George McPhee II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberati0n*

No you don't know. You like to think you do but none of us do.

We don't know how NHL scouts and management valued Filip. What we DO KNOW is that he was projected as the #3 pick and fell to #11.

I find it funny how you all are ABSOLUTELY certain his value (to other NHL GMs and front offices whom none of you have intimate knowledge about) is more than Erat+Latta.

I do know. It's a matter of public record. Darren Dreger, who is plugged in well to the trade market, said if Forsberg was moving, "the return must be huge." Another GM said he didn't even know Forsberg was available (and would have made a better offer). It is obviously possible that no better offer by McPhee's standard at the time would have worked out, but the fact that he didn't even try to maximize the return is inexcusable.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Silverberg was a proven player (or at least not a true prospect) tho so he surpassed being a draft pick by the time Anaheim made that trade. They saw him play and produce at the NHL level.

Again...you know little to nothing about how "highly rated" FF really was or how much his stock fell after the draft. None of us do.

Martin Erat is not out of gas as you are trying to imply and Latta looks to be an NHLer for his hitting/D/agitation/grit alone.

You do know that Kelly Miller was a "3rd liner" too right? Konowalchuk too. Don't try to lower the value of a player who can contribute.

In his last 51 games played Erat has 5 goals and 24 assists. He's 31 years old. What are you expecting this season from the $4.5 million first liner? 20-40 would be worth his paycheck. What's your projection?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
In his last 51 games played Erat has 5 goals and 24 assists. He's 31 years old. What are you expecting this season from the $4.5 million first liner? 20-40 would be worth his paycheck. What's your projection?

Wait..you want to judge a player based on the criteria of the last 51 games he played? Don't you think it would be more accurate to look at the body of work?

He is 31. Not 35 or 36. He clearly has gas left in the tank and has looked great on the top line.

I can see him chipping in 15 goals and 30-40 assits this year. I don't think thats outlandish or far off from what you want considering he spent the 1st 8-10 games on the 4th line. He also has great possession numbers does he not?

He's a good defender and finishes his checks to boot so the contributions go beyond the box score numbers.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if erat is going to play of the first line, isn't the bare minimum acceptable approaching a point per game? its already been established that the completely unworthy marcus Johansson was putting up nearly a ppg and proving that anyone could do it. so, if erat cant produce at least at the same rate that Johansson, wouldn't that be a failure?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
PPG is right.

How many points on average per year do Nick and Ovi get on the power play?

Expecting a point per game from Erat without PP time is short sighted.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
if erat is going to play of the first line, isn't the bare minimum acceptable approaching a point per game? its already been established that the completely unworthy marcus Johansson was putting up nearly a ppg and proving that anyone could do it. so, if erat cant produce at least at the same rate that Johansson, wouldn't that be a failure?

We all know MJ has earned a temporary repreive right now.

Laich/Brouwer/Green are the new chairs of the goat-board. For now these three have the reigns and MJ will have to bide his time.

Liberati0n*

Obviously he should be fired, but I have no idea how people see the Orlov situation as his fault.

Burakovsky95*

Obviously he should be fired, but I have no idea how people see the Orlov situation as his fault.

IMO stop ****ing calling him up and just leave him in ****ing Hershey. That yo-yo effect has to **** with Orlov's head.

Liberati0n*

IMO stop ****ing calling him up and just leave him in ****ing Hershey. That yo-yo effect has to **** with Orlov's head.

You actually believe the guy is traveling to Washington? They're paper transactions to avoid that January 1st clause taking effect. What a stupid justification anyway.

Burakovsky95*

You actually believe the guy is traveling to Washington? They're paper transactions to avoid that January 1st clause taking effect. What a stupid justification anyway.

Who hired Oates again? Thanks for your nice response though.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
That's fine. He should be held accountable for picking Oates, but he's not directly responsible for Oates' decisions.

He's directly responsible for buying into Oates' handedness obsession.

I have no problem with trading Forsberg, but he traded him because "there's no room on the right side". First off, that's ******** because Brouwer is a joke. Second off, then move him to the damn left side.

That led to trading for Erat, putting him at a position he's hardly played, not playing Orlov, etc.

It's ********.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
1st. The Caps traded Forsberg because they have questions about his foot speed and quite frankly do not think he is as good as a prospect as many are reporting. They certinaly did not think he was anywhere close to NHL ready like most felt. Which may have been true considering he was sent down to the AHL this season. But any other theory on why the Caps were willing to give up Forsberg is just wrong.

2nd. I am actually looking at this Erat trade request as a huge positive. The worst thing anyone can do is fail to admit they made a mistake and try to "make it work". The truth is there is not a GM in the league and maybe not a man on earth that wants to admit they did something wrong. Erat, no doubt a quality player, did not and is not working out here. However, there is no way McPhee would have moved him unless this happened. At least this way we can get something back for him and move on.

Now if only Brouwer could request a trade we would be all set. But seriously, stop crying about Forsberg. Is isn't going to be a star.

Liberati0n*

He's directly responsible for buying into Oates' handedness obsession.

I have no problem with trading Forsberg, but he traded him because "there's no room on the right side". First off, that's ******** because Brouwer is a joke. Second off, then move him to the damn left side.

That led to trading for Erat, putting him at a position he's hardly played, not playing Orlov, etc.

It's ********.

That was just an excuse. He was traded because they needed a winger to make the playoffs/for the playoffs. Oates is very passive aggressive and will deliberately make lineup choices that force McPhee to facilitate the handedness compulsion.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
boo-this-man.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
1st. The Caps traded Forsberg because they have questions about his foot speed and quite frankly do not think he is as good as a prospect as many are reporting. They certinaly did not think he was anywhere close to NHL ready like most felt. Which may have been true considering he was sent down to the AHL this season. But any other theory on why the Caps were willing to give up Forsberg is just wrong.

2nd. I am actually looking at this Erat trade request as a huge positive. The worst thing anyone can do is fail to admit they made a mistake and try to "make it work". The truth is there is not a GM in the league and maybe not a man on earth that wants to admit they did something wrong. Erat, no doubt a quality player, did not and is not working out here. However, there is no way McPhee would have moved him unless this happened. At least this way we can get something back for him and move on.

Now if only Brouwer could request a trade we would be all set. But seriously, stop crying about Forsberg. Is isn't going to be a star.

I actually agree with this.

Vladiator16*

When Pittsburgh fans are voting in our poll to keep GMGM, you know what has to happen, pull the trigger Ted.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
That was just an excuse. He was traded because they needed a winger to make the playoffs/for the playoffs. Oates is very passive aggressive and will deliberately make lineup choices that force McPhee to facilitate the handedness compulsion.

If it was an excuse to trade him, they are doing everything in their power to hold it as a fact.

Brouwer hasn't budged out of that 2RW spot, and he has ONE even strength point after a TEN EVpts season last year.

I just don't see why he's "glued" to that spot. Nobody else on the team, sans-Ovechkin, has that luxury. Why does Brouwer?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
****ing terrible GM. They have to be a lottery team again for him to be fired with Ted at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad