OT: George Strombolopolous Confirmed As New Host of HNIC

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I can't stand strombo. I've dis-liked him ever since his VJ days on muchmusic. Just can't stand him...he's like Arsenio Hall for me - he has this way over-interested, over-enthusiastic style of interviewing people where he acts like he's just totally engrossed in every word they are uttering. Comes across as completely smarmy and fake to me...he's also completely un-funny. His comedy bits on his show never get so much as a chuckle from me...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Does this have anything to do with next year and sportsnet? Maybe giving it a trial run?

Certainly has much to do with Sportsnet. The CBC is in a difficult position now, trying to retain its talent. I suspect they are transitioning McLean out of HNIC, and will put him behind the national news desk when Mansbridge retires.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I was a fan of Strombo before any of you, Punk Show baby. :yo: :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I don't see him as an ideal fit. He's got that relaxed, conversational style that would really work as an interviewer or rinkside reporter. As the host of an HNIC panel...eh, I think they could have done better.

Ron gets kinda lame with his puns and non-sequiturs, but he knows how to put dummies like Healy and Stock in their place. I guess he would, he's got 30+ years experience doing it on Coach's Corner.

I think Strombo will be a better host, and he's definitely not going to carry on the talk show persona to HNIC. Ron MacLean makes the show about him a little too much for me outside of Coach's Corner, and IMO that's the worst thing a host can do, especially when they are interviewing someone or moderating.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Certainly has much to do with Sportsnet. The CBC is in a difficult position now, trying to retain its talent. I suspect they are transitioning McLean out of HNIC, and will put him behind the national news desk when Mansbridge retires.

Maybe he'll grow a soul patch and do interviews at 7 PM on CBC.

bazaaa*

Didn't Strombo go to CNN, what happened with that?
** Nevermind just read it didn't do well and canceled.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Seems to me a bad move on Strombo's part, and not because it's not a good gig, but it narrows his focus more than he should allow. He's a great interviewer, I'd say right on par with Jian Ghomeshi. He's kind of wasting his talent :/

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The upside to having George instead of Ron is that, whenever there is an argument involving reffing, George isn't going to defend the Refs to the death... like Ron always does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad