German Football 2022/23

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Though he's been a total dud since getting to Dortmund, Brandt was amazing in 2015/2016. He was using space like Müller, only with a skill level that Müller still hasn't reached.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Former Viktoria Koln attacker Mike Wunderlich scoring on an assist from other former Viktoria Koln striker Terrence Boyd for FCK is like a scene out of one of my FM saves. What, were Timmy Thiele and Rene Klingenburg not available? :laugh:

Edit: Aww, damn, forgot Boyd was actually on Hallescher.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The Lewandowski saga is over. Finally. You will be missed, Robert.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jesus Karlsruhe, I was curious to check them out more this season to get a feel for Breithaupt, but looks like this wasn't the right match to see what the kid does well :laugh:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Munich spending a fortune on centre backs i guess their not convinced of Upa?

Just posted about this in the transfers thread. On top of the big fee, he’ll surely be on a contract on par with what he was getting with Juventus. That’s huge money and you could have Saliba’s transfer fee and full contract covered for less than the fee for De Ligt. Again, I’m surprised Bayern are spending that much on him. Chelsea wouldn’t surprise me so much, but Bayern do.

Maybe, maybe not, but I think it’d be foolish to let him go so soon.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just posted about this in the transfers thread. On top of the big fee, he’ll surely be on a contract on par with what he was getting with Juventus. That’s huge money and you could have Saliba’s transfer fee and full contract covered for less than the fee for De Ligt. Again, I’m surprised Bayern are spending that much on him. Chelsea wouldn’t surprise me so much, but Bayern do.

Maybe, maybe not, but I think it’d be foolish to let him go so soon.

I wouldn't be so sure that he didn't take less to go to Munich. Mane took less than everyone thought he would when he was leaving the EPL, wouldn't be surprised if de Ligt did too. Bayern has their wage structure and players like playing for Nagelsmann.

As for Upa; even with de Ligt coming in and Pavard not yet having left, I dunno if they can sell him unless they're planning to buy someone else. Doing so would leave them with just 3 established CBs; two of whom (Lucas & Pavard) are also the primary backups at the FB spots on their respective side.

Given that Pavard is already halfway out the door and, despite my liking the flashes that Nianzou Kouassi has shown, Nagelsmann doesn't trust the kid yet...not without reason; Nagelsmann asks a lot of his CBs and the kid made some really painful errors last season...it just seems reckless to go into a season with that little depth at CB. Nevermind that Nagelsmann has used plenty of 3 CB formations, which tests that depth further.

This has a lot more to do with Süle than Upamecano.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I wouldn't be so sure that he didn't take less to go to Munich. Mane took less than everyone thought he would when he was leaving the EPL, wouldn't be surprised if de Ligt did too. Bayern has their wage structure and players like playing for Nagelsmann.

By on par I meant ballpark. If less, maybe, but I would imagine not a lot less. If he’s on a 5 year deal then I’m guessing all told they’ll be dumping 120 million on him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
By on par I meant ballpark. If less, maybe, but I would imagine not a lot less. If he’s on a 5 year deal then I’m guessing all told they’ll be dumping 120 million on him.

That's more than they were paying Lewa and significantly more than they'll be paying Mane. I'll be shocked if Bayern is paying de Ligt any more than 20M a year.

Upper teens to 20M a year has been the most that they've given anyone since Covid hit their finances, and I doubt de Ligt gets the Lewa-exception without first proving himself in Bavaria...if he ever does.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
That's more than they were paying Lewa and significantly more than they'll be paying Mane. I'll be shocked if Bayern is paying him much more than 20M a year.

Upper teens to 20M a year has been the most that they've given anyone since Covid hit their finances, and I doubt de Ligt gets the Lewa-exception to earn significantly more than any of their other stars without first proving himself in Bavaria...if he ever does.

I was including the transfer fee and net wages.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was including the transfer fee and net wages.
Ah gotcha, I'm helpless with net numbers cause the club doesn't really care whether the money they're paying ends up in the player's pocket or the state's. It's a liability on their books, either way.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ah gotcha, I'm helpless with net numbers cause the club doesn't really care whether the money they're paying ends up in the player's pocket or the state's. It's a liability on their books, either way.

I only use them as a point of comparison as that tends to be what is reported.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I only use them as a point of comparison as that tends to be what is reported.

I feel like german papers report the gross because those are the numbers they get from clubs, but maybe I'm just spazzing on this :laugh:

Either way, I will be shocked if de Ligt didn't need to take a sizeable paycut from what Juve was paying him to fit into Bayern's salary structure. He's still getting paid handsomely, I'm sure, but I doubt that he is still the highest-paid CB in the world.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is de Ligt actually that good? I know he has this grand reputation, but is it because he's one of the best CB's in the world or was billed as an eventual one and hasn't gotten there yet? I lean towards the latter. Not saying he's bad, but I haven't thought watching him over the years that he's as good as the best yet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is de Ligt actually that good? I know he has this grand reputation, but is it because he's one of the best CB's in the world or was billed as an eventual one and hasn't gotten there yet? I lean towards the latter. Not saying he's bad, but I haven't thought watching him over the years that he's as good as the best yet.

Does it matter if he was one for Juve? Nagelsmann will make him one.

• Haha
Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Just trying to fill the gap left by Süle's departure, even though they know that's impossible.

...plus Pavard might be leaving to, which would leave them with only Upa, Lucas, and de Ligt ahead of their kids.
Do you think Richards stays/plays, then?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Probably true, but I thought he'd make Upa better than he's become.

It's not like Upa was bad last season & making Pavard look like a stud. He just wasn't as good as he has been before and got outshone by both Süle & Lucas. With a season in Bavaria under his belt now, I wouldn't be surprised if Upamecano looks the best he ever has.

Especially if they bring Laimer in to back Kimmich up...as losing Joshua really threw their whole team off, and between the contract dramas going & the generation shift Nagelsmann was pushing through, they couldn't recapture the magic when Kimmich came back.

Having Laimer, who does a great Kimmich impression, on hand last season would've changed everything for them.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Seb Haller has been diagnosed with a testicular tumor (apologies if the term is wrong) and will be out. I hope he makes a full recovery!

Obviously tough for BVB but that is not important right now.

Reactions: JPBolts

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm so sad for him at seeing this news. Put a real damper on my day. The team stuff is secondary. His health is more important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad