German Football Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I wish the Fox announcers would concentrate less on him.

I get it, he's American, and I think he's gonna be a very good player, but its kind of cringeworthy that they concentrate on an 18 year old with two career pro games coming on in the 79th minute. Anywhere else, thats a footnote, and maybe they talk about that guy for a few lines. I hate when they do that for Americans. Sometimes its still annoying when they do it for Pulisic, although Pulisic is a legitimate star now, so its more understandable.

McKennie doesn't need all this pressure on him. He should be able to concentrate on getting more minutes, and not being anointed anything yet. A lot of people want to do that because they want to find the next Pulisic, but I'd rather he earn his air time, like a player from any other country would have to.

You don't have much football talent in the bigger leagues. So I think it's okay to tell the US people some players are doing well overseas. German paper BILD for example today fell in love with Leon Draisaitl and his new contract. AFAIK he was never mentioned in any major paper so far.
Hopefully more young Americans play football and more young Germans play hockey.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Union-Leverkusen as well :rant:

At least BMG are outplaying Koln...now to just put some of their chances in the back of the net.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I wish the Fox announcers would concentrate less on him.

I get it, he's American, and I think he's gonna be a very good player, but its kind of cringeworthy that they concentrate on an 18 year old with two career pro games coming on in the 79th minute. Anywhere else, thats a footnote, and maybe they talk about that guy for a few lines. I hate when they do that for Americans. Sometimes its still annoying when they do it for Pulisic, although Pulisic is a legitimate star now, so its more understandable.

McKennie doesn't need all this pressure on him. He should be able to concentrate on getting more minutes, and not being anointed anything yet. A lot of people want to do that because they want to find the next Pulisic, but I'd rather he earn his air time, like a player from any other country would have to.

I doubt McKennie is feeling too much pressure from the American broadcast of a game he was playing in in Germany.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Finally, elvedi scores the first BuLi goal of the season for BMG after a beautiful throughball from stindl sent Traore on the run, who then slide the ball across the front of the box for Elvedi to pop in on the far side.

E:
And not even a minute later Elvedi puts in a great block to stop Cordoba from a great chance.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Union-Leverkusen as well :rant:

At least BMG are outplaying Koln...now to just put some of their chances in the back of the net.

Your favorite vs. (one of) your least favorite(s)? Think how much fun you'd have if Union won. ;)

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
To be fair, Tedesco is looking like he could buck that trend.

They'll turn on him too before long. Wait until their first cold streak. If he lasts a year and a half to two years it'll have been a successful tenure. Legendary if over two years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They'll turn on him too before long. Wait until their first cold streak. If he lasts a year and a half to two years it'll have been a successful tenure. Legendary if over two years.

For some reason I see Heidel going to bat for them as long as they continue to look better...even if they have a run of poor results later in the season despite playing well

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
For some reason I see Heidel going to bat for them as long as they continue to look better...even if they have a run of poor results later in the season despite playing well

Fan pressure would get to Heidel too. Otherwise he's risking his own job.

Of course there is reason for some optimism. Tedesco seems to be a very good manager and they just shut down last year's #2. Some Schalke fans have been stupidly optimistic though and that will just change to stupid pessimism when they have a cold streak.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fan pressure would get to Heidel too. Otherwise he's risking his own job.

Of course there is reason for some optimism. Tedesco seems to be a very good manager and they just shut down last year's #2. Some Schalke fans have been stupidly optimistic though and that will just change to stupid pessimism when they have a cold streak.

True, if the hype gets out of control than any downturn will result in the fans swiftly turning on him; but I think Heidel realizes that he's gunna have to go against the fans and hold onto a coach that they've turned on if he ever wants to build anything real in Gelsenkirchen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Schalke must have a new manager if Konoplyanka is starting.

Have no idea why he wasn't a starter for them to begin with. I quite like him as a player.

Finally got around to watching the game and Bentaleb impressed as well. But Harit's play on the goal for Kono was filthy. Schalke might be a fun team to watch this year.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yeah, I wouldn't mind to be wrong about them (again), but I think Schalke will do well enough this year. They have enough quality to keep their coach out of questions, and until he proves otherwise, I think he's decent enough to utilize the given talent to that degree. A midfield built around Goretzka, Bentaleb, Konoplyanka and Harit should lead them pretty far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad