German Football 2022/23

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You’re right, but with 3 of the 10 biggest clubs in Germany down there, it might be different for this year.

If a Bielefeld or a Paderborn is relegated, that stands true what you’re saying. I think the bigger clubs that get relegated still have that advantage when it comes to resources, even if they’ve fallen from their best years.

The biggest clubs are the ones that struggle the most with focus and motivation when relegated. That's why HSV have been stuck down there for half a decade, Hertha has struggled to bounce right back up, and Leipzig couldn't get promotion on their first try...despite having a 1st division roster.

You guys listed the richest clubs with the most resources, who on paper should be the favorites for promotion, but it's never that simple. Just look at last year, how many people had Heidenheim & Darmstadt getting the two auto-promotion spots?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Think Hertha is gonna have to sell some more so will lose some of that talent advantage. They also seem to have a few other issues so all those things probably keeps them out of the top 2. I really don't like what Schalke has done transfer wise, they have taken a big hit and haven't replaced very well. Hamburg hasn't lost too much and did a decent job with replacement if the 2 new CB's hit the ground running. St. Pauli was the form team to end the season so if they can keep that form again could be a threat. I got Hamburg 1st. St. Pauli 2nd and Schalke 3rd. Hertha if they don't sell anymore can take any of those 3 spots.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The biggest clubs are the ones that struggle the most with focus and motivation when relegated. That's why HSV have been stuck down there for half a decade, Hertha has struggled to bounce right back up, and Leipzig couldn't get promotion on their first try...despite having a 1st division roster.

You guys listed the richest clubs with the most resources, who on paper should be the favorites for promotion, but it's never that simple. Just look at last year, how many people had Heidenheim & Darmstadt getting the two auto-promotion spots?
You could be right. I'm not saying I'm sure of it, but look at how Schalke had little trouble going right back up a few years ago. The second league has a lot of very small clubs that have extremely limited players. The gulf in class sometimes can be so big when these teams bring down a roster with a lot of Bundesliga players.

HSV hasn't gone up yet, but they've been close pretty much every year, and they really should've gotten it done the last few years. They've found crazy ways to not go up when for most of the season they looked like a top 2-3 team in the league. So I would say they kind of prove my point more than yours, although it's true that they are still "stuck" in the second league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You could be right. I'm not saying I'm sure of it, but look at how Schalke had little trouble going right back up a few years ago. The second league has a lot of very small clubs that have extremely limited players. The gulf in class sometimes can be so big when these teams bring down a roster with a lot of Bundesliga players.

HSV hasn't gone up yet, but they've been close pretty much every year, and they really should've gotten it done the last few years. They've found crazy ways to not go up when for most of the season they looked like a top 2-3 team in the league. So I would say they kind of prove my point more than yours, although it's true that they are still "stuck" in the second league.

The problem is that you need to be ready to fight in every match in BuLi2. Even against those tiny clubs. So the bigger the talent gap on paper, the tougher it can be to prepare your squad to fight every week. That's why Schalke bought so many BuLi2 vets to bounce right back. Those were the guys who were hungry enough to fight every match, even when they were heavily favored.

HSV falling just short is exactly what I'm talking about. Every year they think they've got it in the bag and don't have to keep fighting, and every year they f*** it up as a result lacking the necessary motivation & drive to keep fighting until the last moment.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Hannover 96 get Halstenberg from RB Leipzig.

It's a big deal for 96, because Halstenberg plays on a different level than the rest of the roster. Thanks RB and Eberl for letting him go home for (almost) free. Class act.

Reactions: cgf

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I bet BvB fans rejoice:

Nico Schultz is no longer part of the club (according to Bild).

Trying to find a link with no paywall.

update

Very happy. Never want to hear about this guy again. One of our worst transfers in a long time.

What makes it so much worse is that he wasn’t just a bad player but had all those off-field domestic violence issues that turned it into a big saga and then he refused for at least a year to leave when it was clear he wasn’t gonna have any role to play. I get the financial aspects of it. He’ll never be paid that amount of money again and it wouldn’t be wise to forfeit that salary, but it is a little annoying when players decide to just stay and collect the salary they won’t ever be paid again when they know they aren’t wanted.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Very happy. Never want to hear about this guy again. One of our worst transfers in a long time.

What makes it so much worse is that he wasn’t just a bad player but had all those off-field domestic violence issues that turned it into a big saga and then he refused for at least a year to leave when it was clear he wasn’t gonna have any role to play. I get the financial aspects of it. He’ll never be paid that amount of money again and it wouldn’t be wise to forfeit that salary, but it is a little annoying when players decide to just stay and collect the salary they won’t ever be paid again when they know they aren’t wanted.

Is clubs being forced to respect the contracts they hand out more annoying than clubs who try to force players to stay when they want to leave?:dunno:

Hannover 96 get Halstenberg from RB Leipzig.

It's a big deal for 96, because Halstenberg plays on a different level than the rest of the roster. Thanks RB and Eberl for letting him go home for (almost) free. Class act.

Eberl is just the best in the biz. I'd hate to see Ruhnert leave, but Eberl is the one man I'd be content to see replace him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is clubs being forced to respect the contracts they hand out more annoying than clubs who try to force players to stay when they want to leave?:dunno:
Well, Dortmund definitely doesn't do that. I wish we did, actually. It'd help us win more than we do.

I think it depends on each individual situation. Sometimes, I think it's wrong. Other times, I agree with it. If I was to deduce it down to a philosophy, I'd say when there's something at stake for the club that they can gain from keeping the player and there's not a whole lot the player will lose, I have no issue with it. When the club is doing it to be petty or for no good reason and the player has a lot to lose, I don't like it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, Dortmund definitely doesn't do that. I wish we did, actually. It'd help us win more than we do.

I think it depends on each individual situation. Sometimes, I think it's wrong. Other times, I agree with it. If I was to deduce it down to a philosophy, I'd say when there's something at stake for the club that they can gain from keeping the player and there's not a whole lot the player will lose, I have no issue with it. When the club is doing it to be petty or for no good reason and the player has a lot to lose, I don't like it.

pah-119759975.jpg

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Come on buddy. Don’t try to gaslight me. Sancho was so disappointed that you wouldn’t sell him that he played like shit for half the season.
Proof?

Sancho was let go when he asked. Aki Watze unfortunately has no ambition, and will always let players leave as soon as they ask to leave.

Sancho felt unsettled, and that contributed to poor play. Unsettled doesn't mean he asked to leave the prior summer. It means that he didn't feel comfortable, and had a lot of thoughts about his future in his mind when he should've been focused on that season.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Come on buddy. Don’t try to gaslight me. Sancho was so disappointed that you wouldn’t sell him that he played like shit for half the season.
Wasn't all the talk around that time about how they wouldn't take offers except for their set price and they weren't going to accept another Dembele/Aubemayang situation, etc... Didn't give an impression of a club all that willing to cater to a leave request at that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s not that the Premier League isn’t the best league. I think everyone admits it is.

It’s the lack of respect the other top leagues get from some. If a guy fails moving from one of the top four leagues to another, it’s about what happened with the player, not the league.

A player isn’t unproven until he gets to the Premier League. You hear that so often and it’s so demeaning to the other leagues.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It’s not that the Premier League isn’t the best league. I think everyone admits it is.

It’s the lack of respect the other top leagues get from some. If a guy fails moving from one of the top four leagues to another, it’s about what happened with the player, not the league.

A player isn’t unproven until he gets to the Premier League. You hear that so often and it’s so demeaning to the other leagues.
Oh, no disagreement on that from me. We're definitely on the same page.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Probably can preemptively add Nkunku as a 4th to that group since he's going to the same striker graveyard as 2 of those 3.
True. But Kai will outscore any season he had in Germany this year, so that'll balance things out.

Plus Erling might break his own record now that they won't be as focused on the CL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad