German football season 2023/24

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Looks like at least two surprising teams going to be heading down to the Regionalliga--currently Duisberg and Halle, but Waldhof and Arminia well within range. 1860 probably safe at 10 pts up with 5 to play. Freiburg II bouncing from 2nd last season to last this one.

Anyone know what happens if Schalke happens to get relegated and can't gain a 3 Liga license due to their debt? Do they take the place of one of the relegated 3 Liga teams, or does a 5th team get promoted out of the Regionalliga?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Looks like at least two surprising teams going to be heading down to the Regionalliga--currently Duisberg and Halle, but Waldhof and Arminia well within range. 1860 probably safe at 10 pts up with 5 to play. Freiburg II bouncing from 2nd last season to last this one.

Anyone know what happens if Schalke happens to get relegated and can't gain a 3 Liga license due to their debt? Do they take the place of one of the relegated 3 Liga teams, or does a 5th team get promoted out of the Regionalliga?

I can't say for sure, but Schalke would go into the Regionalliga where Schalke II is currently playing and Schalke II would be placed last in that league for the current season and they would be relegated to the Oberlaiga which would move every team behind them up one spot.
My guess would be that a similar thing would happen in 3.Liga, meaning Schalke would take one of the relegation spots and the 17th placed team (currently Halle) would stay in the league.
I don't think there would be an additional promotion from the Regionalliga.
The promotion/relegation between Regionalliga and 3.Liga is complicated enough as it is, so just reducing the number of relegated teams, seems like the simplest solution.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I can't say for sure, but Schalke would go into the Regionalliga where Schalke II is currently playing and Schalke II would be placed last in that league for the current season and they would be relegated to the Oberlaiga which would move every team behind them up one spot.
My guess would be that a similar thing would happen in 3.Liga, meaning Schalke would take one of the relegation spots and the 17th placed team (currently Halle) would stay in the league.
I don't think there would be an additional promotion from the Regionalliga.
The promotion/relegation between Regionalliga and 3.Liga is complicated enough as it is, so just reducing the number of relegated teams, seems like the simplest solution.
Thanks, this was what I was thinking...and it may have happened a few seasons back with either Uerdingen or Turkgücü (or both actually), I'm just not fully recalling.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks, this was what I was thinking...and it may have happened a few seasons back with either Uerdingen or Turkgücü (or both actually), I'm just not fully recalling.

I looked up a few instances from the past where teams in 3.Liga avoided relegation due to similar circumstances.

2009: Wacker Burghausen remained in 3 Liga because 6th placed Kickers Emden chose to go down 2 levels to play in the Oberliga for financial reasons.

2011: Werder Bremen II got doubly lucky, because TuS Koblenz (11th place) did not apply for a licence for next season and Rot-Weiss Ahlen (would have finished 16th or 17th) but they were deducted 3 points and ultimately placed last in the league when they went into insolvency.

2013: Darmstadt avoided relegation because 15th place finisher Kickers Offenbach was denied the licence for 3 Liga for the 13/14 season. So instead of being relegated to the Regionalliga, Darmstadt got to play another season in 3 Liga in which they earned promotion in the relegation playoffs against Bielefeld, and then proceeded to finish 2nd in 2.Bundesliga and immediately earned promotion to the top flight. One of my favourite football stories in somewhat recent history.

2017: This is the one that was pretty much identical to the Schalke situation. 1860 München was relegated from 2.Bundesliga but was unable to meet the requirements for a license in 3 Liga. They were relegated straight to the Regionalliga, I think (may have been Oberliga), and Paderborn was the lucky team that got to stay in 3 Liga, despite being relegated originally.

2021: Uerdingen had already been deducted 3 points, but would have avoided relegation on goal differential over Meppen, but they did not manage to get a license for next season, so Meppen got to stay.

2022: Türkgücü decided in March 2022 to pull their team from the league and all matches they had previously played were annulled. SC Verl was the team that profited and remained in the league.

So, it seems a pretty safe bet, that there would be only 3 relegated teams instead of 4.

But to be honest, I don't think Schalke will get relegated. It's possible, but my gut says no.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I looked up a few instances from the past where teams in 3.Liga avoided relegation due to similar circumstances.

2009: Wacker Burghausen remained in 3 Liga because 6th placed Kickers Emden chose to go down 2 levels to play in the Oberliga for financial reasons.

2011: Werder Bremen II got doubly lucky, because TuS Koblenz (11th place) did not apply for a licence for next season and Rot-Weiss Ahlen (would have finished 16th or 17th) but they were deducted 3 points and ultimately placed last in the league when they went into insolvency.

2013: Darmstadt avoided relegation because 15th place finisher Kickers Offenbach was denied the licence for 3 Liga for the 13/14 season. So instead of being relegated to the Regionalliga, Darmstadt got to play another season in 3 Liga in which they earned promotion in the relegation playoffs against Bielefeld, and then proceeded to finish 2nd in 2.Bundesliga and immediately earned promotion to the top flight. One of my favourite football stories in somewhat recent history.

2017: This is the one that was pretty much identical to the Schalke situation. 1860 München was relegated from 2.Bundesliga but was unable to meet the requirements for a license in 3 Liga. They were relegated straight to the Regionalliga, I think (may have been Oberliga), and Paderborn was the lucky team that got to stay in 3 Liga, despite being relegated originally.

2021: Uerdingen had already been deducted 3 points, but would have avoided relegation on goal differential over Meppen, but they did not manage to get a license for next season, so Meppen got to stay.

2022: Türkgücü decided in March 2022 to pull their team from the league and all matches they had previously played were annulled. SC Verl was the team that profited and remained in the league.

So, it seems a pretty safe bet, that there would be only 3 relegated teams instead of 4.

But to be honest, I don't think Schalke will get relegated. It's possible, but my gut says no.
That bottom 5 group all play either each other or top 5/10 teams the rest of the way. Going to be a nail biter for a few of them.

Reactions: Maverick41

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That bottom 5 group all play either each other or top 5/10 teams the rest of the way. Going to be a nail biter for a few of them.

Getting Ouedraogo back should be enough to save them with their better form of late & that 6pt lead over Lautern...that kid's already a game changer.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
German CL league participants for next season could be decided today. 6th place Frankfurt need to win tonight or they have no chance of reaching the fifth place even mathematically.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If the commentators on my feed are to be believed, Frankfurt just hit 250 corners in a row without scoring a goal.

• Wow
Reactions: luiginb

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Frankfurt turned the match around in the 2nd half and won 3-1.

Even with the win, they're unlikely to qualify for the CL, but their chances to qualify for Europe next season certainly became a lot stronger.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Bad news for other relegation battlers as Bochum go ahead against Wolfsburg. But luckily it was ruled out for offside.

Köln are still being held scoreless at home by Darmstadt, who will be relegated if they lose. Köln have been somewhat better than the visitors, but their usual struggles to score still continue.

Edit: And now it's gone the other way, as Wind puts Wolfsburg ahead.

Edit2: Okay, Köln doesn't deserve to stay up. They go 1-0 down at 56 mins.

Edit3: Köln are pushing more people up now, e.g Thielmann is playing right forward, but they still can't score, shooting wide or over.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Köln doesn’t deserve to stay up with this kind of result against the worst team in the league at home late April.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Alte Forsterei is such a pretty stadium. Loud, too!

1713631848097.png

Reactions: cgf

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Horrific result for Köln, especially with Mainz starting to find their footing the last few weeks. While they have a few gems, I don't have a lot of confidence in that sqùad (nor in the club's roster building) to think they'll be right back up.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Horrific result for Köln, especially with Mainz starting to find their footing the last few weeks. While they have a few gems, I don't have a lot of confidence in that sqùad (nor in the club's roster building) to think they'll be right back up.

Especially with them under a transfer ban this summer.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
St. Pauli does their part to keep up with Kiel after a 65th minute goal from JoJo.
I somehow had the feeling H96 would spoil the St.Pauli party today Thank god they didn't.

Btw. IMO Kölle is dead in the water. They'll play the other losers next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad