07.08.2023 | 15:30 | Switzerland U17 - Germany U17
08.08.2023 | 13:00 | Germany U17 - USA U17

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Here is a quick recap of the goals (for and against) from yesterday’s U20 game:

• 0:1 – A stupid no-look pass by Kechter at the Slovak blue line get picked off and results in a 2-on-0 for the Slovaks. And although they didn’t play it perfect and gave him a chance, it’s difficult to put any blame on Wolf for this one.
  • 0:2 – A shot from the blue line on the power play got blocked and fell right onto the stick of Panik and he beats Wolf clean, who had reacted to the initial shot and could not recover in time.
  • 1:2 – After Bettahar took an unnecessary major penalty and got ejected from the game for a blind side hit on Jenčko, that looked like he got the head (hard to say for sure without replay, but it looked bad), Elias managed to score shorthanded. Nieleck took advantage of some sloppy play along the boards in the offensive zone by the Slovaks. He picked up the puck and chipped it past the Slovak defender and then just beat everyone to the puck and with Elias joining the rush, the two of them created a 2-on-0 situation with 4 Slovaks on their heels. Nieleck kept his cool with a short centering pass to Elias who put it in the back of the net.
  • 1:3 – Still on the power play from the major penalty by Bettahar Slovakia restored their two-goal lead. A shot/pass ricocheted right into the slot to a Slovak forward who shot immediately. Wolf had good positioning but the puck squeezed through him somehow and trickled over the line. I am sure Wolf wants that one back.
  • 2:3 – A shot by Weber from the blueline generated a rebound that landed perfectly on the stick of Oswald in the slot, who made a nice pass against the direction of movement of the goalie to Hauf, who had drifted into an open area and shot the puck into the open net.
  • 3:3 – After Slovakia cleared the puck on a German PP, Wolf reversed the puck to Rollinger, who found Hauf with a beautiful pass through a couple of Slovaks, sending him in alone onto the goalie. Hauf made a couple of moves that did not seem to work, but stuck with it and somehow managed to get the puck across the goal line.
  • 3:4 – Panocha misses a chance to clear the puck on a Slovakian PP and instead turns the puck over. The Slovaks keep up the pressure and scores a beautiful goal as Ferkodič receives a pass behind the German goal and then feeds it back the way it came from finding Pánik near the goal who beats Wolf short side.
  • 3:5 – This time it’s Tropmann with a costly turnover at the offensive blueline, that ends up in the back of our net. Hauf tried, but was unable to bail him out, so Cedzo went on a breakaway chased by four Germans and easily beat Wolf glove side.
  • 4:5 – Oswald picks up the puck on the ensuing face off as neither center wins control, skates it into the Slovakian zone, takes a low percentage shot from the left side that just went through the goalie to cut the deficit back to one just 6 seconds after the goal against.
  • 4:6 – Another PP goal against. Momonov has no trouble against an unorganized German PK unit to find Ferkodič all alone gliding through the slot, where he went between the legs to beat Wolf.
  • 5:6 – Now it’s time for another PP goal by Germany. First Tropmann makes a really nifty play at the blueline keeping the puck in the Slovkian zone, then a little later Hauf makes a cross ice pass behind the Slovak goal to Rolling who just re-directs the puck to Tropmann who has ton of room to skate into it and beat the goalie short side with a slapshot from the right circle.
  • 6:6 – Finally our most skilled line got on the board. Krening slid the puck over to Lutz behind the Slovak goal, Kechter crashes the net where Lutz finds him and Kechter pushes the puck into the goal.
I only watched most of the second period and bits and pieces from the first period so far.

I hope to watch the whole game over the weekend. But from what I have seen I liked Lutz’ skill, he is clearly a step ahead of pretty much everyone else on the team, but I wish he was even more assertive and take the game over more than he did, because it looks like he could.

Despite a couple of mistakes that led to goals against, I mostly liked Panocha and especially Tropmann in this game. But Julius Sumpf was the one that I liked the most from our 05s in this game. In the parts I saw, he played with confidence and skill and looked to me like our second most skilled forward behind Lutz out there. Wolf did not have a good game. It reminded me a little of Oilers goalies in past seasons, whether it was Koskinen, Campbell, Smith or Skinner, they would often have games where they were not necessarily at fault for any of the goals against, but at some point, you just need your goalie to make a big stop and he was not able to do that. He also looked a bit rusty to me. And it doesn’t help the perception that Bittner kept a clean sheet until the shootout after he took over halfway through the 2nd period.

Hauf did not stand out as much as you might expect with 2 goals and an assist, but he was solid in what I saw, and he just has this knack for getting himself into positions where he can get onto the scoreboard. Very useful player to have on the team.

I may post some more if I get a chance to watch the full game on the weekend.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Watching the second game live right now. So far it is total domination. I wonder what the game will look like when the Slovaks show up, because so far they might as well not be there.

Wow, that was something else. I have no idea what was wrong with the Slovaks in that first period. Our boys put on a lot of pressure and completely dominated the play and the score of 5:0 after the first period almost flattered the Slovakian team. They showed a tiny bit of life towards the end of the period, but that looked like a score effect to me. The German team took the foot off the gas just a little bit, but overall it was still one of the most one-sided affairs I have seen and that includes all the drubbings our teams received at the hands of teams like Canada, the US or Finland over the years.

I doubt that it will continue like this, but I was just as impressed with the German team as I was shocked by the Slovaks' performance.
Some thoughts on the German team from that 1st period:
  • Lutz was great, I also really liked the rest of the line with Kechter and Krening. Those three were on another level, and it showed on the scoreboard.
  • Tropmann is my favourite D so far.
  • Sinn was a lot better than yesterday.
  • Panocha still needs to learn not to get too fancy on the PK and just get the puck out when he has the chance.
  • Rollinger gets overlooked a little by me, but he was good in what I saw from yesterday and put in another good effort so far today.
  • Sumpf not nearly as visible as yesterday, but not bad either.
  • Dietl not exactly busy, but that's not always easy for a goalie and he was there when called upon.
  • The depth guys like Nieleck, Sivic, Anton etc. all doing their jobs.
  • The line of Hauf, Oswald and Hördler has been mostly invisible offensively, but they're not hurting the team, so no problem there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Second period is over score is 7:0.
This period was less dominating, but the Slovaks remained a non-factor and Germany didn't do much more than they had to.

Few thoughts to add to the ones mentioned above:
  • Nifosi had a couple nice moments defensively. Like Rollinger he is a guy I tend to overlook a bit.
  • Hübner similarly made a couple of solid defensive plays.
  • Panocha showed a few glimpses, but Tropmann is still clearly the top 05-player today.
  • The line with Hauf got more involved and was the only one that actually played better than in the first. Though to be fair they had by far the most room to improve.
  • Dietl continued to be solid and is making a case to be given some serious consideration for starter at the WJC.
  • Shout out to whoever is responsible for the music in the arena, Sabaton, Nightwish, Disturbed, etc. Right up my alley.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
From the Slovaks point of view, I guess the best thing is that it remained in single digits? But seriously losing to this German U20 team by a score of 9:0 is embarassing even if you consider all the top players they're missing.
I did not focus much on the Slovaks, but to me the only guy that I noticed more than once for a positive reason was Kukumberg, one of their 05s.

As for our team my final thought to add:
  • Lutz was a treat to watch. I have never seen him this good with any of the national teams, really impressive.
  • Sumpf had a much stronger finish than start to the game. At next years' WJC (at least if they avoid relegation this year) our offense will likely go as far as he can carry it. Yes, I know there will be Bicker and Brandl and a few others, but they are more players that can pounce on opportunities, Sumpf is a guy that can really create offense.
  • Bittner did a really good job coming in at the halfway point to keep the Slovaks goalless. He made a few really nice stops and got lucky once when Slovakia hit the post/crossbar. It had been a while since I had really seen him, and he looked good, much better than I remember.
  • I swear there was a German player with #7, but nobody is listed with that number on the roster I have. No idea who it was and he did not stand out, just weird that I cannot find him on the roster.
I am trying not to get too excited and to remember that this really isn't a strong team we have. It shouldn't be too difficult, because this game just feels like such an outlier. I am still trying to figure out what I have just watched. But it was a lot of fun so I don't regret paying for it. Except for one thing. That AI controlled camera was annoying. It kept panning back towards the German goalie while the puck was in the Slovakian zone all the time.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this game.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
From the Slovaks point of view, I guess the best thing is that it remained in single digits? But seriously losing to this German U20 team by a score of 9:0 is embarassing even if you consider all the top players they're missing.
I did not focus much on the Slovaks, but to me the only guy that I noticed more than once for a positive reason was Kukumberg, one of their 05s.

As for our team my final thought to add:
  • Lutz was a treat to watch. I have never seen him this good with any of the national teams, really impressive.
  • Sumpf had a much stronger finish than start to the game. At next years' WJC (at least if they avoid relegation this year) our offense will likely go as far as he can carry it. Yes, I know there will be Bicker and Brandl and a few others, but they are more players that can pounce on opportunities, Sumpf is a guy that can really create offense.
  • Bittner did a really good job coming in at the halfway point to keep the Slovaks goalless. He made a few really nice stops and got lucky once when Slovakia hit the post/crossbar. It had been a while since I had really seen him, and he looked good, much better than I remember.
  • I swear there was a German player with #7, but nobody is listed with that number on the roster I have. No idea who it was and he did not stand out, just weird that I cannot find him on the roster.
I am trying not to get too excited and to remember that this really isn't a strong team we have. It shouldn't be too difficult, because this game just feels like such an outlier. I am still trying to figure out what I have just watched. But it was a lot of fun so I don't regret paying for it. Except for one thing. That AI controlled camera was annoying. It kept panning back towards the German goalie while the puck was in the Slovakian zone all the time.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on this game.
Yeah, probably nothing can excuse the slovaks today. At most 3 defenders and 1 forward from that team will be on the WJC team

Reactions: Maverick41

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Lots of positives for Germany. Heck, scoring 15 goals within two games is a rare occurence, even if it's just summer hockey. It's a fantastic little achievement.

Great to see two lines forming that could be offensive contributors when push comes to shove in December/January.

But as for Slovakia, there's just nothing good about this performance. And although it means nothing in making a statement about this winter's WJC squad, players such as Urban, Chromiak, Barcik, Cedzo and perhaps even Panik, Ferkodic, and Krakovsky really have no business being part of a 9-0 thrashing to a nation like Germany.

Was fun to see though.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Lots of positives for Germany. Heck, scoring 15 goals within two games is a rare occurence, even if it's just summer hockey. It's a fantastic little achievement.

Great to see two lines forming that could be offensive contributors when push comes to shove in December/January.

But as for Slovakia, there's just nothing good about this performance. And although it means nothing in making a statement about this winter's WJC squad, players such as Urban, Chromiak, Barcik, Cedzo and perhaps even Panik, Ferkodic, and Krakovsky really have no business being part of a 9-0 thrashing to a nation like Germany.

Was fun to see though.

If nothing else, it really made me excited about the upcoming season of Julian Lutz.
It also restored some of my faith in the top of that 05 group. Sumpf really seems to be progressing nicely and I haven't seen Tropmann play this well in a while.

Now for the Hlinka. Hopefully that team does also perform well.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
If nothing else, it really made me excited about the upcoming season of Julian Lutz.
It also restored some of my faith in the top of that 05 group. Sumpf really seems to be progressing nicely and I haven't seen Tropmann play this well in a while.

Now for the Hlinka. Hopefully that team does also perform well.
I don't think this really changes anything about what we all said on here about the 05 group in the past. As a whole, they suck. But individual players, namely Panocha, Tropmann, Sumpf, Bicker, possibly Brandl and Mayer, are still promising. And I think we also all agreed that there's no way this group deserved to be relegated based on individual talent, and the only reasonable explanation for why it happened anyway is coaching.

Reactions: Huusko

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Well, that first game at the Hlinka could have ended with a better result.

I am not gonna go to deeply into it, but here are some of my opinions on the game.

Overall:
  • The team started really well, Carlos Händel had the first really great chance of the game and almost gave them the lead.
  • For the the first 15 minutes of the first period and then again the first 8-10 minutes of the second period the team played well. They showed some confidence and actually generated a few decent chances
  • Overall however, they were clearly outmatched and could not keep up with the Swedes. With every additional goal against they appeared to become more timid and in the third period they went from trying to play a complete game to just looking for their spots to maybe score another goal, while they mostly stopped skating on defense just hangin' their goalie out to dry.
Individual players/lines:
  • Underwhelming game by my favourite line (Lewandowski-Griva-Griva). The couldn't really get anything going. Every now and then they showed a small glimpse by making a nice little pass through traffic and things like that, but overall this was a little less than I had hoped for, though it was roughly what I expected.
  • Elias Pul demonstrated again why he was the only 06 on the U18 team last year. He was by far the most noticeable and effective forward out there. I am really liking his development this last two years.
  • A few others showed some flashes during the stretches in the first two periods when the team played well. In particular I noticed Tobias Schwarz, Clemens Sager and Maximilian Oswald a few times, but all in all the forwards were rather disappointing.
  • I thought Lennart Neiße had a really strong start. Unfortunately later on he made a couple of bad mistakes like failing to cover up the puck properly. Considering he gave up 11 goals against, I still thought he was actually pretty good, making some really big stops and tracking the puck well when it was in front of him. However, he seemed to have problems multiple time figuring out where the puck was after he made the initial save. Still looking at most of the goals he gave up and the overall performance of the team in front of him it's hard to blame him, and I still think he is the best goalie prospect we have among the 06s.
  • Carlos Händel was in my opinion our best player, despite one horrible turnover early on where he got bailed out bei Neiße who made a great save. Almost every time they managed a controlled transition game or they generated anything offensively (not counting accidental chances) it started with Händel.
  • Schams and Hense also had a few nice plays and so did Merkl, but for them it was more bad than good (not surprising in a 1-11 loss). Händel was the only one that had more good plays than bad.
  • It was nice to see Rio Kaiser in a full game for the first time in a long while. He is still so extremely raw, but I also thought he has clearly improved. Not enough for me to believe he will likely be drafted in 2025, but his board play has really improved at least against his peers. If he can translate that to the pro level and work on the rest of his game he could turn into something (not talking NHL player here). He also gave me a good laugh at one point when he was down on one knee in the corner and still taller than the Swedish player that was hunting for the puck next to him.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I honestly don't understand why Kaiser is still getting at least a little bit of hype or even any interest at all. If he wasn't as tall as he is, he wouldn't have been a CHL pick, he wouldn't have got a contract in Berlin, he probably wouldn't be on the Hlinka roster. He's this year's Paul Mayer but worse.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I honestly don't understand why Kaiser is still getting at least a little bit of hype or even any interest at all. If he wasn't as tall as he is, he wouldn't have been a CHL pick, he wouldn't have got a contract in Berlin, he probably wouldn't be on the Hlinka roster. He's this year's Paul Mayer but worse.

To be fair, a 16-year-old his size is going to be grappling with all sorts of coordination problems.

For many of the deficiencies we've seen at this Hlinka tournament, one played in the middle of the summer with little preparation, there's plenty of time for them to be weeded and coached out of his system. He's also been seeing competition he's not really used to, with the exception - I assume - of some of the Czech players. For certain, he's been involved in many situations where the game just looks too fast for him. And he's done some not so good things with the puck on his stick.

Were this the WJC and he 19, then there'd be stronger reason to believe he couldn't become anything more than maybe an Oliver Mebus or Max Gläßl based on what he's doing out there.

Now, I'm not making a direct comparison here, but I remember well (yes, I'm old) how many problems Zdeno Chara had in his youth and when he was in the WHL. Heck, even when he first came up with the Islanders, it did not look good out there.

I also remember being at a Hlinka Tourney in Piestany when Brandon Carlo played for the US. He wasn't great, to put it simply. But 1.5 years later I saw him at the WJC in Finland and he was on the first D pairing with McAvoy - and looked fantastic! He was a stalwart.

I only mention this to say that there's some precedence to kids his size at such a young age needing more time than most to reach certain heights. And only a few will anyways.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So far I have only watched most of the 1st period of the U17 against Czechia (I have to watch the rest of the game later), and I have no idea what caused the coaches of the U18 not to select Willhöft.

Obviously, the quality of competition is not anywhere near the same as at the Hlinka (I doubt that this is even close to the best U17 team the Czechs could muster), but it's just so obvious that Willhöft ist better than most of the roster we had at the Hlinka.
Also some good stuff from some of the other players in that 1st period.

I'll post some more about it once I watched the rest of the game.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I was too tired to post anything after I finished watching the game yesterday and I did not take any notes so this is from memory only.
Another huge problem is that I did not have a roster with all the numbers. They showed a line up with numbers at the start of the game, but I don't know how reliable that was, because there were players on the ice with numbers that were not listed.
There are some players I am familiar enough with that I recognised them easily (Willhöft, Händel, Lewandowski, Schneider), but with some others I cannot be entirely sure.

Overall I thought the team played ok. They started ot pretty good and for long stretches were equal to the Czechs. They even opened the scoring with Lewandowski bagning home a beautiful pass by Willhöft from behind the goal line.
As the game went on the Czechs became, for the lack of a better term, more dominant, but the Germans continued to be dangerous and even if Czechia carried most of the play, especially in the second half of the game, it never felt like our team was outmatched.
They even took the lead again in the second period when Schneider converted a penalty shot. Unfortunately the lead did not last long and by the end of the second period the Czechs had taken the lead 3-2.
They added two more goals in the third when they really dominated the play in part because they spend a lot of it on the power play. And while our penalty kill was not very good overall, on one instance Willhöft pressured the defenseman at the blueline blocked his shot/pass and scored shorthanded on the breakaway.

Goalie:
I thought Stuhrmann did a solid job in goal. He made some nice saves, and his rebound control was fairly good.

Defense:
One of the worst games I have seen Carlos Händel play and he was still not terrible. Nobody on defense really stood out in a good way, also not in a bad way, although I would say there was slightly more bad than good from most of our defensemen. Kose and Hempel had a couple of nice plays offensively, Hempel also defensively. Bleicher was mostly invisible, which is not a bad thing.

Forwards:
I already mentioned Willhöft who, reminds me a little bit of Tim Stützle, not that I think he will be anywhere near that good, it's just the way he seems to find the puck, or the puck finds him out there, and how he just makes the game his. He played very strong 5-on-5 and shorthanded, on the power play the whole team sucked.

Lewandowski showed some of traits we did not really see at the Hlinka a few days earlier. He protected the puck well, made some nice passes and I thought his stickhandling looked improved from last season. Playing with Willhöft certainly helped.

Schneider was a mixed bag for me, on one hand he showed why he scores so many goals in juniors, he could turn into a decent power forward that scores around the net, in the mold of David Wolf. On the other hand I do question his hockey sense a bit, he did not recognise some obvious plays to make out there that would have resulted in almost certain goals.

Other forwards that I thought were noticeable, were Nikita Kessler, Sebastian Zwickl and Karl Pohle. Another guy I noticed a lot both in a good and a bad way was Pepino Langmeier. He fell down quite a bit, but he also was very engaged and tried to make things happen. Unfortunately that resulted multiple times in him trying to go 1-on-3 or 1-on-4, so he was basically taking on the entire Czech team. On the plus side, when he did so he did not lose the puck immediately, but managed to hold on for a bit and almost make a play to a teammate. He has some puck protection and stickhandling skill, but his decision making was not looking too good.

Overall I have to say our kids lack awareness out there and with that I mean everyone, including Willhöft and Lewandowski. At least three times (once it was Schneider, once it was Willhöft, but I can't remember the third one) they made risky and plainly stupid plays that resulted in turnovers as their linemates (including the defensemen) were changing, giving the Czechs free breakaways, one of which resulted in a goal against.
When your entire group has been on the ice too long and they all need a change, you cannot go and try dekeing and dangling your way through the opposing defense, especially in the 2nd period when you have the long change.

Looking forward to the rest of the games, although I am not sure when I will be able to watch each game, since I am fairly busy with both work and in my free time. I am getting back into video games in my old age with Baldur's Gate 3. It has been quite a while since I played a new game except for a couple of smaller ones that did not take up a lot of time.

Reactions: Huusko

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Was able to watch the second game of the U17 tournament. They lost 3-6 to Slovakia. For two periods I thought they were the better team, or at the very least equal. In the third the Slovaks were better.
My observations about the German players were not so different from the first game, so I'll try to keep it short.

Händel looked better in this game, closer to the level I usually expect from him. No other defensemen really stood out. Like in the first game Fabio Kose showed some offensive flair, but did not always play it as smart as I would have liked. Still, so far he has been more good than bad. Max Bleicher scored a goal with pretty nice slapshot after a Slovak turnover near their own blueline, gave him a short breakaway.

In goal Oswald gave a similar performance to Stuhrmann against the Czechs. Mostly solid, some good saves, but nothing spectacular. He really struggled with deflections (many goalies do). This has to be addressed with the d-men in front of him. They need to do a better job to tie up the forwards. Though kudos to the Slovaks, they did a good job getting their sticks to the pucks on their way to the net.

There was a change among forwards. Maxim Schäfer replaced Timo Kose. I really liked the first two lines. The second line with Kessler (who I am liking more and more), Zwickl and Schneider did well for the most part.
The top line (Willhöft, Ziergiebel, Lewandowski) was still the top line, though and Willhöft was driving the play on that line all game.
On the third line both Pohle and Langmeier were significantly worse than the day before. They were still noticeable, but mostly for things that went wrong. They were still trying things and were aggressive out there and with a little luck they may have had a much more positive impact on the game. Will be interesting to see how they respond. Their linemate Kronhardt was by far the best player on the line but was hindered by the other two at times.
The fourth line was lacking chemistry, but all three players (Schroth, Kaufmann and Schäfer) were active and working hard, but let's just say all their work resulted in a bunch of "almost".

The power play did a lot better this game. Still not great overall, but better than against the Czechs. They even scored an Oileresque goal with Willhöft playing the part of McDavid connecting with a cross-ice feed to Lewandowski, playing the part of Draisaitl, at the right circle, who finished with a one-timer from one knee.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Third game, third time they started well, only for everything to fall apart some time in the 2nd period. I'm beginning to notice a pattern here.
They dominated the first period against the Swiss, but went into the break only up 1-0. They doubled the lead in the second period and were fully in control of the game until they got stupid and gifted Switzerland their first goal when Kose turned the puck over in the high slot just serving it up on a silver platter for a Swiss slapshot. After that the entire team crumbled. No idea if they are all just mentally weak, or if the coaches are incapable to re-focus the team, but by the time the game was over the better team won and it was not Germany. How they can just fold so completely after they were fully in charge for half the game, is beyond me and especially after the previous two games followed a similar pattern.

The seem unable to handle adversity, which sucks because there was some good stuff in this game too, but it's difficult to get excited about it, when they just can't get the job done. Once again Willhöft was the most exciting player out there, but again it all feels a bit hollow.

Today will be the 4th game in as many days and against the US. I've got a feeling this could get ugly.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Turns out I was optimistic when I thought it might get ugly against the US.

Even though he gave up a weak rebound that lead to the first goal against a few seconds in, I felt sorry for Stuhrmann. The rest of the team might as well have left, for all the lack of defensive contributions they made. It was not that they did not put in any effort, they sort of tried, but it just made no difference. The US boys were just skating circles around everyone.
It is so weird how these guys can keep things so close for a lot of the game against the Czechs, but be utterly outclassed by the US, when the Czechs were able to beat the US.
The only thing I can think off is that the schedule was a key contributing factor and they just did not have any legs left in the fourth game in as many days against a strong opponent.

Now as far as the whole tournament is concerned here are the players that rose and fell in my estimation (for Händel and Lewandowski I also included the Hlinka in my consideration).

Rising (in no particular order):
Dustin Willhöft
Nikita Kessler
Sebastian Zwickl
Carlos Händel
Karl Pohle
Fabio Kose
Matteo Schroth
*This doesn't mean I thought these were the best players. Those I had ranked lower until now had an easier time to make this list. For example Lewandowski was better than most on this list, but it was not enough to improve my opinion of him any further. The same in reverse is true for the players on the "falling" list.

Falling:
Maxim Schäfer
Timo Kose
Albert Bicker
Bartholomäus Oswald

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The only thing I can think off is that the schedule was a key contributing factor and they just did not have any legs left in the fourth game in as many days against a strong opponent.

This cannot be understated. 4 games in 4 days in the middle of summer is a heavy load. That group is full of some sore young men.

Händel and Lewandowski already had 3-4 HG Cup games under their belts too.

Many of the goals against were fully unnecessary. It looked a lot like summer hockey.

Now as far as the whole tournament is concerned here are the players that rose and fell in my estimation (for Händel and Lewandowski I also included the Hlinka in my consideration).

Rising (in no particular order):
Dustin Willhöft
Nikita Kessler
Sebastian Zwickl
Carlos Händel
Karl Pohle
Fabio Kose
Matteo Schroth

I saw some real good things from Bleicher and Schneider as well.

Offensively, I found it interesting that Lewandowski, to me, looked better with Willhöft than at any point in the HGC with the Grivas.

Different level, but there was simply more synergy there. Maybe because Willhöft can drive play at times?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The seem unable to handle adversity, which sucks because there was some good stuff in this game too, but it's difficult to get excited about it, when they just can't get the job done. Once again Willhöft was the most exciting player out there, but again it all feels a bit hollow.

It got frustrating to watch, but what you say here about Willhöft is what is most important about this event.

The HGC is a scouts' tournament, but for the DEB - which doesn't yet have a head coach for the U18 - it was also the first step in preparing for the next U18 Worlds in the B group, with a task to gain immediate promotion. We all got to see who is going to be a key factor in such an endeavor and, well, which guys will need to pick things up this winter.

This 5 Nations Tournament surely gave some insight into who should be taken into consideration for that U18 team looking to gain promotion next spring.

Willhöft would seem to be the clear-cut best candidate. A few others did some good things and have definitely placed their names in the hat.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I saw some real good things from Bleicher and Schneider as well.

Offensively, I found it interesting that Lewandowski, to me, looked better with Willhöft than at any point in the HGC with the Grivas.

Different level, but there was simply more synergy there. Maybe because Willhöft can drive play at times?

I based the risers and fallers on my own rankings, and while I also thought Bleicher in particular looked good at times (Schneider too, but to a lesser degree, same with Hempel and Kaufmann), but since I have already ranked Bleicher and Schneider pretty high they will likely not rise in my rankings.
I mean there is no way they move ahead of Händel, Lewandowski or Willhöft, and I am not ready to move either of them ahead of the Griva twins just yet, despite their disappointing showing at the Hlinka. They are more likely to lose a spot, since Kessler was maybe the player that impressed me the most in this tournament, after Willhöft of course.

I think both the Hlinka and this tournament have illustrated that the level of competition in the DNL may just not be good enough for the kids to keep up with the international competition in such tournaments. Once again it were the guys playing in Sweden (Willhöft, Händel) or at least face some international competition playing in Salzburg (Kessler, Pul) that performed much better than the highly touted (by me at least) players still stuck in juniors in Germany.
It must be such a shock, when you are used to dominating the competition at home and then you step on the ice with guys playing at a level you have never seen before. Not sure what the solution is except sending all our best prospects abroad, which would then leave the DNL even weaker.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I based the risers and fallers on my own rankings, and while I also thought Bleicher in particular looked

Ahhh, ok.

good at times (Schneider too, but to a lesser degree, same with Hempel and Kaufmann), but since I have already ranked Bleicher and Schneider pretty high they will likely not rise in my rankings.

Enjoyed his jump and felt he showed some heady play at times in all four games.

I mean there is no way they move ahead of Händel, Lewandowski or Willhöft, and I am not ready to move either of them ahead of the Griva twins just yet, despite their disappointing showing at the Hlinka. They are more likely to lose a spot, since Kessler was maybe the player that impressed me the most in this tournament, after Willhöft of course.

Which number was Kessler?

I think both the Hlinka and this tournament have illustrated that the level of competition in the DNL may just not be good enough for the kids to keep up with the international competition in such tournaments. Once again it were the guys playing in Sweden (Willhöft, Händel) or at least face some international competition playing in Salzburg (Kessler, Pul) that performed much better than the highly touted (by me at least) players still stuck in juniors in Germany.

I think the U20 and U18 teams will be at least 50% comprised of players playing outside of Germany (RB Academy included) or already pro (including Oberliga) for several years coming.

The DNL is too far behind the other junior leagues and, of course, many of these DNL kids are already heading to pro clubs by 18.

I'm not sure anything can be done to change things unless there's some stipulation in place stating that somehow every DNL-capable player 19 (if not 20!) or younger playing in Germany has to suit up for a certain amount of regular season games in the DNL and must be available for all playoff games.

Which I wouldn't even think can really be regulated (from a legal standpoint).

It must be such a shock, when you are used to dominating the competition at home and then you step on the ice with guys playing at a level you have never seen before. Not sure what the solution is except sending all our best prospects abroad, which would then leave the DNL even weaker.

I had to think about how a good handful of the guys at the HGC, including first liners like Schwarz and Seidl, were pretty much coming straight out of the top U17 league.

What a world of difference it must of been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad