George Strombolopolous Host for HNIC Next Year

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Bob McKenzie
Lots of talk @strombo will this week be named primary face/host of the other guys' nat'l package.

As you can see as per McKenzie he will be the primary host when Sportsnet takes over HNIC next year. It looks like we will be getting a Hab fan as part of the panel.

He also says that Cherry got a 2 year deal, and MacLean will be involved but will not be the main man

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
after reading that title you had up there real fast, I'm just glad that strombo doesn't have ****ing aids.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Big mistake to not have Maclean be the man. At least he was a real journalist.

I hate Sportsnet already.

They shouldn't mess with HNIC. Just do their own thing on their channels and don't fk with a good thing.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

They shouldn't mess with HNIC. Just do their own thing on their channels and don't fk with a good thing.

I don't think so you spend that much to buy the whole shebang you might as well put your stamp on it early on. That way you get all the moaning and teeth grinding out of the way ASAP. Cherry will eventually croak and let face it if it was not for Cherry you can be sure MacLean would have been ousted a while ago in one of those CBC power struggle the national broadcaster is so famous for. The plan is likely to ease both of them out then ease Canadian to the idea that CBC is not having any Hockey in four years. The one that really must go for the sake of all our sanity is Bob Cole. It more than time that HNIC get some fresh air and fresh face anyway.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
If he's going to be the straight man on Cherry's segment it will be an interesting dynamic. Presumably he'd put up more opposition to some of Cherry's more senile ramblings than his current sycophant does.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Oh man, you think Ron Maclean is a 'real' journalist? He's an utter joke who has nothing critical or relevant to add to any conversation. He just tee's up other meat heads and sits there, he hasn't done anything remotely close to journalism in three decades.

Strombo is the host of a show that has real guests, that talk about real topics and he's widely respected in the media field. He's well spoken and has earned the promotion in my eyes. Just because he was a muchmusic VJ does not mean he isn't intelligent and well versed, he's going to be a great addition to the HNIC cast.

Now if thye can keep Friedman, Weeks and Hrudey they'll really be on track. Dropping Healy, Stock, Mullen and these other hacks who can't even be bothered to do the proper research to have correct information in their rants would be anotehr step in the right direction. While I am not a fan of sportsnet, there is a great opportunity here to purge HNIC and start afresh.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Less Ron "Heres a quote that is 5% relevant to the topic of the day" Mclean. Hoping for less Nick Kypreos. More Strombo. I'm a happy man.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I think MacLean proved just how much of a 'journalist' he is next to Peter Mansbridge at Sochi. Which is to say, not much of one.

MacLean is the type of smug drip that sits there smirking until he fires off some awful pun he spent the past 2 days thinking of. Then he invites Gary Bettman and proceeds to whine about how unfair the NHL draft is to a team like the Leafs, and that Canada deserves such and such and Bettman proceeds to school him whilst shaking uncontrolably.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Not a big fan of this announcement. Just don't like GS's interview style... seems to have difficulty stringing along a sentence at times.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I am wondering what MacLean's role is going to be if he isn't the main host? Sportsnet definitely has me intrigued in what their broadcasts are going to look like, and hopefully they keep adding solid hockey people and get rid off the Healy, and Stock. It will be interesting if they are going to bring Cole back or are they going to find more play by play guys. I know they have Hughson and Romanuk as the 1-2 combo but they are going to need a few more.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Not a big fan of this announcement. Just don't like GS's interview style... seems to have difficulty stringing along a sentence at times.

Contrarily to Cherry who opens up with a sentence that rambles on an on and on until wouldnt you know it he started talking about hockey and is now explaining to McClean the way to plant rutabagas left handed on a wednesday during a full moon in Africa... all the while looking like a buffoon in his suits. :shakehead

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'm glad Don is staying on, I know I'm in the majority, but I think HNIC wouldn't be the same without him. It's a running tradition in my house, even if he says some outlandish things.

GS is good hire too, so is Paul Romanuk. I'm liking that Rogers seem to be making some good decisions, at least for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad