German Football Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wonder what happens with Dardai in a year or two. You can't refuse to try and play when Maier & Duda through alongside Darida; and Torunarigha is starting their attacks with his beautiful left foot. But I dunno if Dardai has that in his repertoire. I can see a 3-4-1-2/3-1-4-2 like this working beautifully for them by season's end/early next season:

Selke - Lazaro
Duda
Plattenhart* - Maier - Darida - Weiser......
Torunarigha - Stark - Rekik.........

*Mittelstadt​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What do you mean? He almost helped spark a comeback!

lol Koln won't get out of their group in the EL and could end up on the outskirts of the relegation race playing like this. The team is toothless outside of set pieces & counters, but no longer has its set-piece ace. They can still defend well when other teams will carry the play, but goals will be scarce...even if both Horn & Klunter could end up NT starters.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Great business by Mainz getting 16 million for him, apparently Köln desperately wanted to find someone resembling Modeste. Not an awful player though, but rather mediocre and entirely replaceable.
Absolutely. You're not paying 16 Mio for a striker with such a bad finishing rate, i guess Mainz is still laughing about the deal.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Zagadou is quite good at LB. Mostly in pressing though. Generated both of Dortmund's big chances by stripping a Hertha player.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Really nice strike by Sahin. Pressing is really really good today too. More of a focus for Bosz than Tuchel. Zagadou is still breaking up absolutely everything too.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Though he's playing for our rival these days: Congrats, Holger Badstuber, to your game winning goal. And welcome back to the healthy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Zakaria seems to have started out in the BuLi quite brightly.

Yep, it's a shame Hecking is such a blah coach. A creative coach with a midfield trio featuring Zakaria, Kramer & Benes would lead to some phenomenal football. Instead we get old man Hecking trying to sit on a 1 goal lead and so leaving points on the pitch against Augsburg.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yep, it's a shame Hecking is such a blah coach. A creative coach with a midfield trio featuring Zakaria, Kramer & Benes would lead to some phenomenal football. Instead we get old man Hecking trying to sit on a 1 goal lead and so leaving points on the pitch against Augsburg.

Gladbach sold out their hipster roots for such a mainstream coach. On the other hand, the other Borussia only got more hipster.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gladbach sold out their hipster roots for such a mainstream coach. On the other hand, the other Borussia only got more hipster.

Not sure how throwing your big bucks around to poach a coach who was just in a european final is hipster ;)

But Hecking is so disappointing.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not sure how throwing your big bucks around to poach a coach who was just in a european final is hipster ;)

But Hecking is so disappointing.

Yes but he was severely criticized for lacking pragmatism in that European final and attacking and pressing recklessly even against Mou! So hip!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zagadou is quite good at LB. Mostly in pressing though. Generated both of Dortmund's big chances by stripping a Hertha player.

Really? I thought he was pretty bad today. I didn't like how any of the backline besides Toprak and Bartra played. Everyone else I thought did between okay and well.

It was a nice win. Didn't think we were that good today, but it wasn't a difficult match.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Really? I thought he was pretty bad today. I didn't like how any of the backline besides Toprak and Bartra played. Everyone else I thought did between okay and well.

It was a nice win. Didn't think we were that good today, but it wasn't a difficult match.

Yeah. He wasn't spectacular offensively and made a lot of back passes, but otherwise he spaced himself well and was pretty calm with the ball at least. And I'm pretty sure every time he was challenged, he blocked the ball, intercepted the pass, or stole it, including the two big first half chances. The pressing as a whole was more of a highlight and chance creator for the team than their passing or creativity in established possession. The second goal also came directly after a successful counterpress.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah. He wasn't spectacular offensively and made a lot of back passes, but otherwise he spaced himself well and was pretty calm with the ball at least. And I'm pretty sure every time he was challenged, he blocked the ball, intercepted the pass, or stole it, including the two big first half chances. The pressing as a whole was more of a highlight and chance creator for the team than their passing or creativity in established possession. The second goal also came directly after a successful counterpress.

I thought Zagadou struggled with his recognition of some of the runs on his side of the field. I thought he had a similar problem against Bayern. Might be because he isn't a LB. Schmelzer should be back next match anyway, so he probably won't be playing there next match.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007

I think Zagadou was decent defensively, good in link-up play and bad with his crossing (expected). Overall I think he was very solid. Piszczek on the other side was kind of simiki with disappointing crosses and decision making on offense. Both our full backs being offensive bkack-holes more or less today hurt our ability to create chances.

Overall I think it was a good game by us, we hardly gave Hertha anything. In the end it looks easy because the opponent looks weak (same with Wolfsburg last week), but our pressing suffocating the opponent play does a lot for that.

Also Sahin was superb today, he's a good player still when healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad