George McPhee II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The idea that technical expertise in leadership roles is paramount is outdated. OB research supports it and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence out there. Carlos Ghosn at Nissan. Meg Whitman at Ebay and HP. Paul Idzik at Etrade. Kevin Sharer at Amgen. Bob Nardelli at Home Depot.

Pro sports is insular. Probably because the guys running the show like it that way. That doesn't make it right any more than it makes it wrong.

http://www.ceoqmagazine.com/mostrespectedceos/topceolessons.htm

Well, those examples aren't exactly equivalent to a sports franchises either.

All of the people you mentioned were extraordinary in "business", so they are able to run a "business" with which they are not familiar with the product or the template. However, they understand the dynamics of leadership, and of well run organizations...and have been part of that.

Were you to ask someone like that to be, say, a team President for a Franchise, then I see it, easily.

But to be the the architect of that team (or GM), then I do believe that experience in the field matters.

You would never see any of your aforementioned people running the R&D of those firms. They would be out of their league, and would fail miserably. A GM needs to know the product, much like a head of R&D does.

So your equivalencies are made under a false pretense, IMO

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I will tell you what I know. I created the programming on radio stations for half or more of a 25 year commercial radio career.

I'd be shocked to find a radio listener with no knowledge of the industry beyond listening to the radio could come close to building a decent on air product.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It seems like its often who you know, not what you know, that gets you promoted in America.

Look at some of the political appointees. How about Doug Brown. Head of FEMA during Katrina. Yet somehow had no experience in disaster management. There are literally countless examples out there. I am sure many people here see brown nosers getting promos, or their company bringing in some "bigwig" overpaid buffoon that turns out to not know dick. And screws up things royally. First thing he does - is brings in "his" guys.

"Brownie" now hosts a talk radio show now. I wonder what his experiences were that landed him that job.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
The idea that technical expertise in leadership roles is paramount is outdated. OB research supports it and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence out there. Carlos Ghosn at Nissan. Meg Whitman at Ebay and HP. Paul Idzik at Etrade. Kevin Sharer at Amgen. Bob Nardelli at Home Depot.

Pro sports is insular. Probably because the guys running the show like it that way. That doesn't make it right any more than it makes it wrong.

http://www.ceoqmagazine.com/mostrespectedceos/topceolessons.htm

I disagree that pro sports is insular when discussing a GMs role.....and to me all this equates to ownership anyway

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Leonsis will probably just conclude the reason they're losing is the Redskins name and come out for changing it. :sarcasm:

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
It's ok guys. We'll be 5 points out of the playoffs and McPhee will trade Kuznetsov at the deadline to Dallas for our new permanent 4C, Shawn Horcoff.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hey let's fire McPhee and appoint Leonsis GM. He's clearly good at business so he can take over as GM and "expect to win championships"....

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Do you guys really think they announce an extension for GMGM.

"You know Ted lets just keep this one to ourselves. No one else has our vision for this team. And you know I really like what we have"

champ19

May 1, 2010
What the caps need is a second line center with speed and tenacity, somebody who can penalty kill, somebody you can put out against say Joe Thorton, head to head and he wont come out second best. Where o where can we get a player like that? Cody Eakin 1st star, toi 21.40, 1 goal 1 assist Joe Thorton 0 pts -2. Of all of Mcphees stupidity and the list is endless, this will be the gift that keeps on giving. And because he's the font of all knowledge in things relating to GMing he threw in a second round pick just to prove how smart he was.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What the caps need is a second line center with speed and tenacity, somebody who can penalty kill, somebody you can put out against say Joe Thorton, head to head and he wont come out second best. Where o where can we get a player like that? Cody Eakin 1st star, toi 21.40, 1 goal 1 assist Joe Thorton 0 pts -2. Of all of Mcphees stupidity and the list is endless, this will be the gift that keeps on giving. And because he's the font of all knowledge in things relating to GMing he threw in a second round pick just to prove how smart he was.

I'd just as soon prefer to think that Cody Eakin was never drafted by the Caps...

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
McPhee has built teams for reaching the playoffs, but not for success in the playoffs. The Erat trade is exhibit A.

He understand's Ted and delivers what Ted wants, playoff game$ at the phone booth.

The best thing that could happen to this organization is for this team not to make the playoffs this season and not even being close so that there should be no fence sitting when the TDL arrives as to whether they are buyers or sellers. Perhaps then and only then Ted realizes that the oranization needs to move in that famous "another direction".

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
McPhee has built teams for reaching the playoffs, but not for success in the playoffs. The Erat trade is exhibit A.

I buy the general premise but Erat is a legit top 6 guy. I don't think he is a good example at all. I think a healthy Erat is a factor in the playoffs. He certainly isn't a passenger.

If you want to point to his teams not doing well in the playoffs just look at his refusal to fix the 2LD situation or to run with substandard goaltending multiple times. Or to overpay for guys like Erskine and Laich and Neuvirth and Brouwer.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Keeping Wilson up reeks of another trying to save his job move. Even if Wilson is good enough. Wasting a year to help a team that is failing in every way possible makes no sense at all. This team has the worst asset management I have even seen.

Time to let go of this "Young Gun" vision GMGM holds onto to tight. That ship has sailed and its clear GMGM does not have the ability to surround OV with enough talent to make a winner.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
As an Orioles fan, can we stop referring to McPhee and McPhail (or similar)? Andy MacPhail was a huge part of turning the Orioles around, and he deserves respect. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce