George Strombolopolous Host for HNIC Next Year

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just wondering, would you want Ghomeshi to be the new host of HNiC ? A great speaker with an absolutely canadian fan base but no real ( or at least identifyable) link to the game ? how long do you think he would last ?

Can't see Gomeshi's penchant for long preambles, monotone soliloquies and generally faux-intellectual verbosity, bringing enough entertainment to a hockey broadcast, unless of course, they pair him up with Billy Bob Thornton. :sarcasm:

There is no denying that Strombo is trading on his celebrity rather than his suitability. It might work out and it might crash to the earth, its not like if it goes south people in canada are going to hold their tounges about it.

What kind of suitability does anyone really need? There is no school of journalism that is going to prepare anyone for the type of interventions on a hockey broadcast, that is largely watched by an audience more bent on being served controversy mixed in with a modicum of hockey insider-type product. Whoever gets the gig is always going to be part of a team that includes your average retired jock -- and some of them have taken too many shots to the head to offer a fare that's any different than what the current crop has mustered.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Can't see Gomeshi's penchant for long preambles, monotone soliloquies and generally faux-intellectual verbosity, bringing enough entertainment to a hockey broadcast, unless of course, they pair him up with Billy Bob Thornton. :sarcasm:

What kind of suitability does anyone really need? There is no school of journalism that is going to prepare anyone for the type of interventions on a hockey broadcast, that is largely watched by an audience more bent on being served controversy mixed in with a modicum of hockey insider-type product. Whoever gets the gig is always going to be part of a team that includes your average retired jock -- and some of them have taken too many shots to the head to offer a fare that's any different than what the current crop has mustered.

suitability in terms of demonstrable expertise, I dont want a radio or TV voice who speaks well/looks nice to be the head of HNiC ( not that I think Strombo is this). I want a guy who can act as sherriff, that if the analysts say something stupid that if he steps is his words have some gravitas. A guy who lets the analysts say what they want but has a rope on all of them in case they go too far.

I think that MacLean could say to Stock " you are out of your freaking mind ?" but Strombo not so much without the retort being the peach of " are you an expert?". I'm not even against the host being provocateur to get the analysts to go at each other for entertainment but I dont want it to devolve into a shoutfest.

I might be in the minority, but I like Q and even if you dont like his style ( I am sure there are legions who dont) he can do a great interview.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
suitability in terms of demonstrable expertise, I dont want a radio or TV voice who speaks well/looks nice to be the head of HNiC ( not that I think Strombo is this). I want a guy who can act as sherriff, that if the analysts say something stupid that if he steps is his words have some gravitas. A guy who lets the analysts say what they want but has a rope on all of them in case they go too far.

What is demonstrable expertise? If you're not considered a hockey insider, which by most accounts involves some kind of tenure in the hockey world, as a player, coach, agent or a GM's office, you will be challenged by those who sport the label. While Stombo is well-spoken, jock-talkers are not his world and don't represent the majority of guests he's entertained on his red couches over the years. He may be a hockey fan, an able communicator, a caring and prepared interviewer, but that doesn't necessarily make him endearing or suited to a hockey broadcast.

I think that MacLean could say to Stock " you are out of your freaking mind ?" but Strombo not so much without the retort being the peach of " are you an expert?". I'm not even against the host being provocateur to get the analysts to go at each other for entertainment but I dont want it to devolve into a shoutfest.

Who is your audience? How sophisticated are they? HNIC has developed a brand where the brash, uncouth and low IQ jocks who can blabber mouth seem to have found acceptance or have been ratings-favorable. They're not going to change the formula just for Strombo. The entertainment industry doesn't like to make dramatic changes to what works. And when they do, you end up with the Conan O'Briens who are too different from the guy who had been running the show in a certain way for almost 20 years at the time and who had always garnered the best ratings in the industry.

I might be in the minority, but I like Q and even if you dont like his style ( I am sure there are legions who dont) he can do a great interview.

Gomeshi is like a fish in water at Q. His show is also reprised on various US public radio stations and fits in rather seamlessly. Liking Gomeshi on CBC radio doesn't mean his skills are suited or transferable to HNIC. Just because I don't think Gomeshi is suited to a HNIC setting, doesn't mean he is not capable at what he's been doing.
That's totally outside the scope of the posts made here. You don't know what I like based on what I wrote here, any more than you know about the scope of any other poster's preferences. ;)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I love Strombo, and his show is the only other piece of CBC broadcasting I watch, but how is Ron MacLean's measure as a "journalist" relevant to a discussion concerning Strombolopolous, who isn't one either?

I have no idea, people complaining about Strombo were complaining he wasn't a journalist. I have no idea why the issue was relevant.

Believe me complainers, I'm sure Strombo is just as capable to read pointless Tragically Hip lyrics.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
You have to start somewhere - even Scotty Bowman was a rookie coach at one time. Remember when McLean first joined HNIC? He had no credibility or familiar background..but he knew his place and kept his opinions to himself for a few years until he had gained the audience's respect as more than just a talking head, and someone's whose opinion on hockey matters had some merit.

I have no problem with a host being a host without feeling the need to speak on every subject..that's not his job. Friedman and co. are there to tell Stock when he's being an idiot.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What is demonstrable expertise? If you're not considered a hockey insider, which by most accounts involves some kind of tenure in the hockey world, as a player, coach, agent or a GM's office, you will be challenged by those who sport the label. While Stombo is well-spoken, jock-talkers are not his world and don't represent the majority of guests he's entertained on his red couches over the years. He may be a hockey fan, an able communicator, a caring and prepared interviewer, but that doesn't necessarily make him endearing or suited to a hockey broadcast.

This seems to be the embodiement of my concern about Strombo, he's not a " hockey" guy, hes an entertainment guy who "likes" hockey. A lot of people might have beefs with MacLean but there are not many that are directed to his expertise with the game. whether he got this as a result of being on HNiC, and whether Strombo could similarly position himself this way in 10 or 15 years is debatable.

His job right now is to simply oversee the analysts and serve as the transition to different segments, and keep don on time. He will likely give up the first two and keep the third.

A lot of the former player analysts see this as their gravy train, guys ( like stock) will try to out don don to get eyes on them. It worked, albeit temporarily, for Barry Melrose in the US. Its the reason why Milbury is still very much one of the faces of NBCSN. I think that MacLean could serve to put the brakes on this, I'm not sure how Strombo could even if he tried. If these analysts could, seemingly, increase their face time by taking on the neophyte host why wouldnt they ? You think that Strombo gets the same respect as MacLean did from the analysts trying to distance themselves from each other ? Why would he ?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I hate the guy, puts me to sleep and is a dullard. Kind of like how most of you feel about me.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
People seem to ignore the fact that Strombo started in sports journalism. So I don't understand the issue. He sure as hell will bring more credibility than Don Cherry.

A guy who has never played at any appreciable level brings more credibility than a journeyman player turned coach, turned NHL coach ( who happened to coach the best player ever) who them parlayed this into the most popular intermission show in the history of the game ? A guy who, at age 80, spends what 6 days a week watching games ?

I get people dont like don and find some of his opinions antiquated, fine. Who do you get to replace him ? A sycophant like pierre McGuire ? Pj. Stock ? Do you re-inforce that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and sign Barry Melrose ?

Grapes might be short on quite a few things, credibility aint one.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
A guy who has never played at any appreciable level brings more credibility than a journeyman player turned coach, turned NHL coach ( who happened to coach the best player ever) who them parlayed this into the most popular intermission show in the history of the game ? A guy who, at age 80, spends what 6 days a week watching games ?

I get people dont like don and find some of his opinions antiquated, fine. Who do you get to replace him ? A sycophant like pierre McGuire ? Pj. Stock ? Do you re-inforce that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and sign Barry Melrose ?

Grapes might be short on quite a few things, credibility aint one.

He had credibility, maybe 15 years ago.... now, he's all over the map, brings nothing except moronic comments. I'll take an actual real journalist before an ex-hockey player or coach stuck in the past.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He had credibility, maybe 15 years ago.... now, he's all over the map, brings nothing except moronic comments. I'll take an actual real journalist before an ex-hockey player or coach stuck in the past.

so a real journalist like damien Cox ? A guy who prefers Tennis to hockey ? or the list of regional hacks ?

Again, if he's not your cup of tea, that's fine. He is immensely popular and has been the SOLE national voice on several things that I think would better the game ( the stop signs on players jerserys, his advocating guys drop the robocop pads).

And if he's so washed up, why is it that at least once a month they show a guy who is doing well, really well, and then they cut back to Grapes extolling this guys AS A KID in some minor midget league? I dont know if its the most recent but about 3-4 months ago they had a profile on him, he lives sleeps and breathes hockey and watches more games than is likely healthy.

What galls a lot of people is that Cherry is opinionated. Don is NOT a journalist, he's an analyst who is paid to offer his opinion. I suspect that a lot of what he says is indeed for effect, but I also think that if he supports an unpopular position he wont back down.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
so a real journalist like damien Cox ? A guy who prefers Tennis to hockey ? or the list of regional hacks ?

Again, if he's not your cup of tea, that's fine. He is immensely popular and has been the SOLE national voice on several things that I think would better the game ( the stop signs on players jerserys, his advocating guys drop the robocop pads).

And if he's so washed up, why is it that at least once a month they show a guy who is doing well, really well, and then they cut back to Grapes extolling this guys AS A KID in some minor midget league? I dont know if its the most recent but about 3-4 months ago they had a profile on him, he lives sleeps and breathes hockey and watches more games than is likely healthy.

What galls a lot of people is that Cherry is opinionated. Don is NOT a journalist, he's an analyst who is paid to offer his opinion. I suspect that a lot of what he says is indeed for effect, but I also think that if he supports an unpopular position he wont back down.

Not any journalist, but Strombo is always well prepared and well researched. Either way, Strombo is not replacing Grapes, and it doesn't matter to me if Cherry is still on because I've stopped watching coaches' corner. I'm just glad they chose Strombo over a chump like Stock.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not any journalist, but Strombo is always well prepared and well researched. Either way, Strombo is not replacing Grapes, and it doesn't matter to me if Cherry is still on because I've stopped watching coaches' corner. I'm just glad they chose Strombo over a chump like Stock.

like pj stock was ever in the running to be the head of HNiC. The choice was strombo over MacLean, and I can see why they would want to go another way. Ron stays with don for another two years and then likely don hangs it up. if in this time Strombo becomes the cat's meow, then MacLean is pretty much done. If it doesn't work out as well they at least have the choice of bringing back a guy they know can do the work ( presumably without grapes)

PJ Stock, If I had better youtube skills I'd post the 6 second nelson muntz clip.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I'm sorry the CNN show was AWFUL, it looked like a public access show for ex-pat canadiens, where only 1% of the audience was in on some inside joke. It was embarrasing, it could not have been worse if he put on a tuque and offered his guests shots of maple syrup. Think " the great white north" with no beer. I was half expecting him to bring out a mouse in a bottle in order to get free beer. I really really wanted him to do well, and CNN promoted the crap out of his show, then it aired.

And the Fan experience is great, but his direct experience with hockey is still largely as a fan. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but if a guy is a fan and it comes across on a NATIONAL broadcast, the cries of "bias and favoritism" will be deafening. I have zero problem believing that Ron MacLean has forgotten more about hockey than Strombo knows ( despite this I wish him well and I'm not some conservative thinking that HNic can never change)

Just wondering, would you want Ghomeshi to be the new host of HNiC ? A great speaker with an absolutely canadian fan base but no real ( or at least identifyable) link to the game ? how long do you think he would last ?

There is no denying that Strombo is trading on his celebrity rather than his suitability. It might work out and it might crash to the earth, its not like if it goes south people in canada are going to hold their tounges about it.
What kind of link to the game did Ron Maclean have when he joined HNIC? Wasn't he a radio dj or something.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What kind of link to the game did Ron Maclean have when he joined HNIC? Wasn't he a radio dj or something.

so because it worked once, thirty years ago, its going to work again ?

In all of these years, ron seemingly strove to be one thing, the moderating voice on NHiC. From what I've seen from Strombo, I doubt he follows the same path ( plus MacLean still refs so at worst that's his "in").

And I'm not anti strombo, I hope he gets a fair skahe because no matter what he does, there are already people sharpening their knives. I think that the show is going to have to change somewhat lest the comparisons to MacLean never stop.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
There is hope. Strombo is fantastic. The old boys club is being broken apart.

Now get rid of Stock, Hrudey, Healey.

If they can get rid of Stock/Healey then there is a huge improvement right there! These 2 should be working for Leafs TV not CBC.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I think there will be more new talent coming in over the next four years. With Scott Moore (Habs fan) at the Sportsnet helm and Strombo ( Habs fan) as main host I think there is potential for us to be happier overall with the product. Small steps.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'm hearing a lot of good things about someone who's locked in at another station: James Duthie. Now that TSN is relegated to second-tier NHL coverage, might he be pried? Is there someone else that could perhaps be swayed, Michel-Bergeron-whoring style?

Cup of tea? Who says that -- sounds like something I'd say if I'd be leaving Radio One on all day. Don't forget DNTO. :sarcasm:

What's with the "sole" national voice thing? Is this a cry from the heart from some Canadian short story writer of the 50s? Nowadays, nothing is so melodramatic. There are Taranna-centric voices that think they're speaking a universal language to the disparate regions of Canada. Cox has done some good stuff but to call him a sole voice is to pretend that there are no other liberal, bleeding heart voices out there. Canada is notorious for breeding them.

Cherry's a smart businessman who has carved out a maketable persona on air, and has used to reap millions from the sale of derivative products bearing his name, glorifying violent behaviour that just happened to not turn out fatal. Like it or not, he's an icon and still connects to a wide enough audience, despite his segment turning into a circus act of gadgetry and wardrobe malfunctions passed off as some kind of branding. Guy is relentless, wouldn't surprise me at all if they end up carting him out during his last appearance, whenever that will be.

Cherry is probably forgiven by some of his detractors for being the product of his era. He's a hard-nosed guy who had to scratch and claw within the deepest bowels of the game -- at many points in his career, not knowing where his next paycheck would come from, or simply managing to lose out the little job security he could have had, by challenging authority and not backing down from those who challenged him, even when they were the ones signing his paycheques. Gotta give it to the guy, giant friggin' balls.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What's with the "sole" national voice thing? Is this a cry from the heart from some Canadian short story writer of the 50s? Nowadays, nothing is so melodramatic. There are Taranna-centric voices that think they're speaking a universal language to the disparate regions of Canada. Cox has done some good stuff but to call him a sole voice is to pretend that there are no other liberal, bleeding heart voices out there. Canada is notorious for breeding them.

I've never heard anyone who wont let go of robocop pads like grapes, he's been saying it for years and gets little credit for it. I think the game would benefit immensely if they did it. Who else on a national stage keeps it up like he does ?

And Cox has done some good stuff ? Damien cox ? Like what ?

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
The guys that cover it presently. I'm not saying they're great but most of these are guys that played the game.

I don't want some hipster like him coming in talking about toffu.

HNIC shouldn't be some light variety show.

Haha, brilliant. So just to be clear: Ron MacLean, Don Cherry, PJ Stock, etc. are "real" men, and George Strombolopolous and anyone who meets your arbitrary definition of a hipster (which possibly includes eating "toffu") aren't.
You, my good friend, are hilarious; I'm hoping intentionally, but guessing not.

P.S. Tofu is delicious.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Haha, brilliant. So just to be clear: Ron MacLean, Don Cherry, PJ Stock, etc. are "real" men, and George Strombolopolous and anyone who meets your arbitrary definition of a hipster (which possibly includes eating "toffu") aren't.
You, my good friend, are hilarious; I'm hoping intentionally, but guessing not.

P.S. Tofu is delicious.

MacLean= ref and 30 year host
Grapes = ahl player, nhl coach
Hockey icon
Stock= former hab/bruin dresses poorly and is a fountain of bad ideas

Stromboli = talk show host, hockey fan.

One if these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong. strombo said he's going to approach the show as a fan, this ain't local sports talk radio.

And do people really bristle at people calling strombo a hipster?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've never heard anyone who wont let go of robocop pads like grapes, he's been saying it for years and gets little credit for it. I think the game would benefit immensely if they did it. Who else on a national stage keeps it up like he does ?

Recently have seen Cherry pimping a plastic lip that would make the boards less hurtful on impact. He's also shown instances of players sustaining injuries to their faces, especially their mouths based on someone getting plastered against the current board configuration. The only thing is, he was also giving free publicity to whoever is manufacturing the product and didn't say whether or not he had an interest in the venture. Seems to me a disclaimer should have been provided. I don't remember him making one, so if he didn't ... that kind of kills off his message, even if the intent is laudable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad