Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Just to recap.
From the boxscores of these pre-tournament games were:

vs. SVK (5-0 W)
1-0 Quirin Bader (Roman Kechter, Philipp Krening)
2-0 Roman Kechter (Veit Oswald, Philipp Krening)
3-0 Philipp Krening (Veit Oswald, Leon van der Linde)
4-0 Bennet Roßmy (Nils Elten, Nikolaus Heigl)
5-0 Quirin Bader (Veit Oswald, Philip Sinn)

GK: Simon Wolf (33/33 Saves) - 1.000

vs. AUT (3-4 OTL)
1-0 Roman Kechter (Ryan Del Monte, Philipp Krening)
2-3 Philipp Krening (Julian Wäser)
3-3 Haakon Hänelt (Yannick Proske)

GK: Rihards Babulis (23/27 Saves) - 0.852

vs. LVA (6-3 W)
1-1 Luca Hauf (Adrian Klein, Nils Elten) *
2-1 Ryan Del Monte
3-1 Nikolaus Heigl
4-1 Ryan Del Monte (Nils Elten, Luca Hauf)
5-3 Nils Elten (Nikolaus Heigl, Yannick Proske)
6-3 Sebastian Cimmerman (Robin van Calster)

GK: Nikita Quapp (38/41 Saves) - 0.927

* On the DEB website they say Hauf scored in the 6th minute of play to make it 1-0 for Germany, but in the boxscore provided by Hockey Canada it says he scored with 6 minutes to go in the first period to tie the game at 1. Not sure which is correct, but I went with the information from the boxscore.

Not that surprising, but still encouraging that the scoring seems to be spread out across a many of the forwards.
While there is not a lot of elite skill on this team, the depth at forward is pretty decent. Interesting that Julian Lutz did not make it on the scoresheet in these games.

The defense still worries me, but at least we should be fine in goal.
Overall, I am still just hoping they manage to avoid relegation this year and then hopefully ice a more balanced and slightly stronger team next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
With Germany's tourney now over, we can start thinking about who's going to be part of the fun at the tourney in Sweden next winter.

Clear is, the following players are eligible to return...
G: Wolf
D: Bettahar, Sinn
F: Hauf, Hördler, Kechter, Krening, Lutz, Oswald

Of this class/group of players, I can definitely see the following players edging their way into the conversation:
G: Dietl
D: Hübner, Weber
F: Elias, Gaidel, Krymskiy, Rollinger

The U18 Worlds in Switzerland will play a big role again, especially with Abstreiter being the assistant coach. He'll get a good long look at a number of possibilities.

At the moment, I'm thinking the following players are chief on the to-view list:
G: Pertuch, Döge
D: Bosecker, Mayer, Tropmann, Niehus
F: Bicker, Brandl, Herzog, Rückdaschel, Sumpf, Vinzenz

The bolded are players I feel will definitely be part of the team come next DEC 26th. I can even see three of those Dmen being part of the fray.

Any other thoughts?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
During the Christmas break I tried to guess/predict the WJC rosters for the next 4 years, as a bit of a joke. I picked a couple of additional players (23 in total) and this is what I came up with at this point:

PosFirst NameLast Name
GKValentinAnkirchner
GKPhilippDietl
GKSimonWolf
DRayanBettahar
DNiklasHübner
DJesseKauhanen
DPaulMayer
DLuaNiehus
DPhillipSinn
DEdwinTropmann
DJakobWeber
FKevinBicker
FLinusBrandl
FMoritzElias
FLucaHauf
FEricHördler
FEdmundJunemann
FRomanKechter
FPhilippKrening
FJulianLutz
FLennardNieleck
FVeitOswald
FTimoRuckdäschel

I assume in reality there will be a couple fewer 05s on the roster.

If anybody wants to have a laugh down the road let me know and I'll post my way premature roster "predictions" for the following three years as well.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
During the Christmas break I tried to guess/predict the WJC rosters for the next 4 years, as a bit of a joke. I picked a couple of additional players (23 in total) and this is what I came up with at this point:

PosFirst NameLast Name
GKValentinAnkirchner
GKPhilippDietl
GKSimonWolf
DRayanBettahar
DNiklasHübner
DJesseKauhanen
DPaulMayer
DLuaNiehus
DPhillipSinn
DEdwinTropmann
DJakobWeber
FKevinBicker
FLinusBrandl
FMoritzElias
FLucaHauf
FEricHördler
FEdmundJunemann
FRomanKechter
FPhilippKrening
FJulianLutz
FLennardNieleck
FVeitOswald
FTimoRuckdäschel

I assume in reality there will be a couple fewer 05s on the roster.

If anybody wants to have a laugh down the road let me know and I'll post my way premature roster "predictions" for the following three years as well.

I know too little about Junemann, but mentioning Nieleck is very astute.

The size is simply uncanny for a player his age. I sure hope we see him a bit more in Herne, because he's certainly looked capable of impacting a game at the Oberliga level.

Kauhanen has long been one of my faves, but just hasn't been able to take that next step this past year. I thought it would come this season. I would never have imagined Sinn taking the steps he has for the RBJs this season while Kauhanen fails to do so. I'd have thought it'd be the opposite.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
To add a little more context about my thought process behind that roster:

I have seen Junemann a few times in the DEL and while he does not stand out that much, he seems like a good guy to have on the roster or as a potential stand-by player in case of injuries. In what I have seen he appeared to have a good hard working attitude, he seems physically mature, although he is not overly tall, it just seems he has already grown into his body.
I just have the feeling like he is the type of player coaches really like to have around. So, when I ran out of players I thought had to be there, he was one of the first I used to fill out the remaining spots.

I think Nieleck's move back to Iserlohn (I believe he had played there as a kid too) really helped him. But overall it was a similar situation for me as it was with Junemann. I had a couple of spots open and decided to go with those two. Other forwards I considered were Krymskiy, Rollinger and Assavolyuk.

Kauhanen ended up taking the final dmen spot, mostly on a hunch. I haven't really seen him play in two years or so.
There were not many 2004 dmen to consider really. Bettahar, Sinn, Hübner and Weber were mostly no-brainers and I had already added three 2005 dmen and wasn't really comfortable with the next ones up from that year. So I went with another '04 and since Hafenrichter (who I had always liked) has kind of fallen off badly, there were not many options left. Kauhanen had always been right there in the conversation for me.
The only other options I considered were Nifosi, Grasmik, Krebietke and M.Reich. For a second I thought about Mason Sturm, but I don't think that will happen.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think Nieleck's move back to Iserlohn (I believe he had played there as a kid too) really helped him. But overall it was a similar situation for me as it was with Junemann. I had a couple of spots open and decided to go with those two. Other forwards I considered were Krymskiy, Rollinger and Assavolyuk.

All good stuff, as usual!

I think any of the kids who are currently 18 and taking a regular shift in the DEL2 have to be seen as strong candidates for next winter's outfit. There are just too few who can show that kind of experience.

So, Krymskiy is definitely that. Elias is as well, but you do have him listed.

I generally agree that the DEB is not leaving Rollinger out of the equation at this point. By next fall, I'm pretty certain he'll be taking a regular shift in the DEL2.

Kauhanen ended up taking the final dmen spot, mostly on a hunch. I haven't really seen him play in two years or so. There were not many 2004 dmen to consider really. Bettahar, Sinn, Hübner and Weber were mostly no-brainers and I had already added three 2005 dmen and wasn't really comfortable with the next ones up from that year. So I went with another '04 and since Hafenrichter (who I had always liked) has kind of fallen off badly, there were not many options left. Kauhanen had always been right there in the conversation for me.

Hafenrichter has fallen off, but there's plenty of time between now and December. He's taking a pretty regular shift for Bad Nauheim. The DEB tends to take the kids aging out into better consideration.

The question for him is if that which has him "falling off" is in his head or even a result of outside pressures? Or was he just not as talented as thought when he was 15?

That he's been sticking in the DEL2 should mean something. But what? And what will it mean to the DEB if the next Deutschland Cup rolls around and Hafenrichter is sitting there with something like 2-7-9 in the DEL2? Gotta think Abstreiter is taking him to whatever country game break is going on.

The only other options I considered were Nifosi, Grasmik, Krebietke and M.Reich. For a second I thought about Mason Sturm, but I don't think that will happen.

Nifosi is making the most strides this season, but looks as underdeveloped physically as he is.
Grasmik needs to be seen at the pro level to get a better idea of what he's about. His DNL play is above average.
Krebietke already has 47 games of Oberliga experience spread out over three seasons. But when does he start contributing?

Michael Reich would be the most established of these four. Could be a regular #6 Dman for Landshut come the fall.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
All good stuff, as usual!

I think any of the kids who are currently 18 and taking a regular shift in the DEL2 have to be seen as strong candidates for next winter's outfit. There are just too few who can show that kind of experience.

So, Krymskiy is definitely that. Elias is as well, but you do have him listed.

I generally agree that the DEB is not leaving Rollinger out of the equation at this point. By next fall, I'm pretty certain he'll be taking a regular shift in the DEL2.

Hafenrichter has fallen off, but there's plenty of time between now and December. He's taking a pretty regular shift for Bad Nauheim. The DEB tends to take the kids aging out into better consideration.

The question for him is if that which has him "falling off" is in his head or even a result of outside pressures? Or was he just not as talented as thought when he was 15?

That he's been sticking in the DEL2 should mean something. But what? And what will it mean to the DEB if the next Deutschland Cup rolls around and Hafenrichter is sitting there with something like 2-7-9 in the DEL2? Gotta think Abstreiter is taking him to whatever country game break is going on.

Nifosi is making the most strides this season, but looks as underdeveloped physically as he is.
Grasmik needs to be seen at the pro level to get a better idea of what he's about. His DNL play is above average.
Krebietke already has 47 games of Oberliga experience spread out over three seasons. But when does he start contributing?

Michael Reich would be the most established of these three. Could be a regular #6 Dman for Landshut come the fall.

Thanks for the feedback. I always appreciate your thoughts on these things.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The u17 team beat Finland 5:4 in OT at the EYOF. Not sure about the importance of the tournament, but a nice result anyway!

I completely forgot that this thing was going on again. The DEB does not seem to think much of it since they are not even mentioning it on their website.
On the other hand they are sending a pretty good team.

For more context a few stats and the teams' rosters.

Finland:
#NamePosition
1​
VEETI LOUHIVAARAGoalkeeper
30​
AATU MYLLYKANGASGoalkeeper
2​
ONNI AMHAMDIDefence
3​
VEIKKA MONONENDefence
4​
TONI NYMANDefence
6​
HEIKKI PEIPINENDefence
7​
ATTE VIKLADefence
8​
VILJAMI VUORINENDefence
11​
MATVEY BUTKOVSKIYForward
12​
VERTTI HAIKALAForward
13​
AATU HEINANENForward
14​
JOAKIM HIRSCHOVITSForward
15​
JONATAN HIRSCHOVITSForward
16​
ROBIN HUTTUNENForward
18​
AATU KARVINENForward
19​
BENJAMIN PIETILAForward
20​
KASPER PIKKARAINENForward
21​
TUUKKA HEISKANENForward
22​
LEO MIKAEL TUUVAForward
23​
ROOPE RAJALA (C)Forward

Germany:
#NamePosition
30​
LUKAS STUHRMANNGoalkeeper
31​
LINUS VIEILLARDGoalkeeper
6​
MANUEL SCHAMS (C)Defence
10​
MAX BLEICHERDefence
12​
FINN SERIKOWDefence
14​
NOAH HAHNDefence
19​
MAXIMILIAN MERKLDefence
20​
JACOB FICENECDefence
5​
MAX HERZOGForward
7​
DUSTIN WILLHOEFTForward
11​
CLEMENS SAGERForward
13​
Felix KERBELForward
15​
DAVID LEWANDOWSKIForward
17​
MATEU SPAETHForward
21​
SIMON SEIDLForward
22​
MAXIMILIAN OSWALDForward
23​
ELIAS PULForward
24​
TOBIAS SCHWARZForward
27​
RIHARDS GRIVAForward
28​
GUSTAVS GRIVAForward

I have no idea how close the Finish roster is to their strongest, but the German roster is pretty close to the best we can offer.
The Finns outshot our boys 34 to 20.

Linus Vieillard was the goalie for Germany making 30 saves.

The scoring summary:

ScorePeriodTimeGoalscorerAssist 1Assist 2
0-1105:48J. HIRSCHOVITST. HEISKANEN
1-1114:11D. LEWANDOWSKIR. GRIVAG. GRIVA
1-2118:26A. KARVINENM. BUTKOVSKIY
2-2216:18M. SCHAMSD. LEWANDOWSKIG. GRIVAPP1
2-3301:09M. BUTKOVSKIYA. KARVINENL. TUUVA
2-4308:31H. PEIPINENA. KARVINEN
3-4313:57D. WILLHOEFTM. SPAETH
4-4317:51S. SEIDLT. SCHWARZ
5-4OT03:57E. PULG. GRIVAGWG

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
No, I have been looking for some kind of video for the last hour or so, but with no success.
I wasn't even aware, that this tournament was going on, until @Daeni10 posted about the win against Finland on the Germany board.

Then I checked the website for the boxscore, but could not find any links to videos. There is nothing on the official youtube channel either.
I am not of facebook or instagram so I have no idea if there is anything to find there.

I wish I knew how good this team Finland was, if they were missing many top players, or not. In the past they have sent good teams to this event. But I know nothing about this age group of the Finns.
This is definitely a “B“, maybe even “C” team Finland sent.

No Vesterinen, Hemming, Väisänen, Kiviharju, Vesterine, Helanias and the list goes on and on of guys that could be there but aren’t. the only real name that stands out as a guy I’ve seen play is their captain, Roope Rajala. Finland has quite the good crop of 2006’s and none of them are here.

So take that for what it is worth.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This is definitely a “B“, maybe even “C” team Finland sent.

No Vesterinen, Hemming, Väisänen, Kiviharju, Vesterine, Helanias and the list goes on and on of guys that could be there but aren’t. the only real name that stands out as a guy I’ve seen play is their captain, Roope Rajala. Finland has quite the good crop of 2006’s and none of them are here.

So take that for what it is worth.

Those usually still wipe the floor with our teams, so I'll take the win. Hopefully they can also beat Slovakia to win the group and avoid Switzerland in the semi final. If they lose in regulation they would finish last, and if they lose in OT or SO they would finish second. Any win should secure them first play, unless there is some unusual tie breaker.

Also interesting when you look at all the rosters is the number of 07s on each team.

Germany - 7
Italy - 4
Slovakia - 3
Latvia - 1
Finland - 0
Switzerland - 0

ilvins

Apr 6, 2003
Latvia
Visit site
Those usually still wipe the floor with our teams, so I'll take the win. Hopefully they can also beat Slovakia to win the group and avoid Switzerland in the semi final. If they lose in regulation they would finish last, and if they lose in OT or SO they would finish second. Any win should secure them first play, unless there is some unusual tie breaker.

Also interesting when you look at all the rosters is the number of 07s on each team.

Germany - 7
Italy - 4
Slovakia - 3
Latvia - 1
Finland - 0
Switzerland - 0
You can watch games live at:
eoctv.org
On the first day watched a bit of Finland- Germany and full game Switzerland-Latvia. FIN-GER was quite good , fast paced, physical game, as this tournament is played on small ice. Finns looked a bit better, generated more chances and were more physical team. Only watched until it was 4:2 Finland, so have no idea how the germans turned it around in the end. Grivas looked a bit soft to me and were pushed around quite a bit, but I liked their good, quick passes and offensive potential.
Switzerland looked really good against Latvia, much stronger team than latvians. It was 5:0 after the 2nd period , and in the third their were taking it easy, trying fancy moves and not playing that fast anymore. Score could have been higher if they wouldn't let up.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Just taking a little break from work to give a little more information about the game of the U17 team vs. Slovakia at the EYOF yesterday.
Compared to the game vs. Finland I was less disappointed with the older players (born in 2006). The 07s still carried most of the play. The Griva twins and Dustin Willhöft stood out in particular, but all the younger players except goalie Lukas Stuhrmann were at least solid. Like all defensemen Max Bleicher struggled at times, but also had some really good moments.
Overall, defense and goaltending were meh (some of the forwards could have helped more defensively as well).
But the offense (including the offense by the defensemen) looked really good at times.

Among the older kids Tobias Schwarz and Simon Seidl were the most noticeable for me, not just because they got on the scoresheet.

Tim Schütz, one of three notable missing players (Carlos Händel and Maximilian Brunner are the others) could really help this team.

One thing I really did not like was the decision making with the empty net. Eventually they got the goal, but before that it was like watching the Oilers with an empty net. Total dumpster fire and one terrible decision followed by another. I think it was after the second icing when they finally got the puck out and gained the red line, but instead of just playing it deep or even try for a goal and go for a change, all three forwards stayed on trying to score, and failing at it in a laughably fashion, and were ultimately stuck on the ice again.
Finally they got a whistle, got a line change and then scored.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
One thing I really did not like was the decision making with the empty net. Eventually they got the goal, but before that it was like watching the Oilers with an empty net. Total dumpster fire and one terrible decision followed by another. I think it was after the second icing when they finally got the puck out and gained the red line, but instead of just playing it deep or even try for a goal and go for a change, all three forwards stayed on trying to score, and failing at it in a laughably fashion, and were ultimately stuck on the ice again.
Finally they got a whistle, got a line change and then scored.

Good stuff, as always.

Reading this last paragraph, I'd had visions of the WJC game against Austria once the Austrians pulled their goalie and Germany missed out on what should have been 100% empty net goals on two occasions.

Looks like it runs in the family.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Alright - here were my notes from the game against Finland - I’ll have to watch the Slovakia game sometime today - I also made a video of some of the more impressive moments from the team in the game. I’ll see if I can get that rendered and posted by tomorrow.

#19 Merkl:

Very confident on the power play zipping passes over to teammates - ran the PP real well. Showed off his skating ability a few times - a kid that has size, speed and good acceleration.

As he went to retrieve the puck behind the net on PP; he underskated the puck and because of it Germany lost ~20 seconds on the PP. Puck retrievals is a place of weakness of him - wasn’t the only time I saw him hesitate with this throughout the game.

#27 R.Griva

Very good anticipation in the defensive zone reading the play and causing the turnover - then turned on the jets, made a nice pass over to Lewandowski and he boxed out Finnish defender #4 so Lewandowski could have a clean look at the net. Excellent sequence from this line. Very smart player that is always thinking one play ahead.

#28 G.Griva

Great job at scanning the ice and knowing where his teammates are at all times. He is just as proficient at making a pass in front of him as he is behind him - especially to his twin brother, where they obviously have phenomenal chemistry together. Just after a line change, R.Griva makes a no look pass through the middle of the ice where Rihards was going to be. Impressive pass even if it was broken up by a Finnish defender. Gustavs seems to be more of the playmaker between him and his brother.

#15 D.Lewandowski

Started off the game with a massive hit on the Finnish player and played quite physical throughout - almost impossible to knock this kid off balance. Does a great job at seeing that Griva will intercept the pass so he jumps at the opportunity on the 2on1. Nice shot on the outside of the left post just over the blocker for the goal.

Good stick on the forecheck - good at positioning himself to disrupt the breakout.

made a couple of bad giveaways throughout the game.

#7 Willhöft

Electric skater and is always buzzing around the ice. Showed good puck skills and a willingness to battle for pucks down low. Had an opportunity in the mid first where he put himself in good position floating in the neutral zone where a puck popped out to him - had a good chance on the Finnish netminder that was stopped but showcased his acceleration and speed. He wants the puck on his stick. BAD. Reminds me a bit of Tim Stützle.

Made a real impressive defensive stop where he closed in on the defender, took the puck and was up in transition in one blink of the eye, he alone created a quality scoring chance for Herzog.

#10 Bleicher

Very good skater - has a fluidity to his stride. Isn’t afraid to join the rush and chase a puck he dumped himself. Uses his stick well and can be physical at is quite good at maintaining his gaps. Very confident player.

#17 Spath

Made a nice play on a PK where he lifted the Finnish forwards stick from behind, in the slot - negating that scoring opportunity. Didn’t love how he skated today. Didn’t notice him much otherwise.

#5 Herzog

Made a nice play where he attacked the wing with speed - made the defender think he was going inside then took a quick shot for a good scoring chance. Was the most noticeable of the 2006 Born forwards in my opinion.

#11 Clemons Sager

Skating needs some work - but when he is on the ice, the puck seems to follow him. Kid has good IQ in both zones - always scanning the ice.

#6 Schams

impressive defender, has good size a skates well and knows when to pinch. Two points, including a great read in the neutral zone for the tying 4-4 goal. these points were directly correlated to his smart pinches. Might be better than Merkl.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Unfortunately they lost their semi final vs. Latvia and my internet cut out just as Latvia scored to make it 2-0.
The end result was 3-2 for Latvia. So I missed the last 3 goals.

Up until my internet died it was a sad performance from anyone not named Vieillard. The first period was kind of even, but from the second period on Latvia was the better team (not that they were great, but clearly better). So credit to them, they did not allow for any offense from the German team.
It really looked like they wanted it more.

Overall not a fun game to watch. I haven't been this bored by a hockey game in a long time.

Again, to me the only player standing out in a positive way was Linus Vieillard in goal. He made several nice stops and it took a relentless effort by the Latvians as well as terrible defense by the Germans to finally get a couple of pucks past him.
Honestly if I was in his place I would not want any of my teammates talking to me.

Not sure what happened at the end. Apparently, they got back within one, then gave up an empty net goal, and then scored another one, but couldn't tie it up.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Alright - here were my notes from the game against Finland - I’ll have to watch the Slovakia game sometime today - I also made a video of some of the more impressive moments from the team in the game. I’ll see if I can get that rendered and posted by tomorrow.

#19 Merkl:

Very confident on the power play zipping passes over to teammates - ran the PP real well. Showed off his skating ability a few times - a kid that has size, speed and good acceleration.

As he went to retrieve the puck behind the net on PP; he underskated the puck and because of it Germany lost ~20 seconds on the PP. Puck retrievals is a place of weakness of him - wasn’t the only time I saw him hesitate with this throughout the game.

#27 R.Griva

Very good anticipation in the defensive zone reading the play and causing the turnover - then turned on the jets, made a nice pass over to Lewandowski and he boxed out Finnish defender #4 so Lewandowski could have a clean look at the net. Excellent sequence from this line. Very smart player that is always thinking one play ahead.

#28 G.Griva

Great job at scanning the ice and knowing where his teammates are at all times. He is just as proficient at making a pass in front of him as he is behind him - especially to his twin brother, where they obviously have phenomenal chemistry together. Just after a line change, R.Griva makes a no look pass through the middle of the ice where Rihards was going to be. Impressive pass even if it was broken up by a Finnish defender. Gustavs seems to be more of the playmaker between him and his brother.

#15 D.Lewandowski

Started off the game with a massive hit on the Finnish player and played quite physical throughout - almost impossible to knock this kid off balance. Does a great job at seeing that Griva will intercept the pass so he jumps at the opportunity on the 2on1. Nice shot on the outside of the left post just over the blocker for the goal.

Good stick on the forecheck - good at positioning himself to disrupt the breakout.

made a couple of bad giveaways throughout the game.

#7 Willhöft

Electric skater and is always buzzing around the ice. Showed good puck skills and a willingness to battle for pucks down low. Had an opportunity in the mid first where he put himself in good position floating in the neutral zone where a puck popped out to him - had a good chance on the Finnish netminder that was stopped but showcased his acceleration and speed. He wants the puck on his stick. BAD. Reminds me a bit of Tim Stützle.

Made a real impressive defensive stop where he closed in on the defender, took the puck and was up in transition in one blink of the eye, he alone created a quality scoring chance for Herzog.

#10 Bleicher

Very good skater - has a fluidity to his stride. Isn’t afraid to join the rush and chase a puck he dumped himself. Uses his stick well and can be physical at is quite good at maintaining his gaps. Very confident player.

#17 Spath

Made a nice play on a PK where he lifted the Finnish forwards stick from behind, in the slot - negating that scoring opportunity. Didn’t love how he skated today. Didn’t notice him much otherwise.

#5 Herzog

Made a nice play where he attacked the wing with speed - made the defender think he was going inside then took a quick shot for a good scoring chance. Was the most noticeable of the 2006 Born forwards in my opinion.

#11 Clemons Sager

Skating needs some work - but when he is on the ice, the puck seems to follow him. Kid has good IQ in both zones - always scanning the ice.

#6 Schams

impressive defender, has good size a skates well and knows when to pinch. Two points, including a great read in the neutral zone for the tying 4-4 goal. these points were directly correlated to his smart pinches. Might be better than Merkl.
Here are the highlights I was speaking of.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am a bit ill at the moment and because of that I slept through the entire Bronze-Medal game vs. Finland yesterday (1-4 L)
So I have no insight to provide on this.

From Feb 7 to Feb 12 there will be several tournaments (U19 / U18 / U17 / U16).

Here are the preliminary rosters for the U19 and U18.

Pos.NachnameVornameGeb.-DatumVerein 2022/23
GKBittnerMatthias13.02.2004Krefelder Pinguine / Krefelder EV 81
GKDietlPhilipp02.07.2004Straubing Tigers / EV Landshut
GKWolfSimon23.07.2004Red Bull Hockey Juniors
GKBraunMarlon09.02.2004Eisbären Juniors Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
DFBettaharRayan22.02.2004Eisbären Berlin
DFNifosiFabian10.03.2004ESV Kaufbeuren / EV Füssen
DFReichMichael16.07.2004EV Landshut / Passau Black Hawks
DFWeberJakob22.01.2004Red Bull Hockey Juniors
DFSinnPhillip13.01.2004RB Hockey Juniors / EHC Red Bull München
DFGrunewaldVincent09.05.2004Kölner EC
FWJunemannEdmund19.05.2004Düsseldorfer EG / Krefelder Pinguine
FWRollingerRalf05.06.2004Jungadler Mannheim / Heilbronner Falken
FWPischoffMatthias02.08.2004Kölner EC / Füchse Duisburg
FWNieleckLennard10.03.2004Iserlohner EC / Herner EV
FWKrymskiyNikita23.05.2004Krefelder Pinguine / Krefelder EV 81
FWHördlerEric10.08.2004Eisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
FWKechterRoman16.02.2004Nürnberg Ice Tigers
FWKreningPhilipp25.04.2004EHC Red Bull München / Red Bull Hockey Juniors
FWAssavolyukDaniel08.06.2004Red Bull Hockey Juniors
FWOswaldVeit31.08.2004EHC Red Bull München / SC Riessersee
FWGaidelRik07.01.2004Kölner EC / Füchse Duisburg
FWEliasMoritz10.03.2004Adler Mannheim / Heilbronner Falken
FWAntonMaksim19.04.2004Düsseldorfer EG / ESC Moskitos Essen
(Roster as of Jan 16)

A couple of surprises for me are Vincent Grunewald on D and to a lesser degree Rik Gaidel among forwards.

Pos.NachnameVornameGeb.-Dat.Verein 2022/23
GKWillerscheidLeon10.04.2005Kölner EC
GKPertuchNico29.07.2005EV Landshut
GKAnkirchnerValentin10.08.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
DFTropmannEdwin05.10.2005Kölner EC
DFHomannHenry12.12.2005EV Landshut
DFKukukMoritz27.05.2005Düsseldorfer EG
DFNiehusLua26.03.2005Jungadler Mannheim
DFBoseckerLars Lion18.09.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
DFMüllerJonas18.01.2005SC Rapperswil-Jona
DFPanochaNorwin24.02.2005Eisbären Juniors Berlin
DFMayerPaul25.09.2005Jungadler Mannheim
DFKühnhauserKilian09.02.2005Starbulls Rosenheim
FWMünzenbergerMarco02.09.2005Kölner EC
FWBrandlLinus01.04.2005Jungadler Mannheim
FWTripckeHannu16.09.2005Eisbären Juniors Berlin
FWSalhiBjörn23.02.2005EV Landshut
FWSumpfJulius11.01.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWJakovlevRaphael21.12.2005EV Landshut
FWVinzensPaul21.09.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWBickerKevin29.01.2005Jungadler Mannheim
FWTschwanowNikita19.10.2005Jungadler Mannheim
FWRuckdäschelTimo01.04.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWFischerJonas05.01.2005ESV Kaufbeuren
FWSchreinerVadim25.08.2005Red Bull Hockey Akademie
FWHildebrandMaurice16.07.2005Jungadler Mannheim
(Roster as of Jan 19)

Here are a bunch of surprising names for me. Defensemen Henry Homann, Moritz Kukuk and Jonas Müller (very curious about him) as well as forwards Marco Münzenberger, Hannu Tripcke, Björn Salhi (very curious about him, too) and Maurice Hildebrand.

Will be interesting to see if there will be any rosters changes before the "tournament" (I think it's just a series of exhibition games vs. Slovakia), but if not, it will be exciting to see how these guys do.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I’d also like to say - at the younger divisions, it‘s frustrating at times that the German teams don’t have name plates.

I know that it costs money, and there probably isn’t much money in the budget in the first place - but it makes the teams look very amateurish.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I’d also like to say - at the younger divisions, it‘s frustrating at times that the German teams don’t have name plates.

I know that it costs money, and there probably isn’t much money in the budget in the first place - but it makes the teams look very amateurish.
Yes, I understand why they are not doing it, but it also makes "scouting" the players in these games more difficult. Everytime I watch those teams play I will either print out a roster with the numbers, or I take my notes just with the numbers instead of names while the game is going on and then look them up afterwards.

But it's also not just Germany, a lot of the European teams don't have the names on the jerseys for many of these tournaments, expecially the mid- to lower tier European teams. And I may be wrong, but I think I recall even Finish and Swedish teams on occasion without nameplates.

One thing I think is even worse, is when the names and numbers are impossible to make out because of a terrible color scheme. That is something at least that Germany usually does well. The colors have a nice contrast and you can read everything well. Some other nations are more problematic in that regard, especially when you can't watch in 4k or at least HD.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
A couple of surprises for me are Vincent Grunewald on D and to a lesser degree Rik Gaidel among forwards.
Grunewald was one of my favourite 04s a couple years ago but for some reason appears to have played just 20 games combined in the past 3 seasons. Covid is one reason but he also seems to be injured a lot. When he's healthy, I like his game every time I watch him play. A very good two-way defenseman who reads pressure well and does a great job breaking out the puck. Would love to see how well he does it at a higher level.

Gaidel also doesn't seem like a big surprise, given that he's one of the top scorers in the DNL. He scored a hat trick in his Oberliga debut too, but didn't score another goal in the following games. He brings a lot of speed and energy, and I certainly like him as either a bottom-six player or a complementary piece to skilled forwards in the top 6.
Here are a bunch of surprising names for me. Defensemen Henry Homann, Moritz Kukuk and Jonas Müller (very curious about him) as well as forwards Marco Münzenberger, Hannu Tripcke, Björn Salhi (very curious about him, too) and Maurice Hildebrand.
I've honestly never even heard of Homann and Salhi, but that's because I haven't watched Landshut yet this season. My guess is that Homann is there because he's 6'5''. Salhi must bring some skill, as he seems to be a smaller guy. Haven't heard of Jonas Müller either because I haven't seen much of the Swiss teams yet this season.

Hildebrand is surprising to me because there are 05s on Mannheim that I like more than him (e.g. Renner), but the problem is that there aren't enough high-end players in the country to not bring some of these guys. It's the same every year. Should Hildebrand, Salhi, etc. be on this team? Ideally not. But given the options, who cares if it's them or Renner or whoever. Tripcke is another guy I haven't been a huge fan of, but he's the top scorer on a bad Berlin team, so who cares.

That leaves us with two guys who don't surprise me at all: Kukuk and Münzenberger. I don't like Kukuk's upside at the next level but he's one of the better offensive contributors in the DNL this season and he's always been part of the 2005 DEB teams. Münzenberger, on the other hand, is a guy I think has a big future. He might be the smartest player on this team, and I say that knowing that Brandl and Sumpf are also on this team. Münzenberger's skating is awful and is really holding him back. But if he can improve there, the sky is the limit for him. A big center with high-end hockey sense will have scouts and GMs drooling – if his skating improves. So I definitely like him being on the national team, even though he's more of a project when it comes to playing at the next level.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Some rosters have been updated.

U19 roster for 5-nations-tournament in Ängelholm (SWE):

Pos.NachnameVornameGeb.-DatumVerein 2022/23
GKBittnerMatthias13.02.2004Krefelder Pinguine / Krefelder EV 81
GKDietlPhilipp02.07.2004Straubing Tigers / EV Landshut
GKWolfSimon23.07.2004Red Bull Hockey Juniors
GKBraunMarlon09.02.2004Eisbären Juniors Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
DFBettaharRayan22.02.2004Eisbären Berlin
DFNifosiFabian10.03.2004ESV Kaufbeuren / EV Füssen
DFReichMichael16.07.2004EV Landshut / Passau Black Hawks
DFHafenrichterLeo29.07.2004EC Bad Nauheim / Kölner Haie
DFHübnerNiklas01.04.2004ERC Ingolstadt / Ravensburg Tower Stars
DFGrunewaldVincent09.05.2004Kölner EC
FWJunemannEdmund19.05.2004Düsseldorfer EG / Krefelder Pinguine
FWRollingerRalf05.06.2004Jungadler Mannheim / Heilbronner Falken
FWPischoffMatthias02.08.2004Kölner EC / Füchse Duisburg
FWNieleckLennard10.03.2004Iserlohner EC / Herner EV
FWKrymskiyNikita23.05.2004Krefelder Pinguine / Krefelder EV 81
FWHördlerEric10.08.2004Eisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse
FWKechterRoman16.02.2004Nürnberg Ice Tigers
FWNiewollikMarco28.04.2004Augsburger EV / EC Peiting
FWAssavolyukDaniel08.06.2004Red Bull Hockey Juniors
FWOswaldVeit31.08.2004EHC Red Bull München / SC Riessersee
FWGaidelRik07.01.2004Kölner EC / Füchse Duisburg
FWEliasMoritz10.03.2004Adler Mannheim / Heilbronner Falken
FWAntonMaksim19.04.2004Düsseldorfer EG / ESC Moskitos Essen

Comments:
  • Still 4 goalies
  • Weber and Sinn appear to have been replaced by Hafenrichter and Hübner.
  • Krening was replaced by Niewollik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad