find a coach who stands up for their style to play hockey.

It is a rocky road and nobody is waiting for a German hockey player. We don‘t wait for Canadian soccer player. ;)

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
If you are going to talk about what I said, please make sure you get it right. I never said a single thing about Saakyan, haven't seen Ugbekile in forever, and never saw Schiemenz or Eder. I never said any of them would be NHL picks.

I have never seen Peterka and Dube play and certainly am not "making them gods."

As to the players I have seen plenty and talked about:
  • I always said I doubted Eckl's ability to be an impact player in the CHL and he wasn't on my radar for the CHL Import Draft when he was selected.
  • Tim Stützle is a fantastic skater who owns the best shot arsenal in the entire DNL – at 15 (now 16) years old. He is without a doubt a potential top-15 NHL pick in 2020. A lot can change by then, but as of today, he is one of the most talented players in his age group in the world.
  • Moritz Seider is the most talented defenceman Germany has seen in a very long time. He is incredibly smart and an outstanding two-way player. He, too, has first-round NHL potential in 2019. There are no guarantees, and he could drop if Mannheim doesn't give him enough pro games this season, but he is exactly what NHL teams are looking for.
  • Yannik Valenti was incredible as a 14/15-year-old, though not quite as good as Stützle, but in the past seasons, I frequently said his development curve wasn't what I expected and that I'm not sure he'll be an NHL pick anymore. With his strong second half in 2017/18, though, I am very optimistic for him in Vancouver and do believe he can be a mid-round pick with a little bit of luck.
  • Tim Fleischer is one of the if not the smartest player in the DNL. I always said I love his hockey sense but he has no standout skills. At the next level, I see him as a two-way player more than a scorer, but do believe he has a chance to be picked in 2019 if he has a strong year in Hamilton.

This isn't to say I'm always right – nobody is, and I'm sure some of these kids will prove me wrong – but I certainly didn't say any of the things you are referencing either.

I did not mean only you. I wrote you and others. I am sorry but see you the older post from others. And I agree with your last post.

DNL is very weak junior leauge. DNL is weaker than the slovak junior leauge so its not very relevant.

Jxhxn

Jun 30, 2018
has anyone heard of daniel pronin? Although he is not German, but has played the years in mannheim. very good and fast skater. fun to watch him. I have heard that he will play in the United States next season.

Last edited:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Your expectation in Stützles Draft is too high for me, but you can‘t help it if i prefer a different way of playing.

It’s not an expectation as much as how high I think he COULD go. As of today, he’s a first-rounder. Not that it matters, but I’ve talked to multiple USHL and CHL GMs who would’ve loved to have him and think the same.

DNL is very weak junior leauge. DNL is weaker than the slovak junior leauge so its not very relevant.

This is the league these players are playing in, so it’s 100% relevant. More difficult to predict where players will go in the NHL Draft, yes. But no less relevant than any other junior league. If Connor McDavid had played junior hockey in Germany, he’d still be the best player in the world and his German seasons would be relevant – I don’t see your point.

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
It’s not an expectation as much as how high I think he COULD go. As of today, he’s a first-rounder. Not that it matters, but I’ve talked to multiple USHL and CHL GMs who would’ve loved to have him and think the same.

This is the league these players are playing in, so it’s 100% relevant. More difficult to predict where players will go in the NHL Draft, yes. But no less relevant than any other junior league. If Connor McDavid had played junior hockey in Germany, he’d still be the best player in the world and his German seasons would be relevant – I don’t see your point.

LOL. I wrote that take comfort from success in DNL is pretty funny. Because it is very weak junior leauge. If someone has 80 points in DNL it does not mean anything. Do you know how many players had similar points in slovak junior extraliga? And where are they now? I do not understand why you mention McDavid. Such a foreign player will not play in DNL in life.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink

I thought so. Your assessments were too accurate for a mere fan.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
has anyone heard of daniel pronin? Although he is not German, but has played the years in mannheim. very good and fast skater. fun to watch him. I have heard that he will play in the United States next season.

Yes, Pronin is going to North America, but I can not tell you exactly where to go. It may be the right move for him. His achievements stagnated lately.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
...And if you have any other players you would like me to include, let me know. I appreciate any input.

No players at this time, but a few corrections on the positions in the 2002 vintage:

LW/C Daniel Bruch
LW David Diebolder
C/LW Josef Eham
LD Joshua Geuß
RD Maximilian Glötzl
C/LW Fabian Herrmann
LD Lukas Krumpe
RD Maximilian Menner
LW/C Maximilian Miller
LD Maksymilian Szuber

Regardless of the stick handling, these are the positions players prefer and played predominantly last season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lukas Reichel (16yo) is playing today for Eisbären Berlin vs Litvinov.

He just had a monster 5 Nations Tournament in Slovakia.

5-6-11 in 4 games, with one of those games being a 1-0 loss to the Czech Republic (Team GER's only loss of the tourney).

Many of those points were very important.

In all, wins over SUI and SVK were great, but coming back from something like 4-6 to beat the US 7-6 sure raised an eyebrow.

Guess who scored that 7th goal in overtime? Yep...

In the line-up tonight against Litvinov, eh? Isn't his uncle Robert running that club?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I will start updating the OPs, but it will probably take me several weeks before they are all complete.
The goalies will be missing for now, and even among skaters the initial lists will be missing a some players even important ones.

The first round of updates are done. I hope to get another one or two updates in this week.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I don't get the problem some seem to have with the Stützle hype. The kid can play. At the DNL level it sometimes seems like he doesn't even have to try very hard. Whenever he decides to turn it on he cannot be stopped. And he is a '02 in a league where most players are 2 or 3 years older. Although most of the best '99ers are playing soemwhere at the pro level (Oberliga or DEL2) instead of the DNL. Still it is no small feat and while I really like Lukas Reichel I prefer Stützle at this point. This may change in the future depending on how they develop and how their games translate at the next level.

I am just excited that we have so many great (by German standards) prospects in a single year. The '02 year could be the first to come close to the amazing year of '95, which did not just have an elite talent in Draisaitl, but also a bunch of really good players (Kahun, Tiffels, Eisenschmid, Michaelis, N.Sturm, Tuomie, J.Müller, Bender, Pfohl).
Besides Reichel and Stützle there are also Peterka, Dubé (hopefully he will play for Germany), Glötzl, F.Elias, Eham or J.Samanski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->