Signing(s): Geno Smith signs extension with the Seahawks (3 years, $105 million)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His time in Seattle was the first time he's had success since college, he would have been crazy to leave
For Hackett as OC with jets after what happened in Denver? Pass….

Daboll would be an upgrade over what Seattle has in coaching. Weapons…. Metcalf and Lockett how does NYG match that?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
NY also worst turf in nfl plus Seattle WA is a no state income tax. Think Geno made the right call. He returns to the same HC and OC for multiple years. Ain’t broke so don’t try to fix it.
Yeah.. He is in the best possible spot for Geno.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Smith also said he wants to finish his career in Seattle. Of course there's a part of that's just for the camera but likely that there is some emotional attachment there as Seattle gave him a chance to revive his career and worked with him. Carroll was recently talking about the time Smith has put on and that when he went 15/15 a couple of years back when Wilson was out they realized they really had something in him. Of course they took a QB back in the deal but for sure they must have expected Smith was good enough to step up for the franchise and that the QB competition was always his to lose, despite the competition. I don't think they ever really expected Lock to be the guy. They treated him as more than a game manager from week 1. He threw 44 passes in week 3 and he's not calling any plays.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I just thought the Jets and Giants probably will be better in the immediate future. Seattle is still rebuilding IMO. Easier to win more games.
If the Seahawks can nail this draft and get their front 7 sorted via that and free agency they won't be far away from contending. They already got most of the O-line pieces in, have a stud RB, 2 good receivers and some good rookie corners.

Front 7 (in draft and FA), center, 3rd WR and cut/restructure Jamal Adams and your close in a division where hte Cardinals will likely suck, Rams in cap hell and the 49ers will need to start paying people soon.

Not saying they'll be contenders next year yet but I think they see Geno Smith as a bridge QB, similar to Alex Smith when at the Chiefs where he'll likely keep you competitive and be a good mentor. They may take a QB this year to sit for a year or 2. Going by Geno's deal it seems very likely.

Jets on the other hand- extremely hard path in a stacked AFC (and they look like they may take Rodgers).

Giants- your stuck with the Eagles in your division who have another 2 years or so championship window and the Cowboys who while I don't think are contenders with Dak will most likely at least make the play offs.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That‘s a lot of money for Geno.

I’m not overly sold on any of the QBs in this years draft class. Take the best defensive player with the DEN pick then BPA for their second first rounder.

Don’t love it but don’t hate it. Feels like they overpaid though.

I think that's the going rate for QB's this off season, you see what the Giants did for Daniel Jones as an example. I get it, maybe Seattle drafts a QB this year or maybe not. Maybe they go defense, they do need pieces. But the offense for the Seahawks looks to be good going into 2023.

They need more pieces on the defensive side of the ball, possibly some offensive line help as well.
I don't hate the signing, I think Geno Smith in the Pete Carroll system is great for him and it works.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Good signing. He lead the league in completion % last year.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The more you hear about the details of the contract the more it seems like Seattle could get out after 1 year. So many incentives in the contract. I'm sure he's happy with the guaranteed money up front but there is a ton of incentives in that contract that protects Seattle should his form dip and benefit Smith if he plays well again.

I'm convinced Seattle takes QB now, just a matter of where. I think they need to take defence at 5, especially if Jalen Carter falls there. They badly need help at Defensive tackle and there is a lack of them in the draft and in free agency, they can't be run all over again. So either QB at 20 or in the 2nd round.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The more you hear about the details of the contract the more it seems like Seattle could get out after 1 year. So many incentives in the contract. I'm sure he's happy with the guaranteed money up front but there is a ton of incentives in that contract that protects Seattle should his form dip and benefit Smith if he plays well again.

I'm convinced Seattle takes QB now, just a matter of where. I think they need to take defence at 5, especially if Jalen Carter falls there. They badly need help at Defensive tackle and there is a lack of them in the draft and in free agency, they can't be run all over again. So either QB at 20 or in the 2nd round.
After the top 4, doesn’t seem like another QB cracks round 1. Hooker drops because he’s redshirting due to his acl. No preseason or camp for him in terms of contact. So he won’t get the reps that AR will get even if both are not playing in 2023.

So he will be a bit further behind. Don’t see him going until round 2.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
After the top 4, doesn’t seem like another QB cracks round 1. Hooker drops because he’s redshirting due to his acl. No preseason or camp for him in terms of contact. So he won’t get the reps that AR will get even if both are not playing in 2023.

So he will be a bit further behind. Don’t see him going until round 2.
Hooker makes sense. We can afford not to rush him and heal up/learn.

It's still too early to tell what other teams will do with moving up/free agency at QB. Pete is talking up Anthony Richardson but I wonder if he is a combine freak athlete rather than a good QB and he's using it as a smoke screen. We won't draft anyone that's a turnover machine.

I still wish Penix had committed to the draft this year. I think he'd have been a great 2nd/3rd round prospect. He's got all the tools, just had bad injuries which dropped his stock.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hooker makes sense. We can afford not to rush him and heal up/learn.

It's still too early to tell what other teams will do with moving up/free agency at QB. Pete is talking up Anthony Richardson but I wonder if he is a combine freak athlete rather than a good QB and he's using it as a smoke screen. We won't draft anyone that's a turnover machine.

I still wish Penix had committed to the draft this year. I think he'd have been a great 2nd/3rd round prospect. He's got all the tools, just had bad injuries which dropped his stock.
Richardson.. he’s not someone a team should take unless the GM and HC are stable for the next couple of seasons. With Seattle the worry I have is not Pete but with Waldron the OC because if he gets plucked away to be a HC then you start the offence from scratch and AR has to learn a new one.

If AR lands in Carolina Reich the HC is an offensive guy whereas Pete is defensive. So even if Reich’s OC got plucked AR would still have Reich.

Allen in year 5 didn’t look as good without OC Daboll.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

$17.4 mill dead cap if he's off the roster in before 2024 season. Could split that over 2 years at $10 and $7.4 mill approx. Solid deal. Jones agent did a great job for him. Though with such a long stretch for Geno, probably didn't want to take his chances on the open market and he gets to remain with the same HC and OC that he's been with for 3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad