OT: George Strombolopolous Confirmed As New Host of HNIC

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Must admit I have never been a fan of his but Ron will still be there and at least it isn't Michael Landsberg. That guy annoys me.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
definitely seems like a weird replacement.

I love strombo but it does seem weird. We'll see how it goes.

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
At first I thought this was some kind of weird sabotage; but I can respect that Rogers wants to try something different and new to differentiate themselves.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I don't really like the guy. I'm not sure how they'll fit his name on screen. I however cannot wait for grapes to try and pronouce his name. Strombo-lop-icous or Strombolopov

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I was a fan of Strombo before any of you, Punk Show baby. :yo: :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I don't see him as an ideal fit. He's got that relaxed, conversational style that would really work as an interviewer or rinkside reporter. As the host of an HNIC panel...eh, I think they could have done better.

Ron gets kinda lame with his puns and non-sequiturs, but he knows how to put dummies like Healy and Stock in their place. I guess he would, he's got 30+ years experience doing it on Coach's Corner.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I was a fan of Strombo before any of you, Punk Show baby. :yo: :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I don't see him as an ideal fit. He's got that relaxed, conversational style that would really work as an interviewer or rinkside reporter. As the host of an HNIC panel...eh, I think they could have done better.

Ron gets kinda lame with his puns and non-sequiturs, but he knows how to put dummies like Healy and Stock in their place. I guess he would, he's got 30+ years experience doing it on Coach's Corner.

It will be different, that's for sure. I don't even mind Ron MacLean, always liked him to be honest. :dunno:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
It will be different, that's for sure. I don't even mind Ron MacLean, always liked him to be honest. :dunno:

I disliked him when he defended a referee that got fired from the NHL over the whole thing with Burrows and Auger.

I now hate him after reading his book. He is the most condescending person in hockey.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
What I'd like to know is how the eff did they manage to coerce Paul Romanuk to cross the pond again?

Apparently he'll be the #2 guy behind Hughson

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
perhaps fewer matineee games for the Jets.

Saturdays – Hockey Night in Canada
More than 130 regular season games airing nationally on Saturday nights
Up to 7 games each Saturday, airing on CBC, City, Sportsnet, Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, and FX Canada:
7 p.m. ET: 3 - 5 games
10 p.m. ET: 1 - 2 games
Tripleheaders on occasion

That makes it sound like it won't be every Saturday. Hopefully 'on occason' means at most 3 or 4 times. Because you know every matinee would include the Jets.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
perhaps fewer matineee games for the Jets.

Saturdays – Hockey Night in Canada
More than 130 regular season games airing nationally on Saturday nights
Up to 7 games each Saturday, airing on CBC, City, Sportsnet, Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, and FX Canada:
7 p.m. ET: 3 - 5 games
10 p.m. ET: 1 - 2 games
Tripleheaders on occasion

That makes it sound like it won't be every Saturday. Hopefully 'on occason' means at most 3 or 4 times. Because you know every matinee would include the Jets.

Why on earth would they put games on FX Canada? That eliminates Bell subscribers from being able to watch those games. It isn't available on Bell.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Maybe it will be? I'm not sure why FX Canada would be needed. Perhaps if there were 5 games at 7 and 2 games at 10, they might need the extra network to ensure that everything is available nationally.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sounds like MacLean was passed over, personally think it's a good move MacLean seemed to be getting a little stale and way too nostalgic of late pandering to Cherry who seems to be living in the past with more and more stories about life in the AHL back in 1952!:shakehead

johnnynucleo

SleepyBeepy
Aug 29, 2011
Must admit I have never been a fan of his but Ron will still be there and at least it isn't Michael Landsberg. That guy annoys me.

Will Ron still be there? Isn't the point of Strombo hiring to take over for Ron's hosting duties on both Coach's Corner, and the Panel? What will Ron be doing now?

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Will Ron still be there? Isn't the point of Strombo hiring to take over for Ron's hosting duties on both Coach's Corner, and the Panel? What will Ron be doing now?

Ron will be doing Coach's Corner. That is it for Saturday's. Apparently he's the man for the new Sunday show.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00